PDA

View Full Version : 0311 or 0331

poolie
12-12-08, 04:18 AM
I'm about to go to PI JAN 12 2009 and i was wondering if i could get some information on 0311 and 0331. I was wondering what they go through while deployed. I'm 5'9 and 195 pounds ( mostly muscle) if i did 0311 would they likely stick me with the SAW. and if that happens should i just be 0331 so at least i don't have to walk around with a heavy weapon. I also don't know if i would rather be a supportive role of the 0331 or the close combat of 0311. and information regarding which is "better" would be helpful.

Poolee Harrison

KawiGunny
12-12-08, 06:51 AM
The SAW gets passed around as people make rank or show what they are made of. Some units give the SAW to the new guy and that is wrong. Thats not what that weapon was meant for. It doesn't matter how tall you are, how much you weigh or how much muscle you have. I was born an 0331 and some of my best friends and fellow Marines (0331's) were actually pretty wimpy looking. But that never detered them from completing the task they were assigned. Size doesn't matter. Although some women may differ with me. Sheer guts and determination are what matters. 0311 or 0331, it doesn't matter at the end of the day. In combat you both will have plenty of work to do which compliments each others weapon systems. Everyone is supporting someone else.

brian21johansen
12-12-08, 07:13 AM
What the Gunnery SGT. said.

By the way "poolie".............when you made your user name did you ever think about how stupid it will sound IF you make it through recruit training?

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-12-08, 07:39 AM
The smallest Marine in my boot camp platoon, and one of the smallest Marines I ever saw, ended up being a 31.

The SAW should be given to the second most senior member of a fire team. A boot really doesn't understand how the gun should be used, they are better used carrying ammo for the thing, or an extra barrel, something like that.

I hate that 31s don't patrol with the 11s any more. When they ditched the M60 it changed the way the gunners were used, and I never met an 11 that thought it was a good thing.

KawiGunny
12-12-08, 07:48 AM
The SAW should be given to the second most senior member of a fire team. A boot really doesn't understand how the gun should be used, they are better used carrying ammo for the thing, or an extra barrel, something like that.

I hate that 31s don't patrol with the 11s any more. When they ditched the M60 it changed the way the gunners were used, and I never met an 11 that thought it was a good thing.

You are correct about the SAW. We have had to many "Shootings" during training because the New Guy was carrying the SAW.

They make attachments for the 240 but the Corps will never buy them for the Infantry Bn's. Supposedly they make grips like the ones we had on the M60E3. Wish they would have just made a few modifications to that weapon and kept it alive. Great piece of gear.

Pete0331
12-12-08, 09:46 AM

Depends on the unit.
We patrolled with the 11's all the time when we were attached out.

The 240 is a GPMG and it does great for what it is, but I would rather have a 240 with a shorter barrel and fore grip.

JordanB
12-12-08, 10:33 AM
you dont want the saw, take my word for it dont be dumb and motovated and ask for it (yes I learned my lesson)

Quinbo
12-12-08, 12:44 PM
The idea that saw gunners in your words "have to walk around with a heavy weapon" while 31's do not is silly. I hit the fleet at the same time that the saw did so only the boots knew how to use one. A lad fresh out of SOI has recieved the most recent and up to date training with the saw. No reason why a pvt, pfc can't fill the billet of saw gunner. It probably won't happen but being new should not be a disqualifying factor for carrying one.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-12-08, 01:07 PM
I didn't even really think about that. While heavy guns do tend to ride quite often, they're going to be walking plenty as well. And humping the M2 isn't fun. The MK19 is worse in my mind. The 240 wouldn't be bad, but it would be worse than an M16 or SAW.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 01:26 PM
The idea that saw gunners in your words "have to walk around with a heavy weapon" while 31's do not is silly. I hit the fleet at the same time that the saw did so only the boots knew how to use one. A lad fresh out of SOI has recieved the most recent and up to date training with the saw. No reason why a pvt, pfc can't fill the billet of saw gunner. It probably won't happen but being new should not be a disqualifying factor for carrying one.

You are right, but it shouldn't be his only qualification for the job. If a team leader just gives it to "the boot" and then forgets about it, they are in for a world of hurt downrange. Having said that, it can really make a Marine, as the most junior guy understands his stake in the team/squad's survival. As long as you work with him and show him the ropes (i.e. TL better know his **** too!) it can be a viable solution for the unit. When I first got to the fleet, there were still E4 SAW gunners by choice, because they were veterans of the March and the Push and understood the importance of that much maligned piece of hardware.

As for you, "POOLIE" you need to start thinking long and hard about what you are trying to accomplish here. Everyone of those weapons needs to make it to the battlefield-are you just going to wait for the other guy to do it?

