PDA

View Full Version : Socmar

roxieb
12-12-08, 05:13 AM
Hi - Some background info: I am almost done with my BA degree, but decided not to wait any longer and enlisted. However, I would still like to finish my degree. My recruiter mentioned that an advantage of the Marine Corps is the SOCMAR program which allows you to finish school concurrent with your military career. None of the recruiters at my RS have used the program (apart from MCI). Just wondering if any Marine on here has taken (or is currently taking) advantage of the SOCMAR program and what their experience with the program has been. How hard is it to finish a course while on active duty with all other time constraints? How many units do you recommend taking at a time? Thanks.

Wyoming
12-12-08, 07:46 AM
Hi - Some background info: I am almost done with my BA degree, but decided not to wait any longer and enlisted. However, I would still like to finish my degree. My recruiter mentioned that an advantage of the Marine Corps is the SOCMAR program which allows you to finish school concurrent with your military career. None of the recruiters at my RS have used the program (apart from MCI). Just wondering if any Marine on here has taken (or is currently taking) advantage of the SOCMAR program and what their experience with the program has been. How hard is it to finish a course while on active duty with all other time constraints? How many units do you recommend taking at a time? Thanks.

Why, why, why?

Almost finished with your degree and you enlisted.

Why, why, why?

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-12-08, 08:25 AM
I left school to enlist as well. Not everyone wants to be an officer, or thinks they have to finish before doing something else.

There are many plans out there to help you finish your degree. That said, being a Marine comes first. You don't get to sit out deployments because you have a class to take. You go where you're going to go and try to work things around it. It will take you longer to get done, but if you're really close to being finished you shouldn't have a problem doing what needs to be done in the 4 years you're on active duty.

0231Marine
12-12-08, 09:09 AM
I left school to enlist as well. Not everyone wants to be an officer, or thinks they have to finish before doing something else.

I can understand that but there are no certainties concerning finishing your degree while on active duty. If you want to enlist, that's fine but if you're in college and close to finishing, I would highly recommend finishing your degree and then look at enlisting. That way, if you do enlist, you'll have your degree anyways and if you decide to get out, you won't have to go back to school and you can use your GI Bill on secondary education (Masters Degree) and then you'll really be set!

It would also make him more attractive if he wanted to do MECEP or something like that because he'll have his Bacehlors already.

Finish your education first...the Marine Corps isn't going anywhere!

UsmcMotorT
12-12-08, 01:10 PM
SOCMAR or not, you are able to go to school and be in the military at the same time. If you go some place like American Military University you can take 6-15 credits (an accredited online University). If you're going to a brick and mortor college I would say 1 class a semester because it's "in-seat."

roxieb
12-12-08, 03:44 PM
First of all, thank you for all the replies. To explain my choice of putting the break on school: I desperately need a break from the humdrum, mundane school life. Been at it for a while and putting off the Marine Corps since high school. I'm not getting any younger. I have 20 units left, not much, I can finish that either in the Corps or in one semester when I leave. I just wanted to know what pace is reasonable from those Marines that have undergone the program. I'm planning on using the GI for law school, so I'd rather finish the BA while in if possible. This is, however, while understanding that I will be a Marine first and foremost.Thanks again.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 03:53 PM
So it's kinda of like a summer vacation for you, then?

Marine84
12-12-08, 06:38 PM
ha ha ha ha.....................this should be interesting.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 09:12 PM
Got this by PM; I believe another young lady in the same boat. Apparently this thrill-seeking is contagious...

I would reply in the thread but for some reason I cant post in the Ask A Marine threads. Anyway I really do not think roxieb meant the Marines would be a summer vacation for her. No offense but I thin she is just saying she wants to do more than just school. Some people don't want just a mundane life of school. I understand it because I am continuing school but I don't want to just have the regular school life. And if she cannot explain her reasons for joining it doesn't mean there isn't a good reason. I can't explain my reasons very well but I now there a good reasons to me. I figure you just want to challenge her but you know she never suggested it as a summer vacation. And if she truly does think that...damn Parris Island alone will be a wake up call.

Just for the record, I'm not picking on any college kids here. I just don't think becoming a Marine is the same as changing your major; it is a major change. (Yes I thought of that all by myself...:D) In fact, I'm not challenging anyone. As I said in my reply, I am just trying to understand the points being made by people who muddle through a post. What are you trying to say here? There is nothing wrong with joining the Marine Corps for excitement; just saying it will take more than that to sustain you through the hard times.

Semper Fi to all and to all a good night,
Chris:flag:

roxieb
12-12-08, 10:29 PM
In NO WAY do I consider joining the United States Marine Corps a "summer vacation," nor would I compare it to changing a course of study. I don't appreciate the assumption that I am joining on a whim -- I know well what I am dedicating the next 4 years (or more) of my life to. I thought I was pretty clear in my post -- I mentioned how I have been putting the Marine Corps off FOR SCHOOL and got tired of waiting, I simply wanted to know how it has worked out for other Marines, but apparently I did not make myself clear enough.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 10:42 PM
In NO WAY do I consider joining the United States Marine Corps a "summer vacation," nor would I compare it to changing a course of study. I don't appreciate the assumption that I am joining on a whim -- I know well what I am dedicating the next 4 years (or more) of my life to. I thought I was pretty clear in my post -- I mentioned how I have been putting the Marine Corps off FOR SCHOOL and got tired of waiting, I simply wanted to know how it has worked out for other Marines, but apparently I did not make myself clear enough.

This ain't BK, lady, and you won't always get it your way. You might look for one answer and get another question in return. If you don't like it, ignore me. If you are tired of being misunderstood, then write more clearly. And don't even get on a soapbox about how you understand exactly what you are in for, because unless you are the general's daughter, married to a DI and divorced from a Combat Instructor, then you don't know. Even kids who grow up in the Corps have a few things to learn, so settle down, crack one open and try to have a good time here...:beer:

roxieb
12-12-08, 10:55 PM
I was clear and only misunderstood by what seems to be one person. Don't exactly know what you mean by "my way." I was looking for one simple answer, not snide comments about what my motives for joining the Marine Corps are.

Secondly, I don't assume to know what the Marine Corps is until I get there, but I understand the seriousness of it -- that was my point. I don't quite get where the confusion is. And you are right, for future reference, I will ignore useless answers.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 10:59 PM
Fair winds and following seas, then. You need to find Kim and give her some azz whoopin' lessons. She's getting soft on us lately..:sick:

ps
Don't spit into the wind or whiz on the electric fence :-D

Wyoming
12-12-08, 11:35 PM
Fair winds and following seas, then. You need to find Kim and give her some azz whoopin' lessons. She's getting soft on us lately..:sick:

ps
Don't spit into the wind or whiz on the electric fence :-D

Dagnabbit, I go to the Outdoor Shop & Cowboy Store for a few simple Christmas presents and you guys get all the fun.

'pears to me as we have another sensitive one here.

Iffen she is gonna jump on me Sister, I want the time noted. I gots to be here and will even make the popcorn.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 11:37 PM
Dagnabbit, I go to the Outdoor Shop & Cowboy Store for a few simple Christmas presents and you guys get all the fun.

'pears to me as we have another sensitive one here.

Iffen she is gonna jump on me Sister, I want the time noted. I gots to be here and will even make the popcorn.

Read her post again. This is obviously MY misunderstanding. Obviously everyone else understood. Never been accused of being the brightest, and I AM a man, so... :banana:

yellowwing
12-12-08, 11:51 PM
All Ya"ll Stop This Posting Other's Private Messages In Public

This is the second separate incident of this and both ended in misunderstanding and grief.