In a line company, our 31s and 51's trained as attachments providing support by fire, but they can't get there alone. They always patrolled as part of a squad/platoon, but who needs a 240 or a SMAW in the middle of a rushing line? They were far more useful in a designated support by fire pos. Same job 99% of the time, and a real critical position during that last 1%.

smoking gunz
12-16-08, 04:01 PM
You should decide what you really want to do. Its four years that you will have that mos. I was a 0331 and loved it. We trained with the 11's and would train with them with our 240's and then without. You need to know both jobs as a 0331. While deployed my first time due to injuries and kia's I was taken from my gun team and was with the 11's for two weeks. We always patrolled with the 11's with our m240's. So be prepared for anything. When sh*t hits the fan as I was told by the 11's the 240 opening up with hell behind it was music to their ears. When you open up with a 240 everyone will quickly know your presence is there. I loved knowing I had the biggest gun on a patrol, it was also like a comfort blanket knowing if anything happend the fire power had in my hands. My opinion 0331 all the way. Best mos in the corps. Oh and when all the 11's have to do working parties machine gunners cant. We have to clean our 240's. Or at least pretend to until the working party is over.

davblay
12-16-08, 04:09 PM
I'm about to go to PI JAN 12 2009 and i was wondering if i could get some information on 0311 and 0331. I was wondering what they go through while deployed. I'm 5'9 and 195 pounds ( mostly muscle) if i did 0311 would they likely stick me with the SAW. and if that happens should i just be 0331 so at least i don't have to walk around with a heavy weapon. I also don't know if i would rather be a supportive role of the 0331 or the close combat of 0311. and information regarding which is "better" would be helpful.

Poolee Harrison
After 10 post form Marines, no one noticed that this Guy/gal had filled out his/her profile! It's kind of like talking to yourself, ain' it? The poster needs to fill out his/her profile and read the rules (attention to details, Marines)!

I mean this kid may be a boy, or a girl, 12 or 22, we don't know anything about him/her!

Dave

Quinbo
12-16-08, 04:17 PM
It rapidly became a discussion among Marines ... thanks for the correction

Accord
12-21-08, 04:12 PM
you dont want the saw, take my word for it dont be dumb and motovated and ask for it (yes I learned my lesson)

Quit crying, I humped a SAW all over Afghanistan with a full combat load of 1,400 rounds of linked 5.56 on my body. I don't know how it was over in Iraq for you but we were in 12+ hour firefights every single day and when sh/t hits the fan you quit crying about how much your SAW weighs real fast when your entire platoon is relying on YOU to suppress the enemy.

In my company we don't give the SAW to boots, it's just that simple. We need someone who knows how to effectively use the weapon properly, and that is not going to be a boot, doesn't matter if they're fresh out of SOI because SOI is just a haze fest and you don't learn any practical real world skills. Doesn't matter how many ranges you go to or IA drills you do, if you're a boot in my company you're not getting the SAW.

The whole notion that 31's don't hump is a load of crap. We never went out on a patrol without a 31 humping the 240 and an a-gunner carrying his ammo. Having a 240 with us was absolutely essential to being combat effective.

If you pick your MOS based on how much of a ***** you are, then you're going to be in for a rude awakening. So you choose 0311 in order to avoid humping a 240? Well guess what pal, you'll be humping a full combat load of 7.62 along with your entire combat loadout for your 16 which is a hell of a lot heavier than a 240 and you won't even get to shoot the 240. And if you cry about it you'll just be given even more **** to carry. Oh and let's not forget the AT4 that you're going to carry but when it's game time you'll be passing it off to your team leader to actually fire it.

Zulu 36
12-21-08, 05:30 PM
Quit crying, I humped a SAW all over Afghanistan with a full combat load of 1,400 rounds of linked 5.56 on my body. I don't know how it was over in Iraq for you but we were in 12+ hour firefights every single day and when sh/t hits the fan you quit crying about how much your SAW weighs real fast when your entire platoon is relying on YOU to suppress the enemy.

In my company we don't give the SAW to boots, it's just that simple. We need someone who knows how to effectively use the weapon properly, and that is not going to be a boot, doesn't matter if they're fresh out of SOI because SOI is just a haze fest and you don't learn any practical real world skills. Doesn't matter how many ranges you go to or IA drills you do, if you're a boot in my company you're not getting the SAW.

The whole notion that 31's don't hump is a load of crap. We never went out on a patrol without a 31 humping the 240 and an a-gunner carrying his ammo. Having a 240 with us was absolutely essential to being combat effective.

If you pick your MOS based on how much of a ***** you are, then you're going to be in for a rude awakening. So you choose 0311 in order to avoid humping a 240? Well guess what pal, you'll be humping a full combat load of 7.62 along with your entire combat loadout for your 16 which is a hell of a lot heavier than a 240 and you won't even get to shoot the 240. And if you cry about it you'll just be given even more **** to carry. Oh and let's not forget the AT4 that you're going to carry but when it's game time you'll be passing it off to your team leader to actually fire it.

And rank is no guarantee that you won't have to hump the pig on occasion. When my Air Guard unit did conditioning hikes, our unit commander (an ex-Army infantry company commander) thought it a good idea for the flight sergeants (MSgt E-7) to hump the M-60 as a reminder of how heavy it was. I really didn't need reminding, but tough sh*t.

Like Accord said, in my flight, the boots did not get the machine guns. I had an E-4 and an E-5 carrying mine and both were school trained gunners. However, everyone else in the unit also knew how to shoot, break-down, and clean the M-60.

Oh yeah, even as the flight sergeant, in the field I still carried at least an extra 100-rounds of 7.62mm for the pig, if not more. If you're a grunt, you're going to carry a lot of weight. Accept that fact.

CJ Haynes
12-21-08, 06:57 PM
I dont know if this has been said already, but at SOI you could be "volun-told" to be a 0331. You could also be easily volun-told to be in
Weapons if you have a high GT score. That happened to quite a few of the guys I was in with.