PDA

View Full Version : 03 Infantry Countdown to MCRDSD

JChristin
06-07-03, 03:00 AM
Okay 03

Day 10 before you leave for boot.

You have what it takes to become a warrior. Most of all, I was impressed with your character and standing when we meet a few months back. I know you will make not only all of us here at Leatherneck proud - you will set an example for others to follow in boot with the determination to become the best and the finest Marine you can become. You will make the Marine Corps proud.

10 days till your feet stand tall in those yellow foot steps!

semper fi,
jchristin:marine:

JChristin
06-07-03, 03:03 AM

Day NINE

Make sure you've got those 11 general orders memorize front, back and sideways. Make sure you can repeat them backwards.

Make sure you have everything your recruiter has told you to take to MCRD with you - and no more.

semper fi,
jchristin

wrbones
06-07-03, 03:07 AM
Good point! Time to review the basics and get ready!

03Infantry
06-07-03, 06:14 PM
Yes Mam, Sir.

06-07-03, 06:18 PM
You to huh 03? I havent been on in awhile, I kind of lost interest in the internet for a time. I leave in 9 days also. It's finally time, most of my friends in the DEP left in the last 2 weeks, the recruiters are breaking in the new guys now. Wow I can't wait to get to PI, it's definatly gonna be something I'll never foget.

03Infantry
06-07-03, 06:44 PM
You leave June 16th? What Mos. Oh see I go to San Diego, but good luck all the same.

06-07-03, 06:51 PM
Command and control electrician, I'm not sure what the number code is, I think it's an 06. Good luck man.

wrbones
06-07-03, 06:55 PM
Matt, have yer best friend take care of yer girl while yer gone! I'm sure he'll do a good job! :banana:

JChristin
06-07-03, 07:13 PM
hey Bones,

I've got his back covered. Gonna check Matt's girlfriend into a nun convent until his release...opps..I mean graduation from MCRD.

has anyone told 03 and Avartar that the first 2.5 weeks at boot don't count towards training?

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
06-07-03, 08:36 PM
Well thank you mam. No my gf actually broke up with me a few months ago because I was joining the Marines ( she knew about it but all of the suden just freaked out), but you can still stick here in a convent. THE FIRST 2.5 WEEKS DONT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAA AAAAAAA *(hahah)

JChristin
06-07-03, 09:05 PM
oh ya, sorry, must of slipped our minds. Don't worry it happened to all of us too. Not to fret.

Its considered part of the "forming week" part of basic. When you get your uniforms, books, supplies, settle into your nicely appointed condo overlooking the surf. Learn how to work the remote, call for room service, all those basics.

semper fi,
jchristin

NEWB
06-07-03, 10:52 PM
O3 Infantry......Good luck at Boot Camp. Just one suggestion......Forget the word " YOU". I said it one time to my DI and in his polite and quiet manner he explained to me why the word was not in a recruits vocabulary.

JChristin
06-08-03, 12:51 AM
Just to make sure you all know, I was kidding 03 Infantry about the first 2.5 weeks not counting towards your training.

In reality, if I recall correctly it's the first 4-5 days that do not count towards your training time. That was back in 1980, things change - could be shorter or a day longer now. I don't know - ask your recruiter.

But here's the deal: You want to become a Marine - you've got to play the game. Most of all, you get to become part of something that is greater than yourself - to belong to an organization that many try to belong, but many fail to be accepted. If you get that far in the process - to be accepted - then finish the deal. Earn the title many desire to have - but few hold, United State Marine. What the **** is a couple or three days? Big deal.

Keep your eyes on the prize.

semper fi,
jchristin

wrbones
06-08-03, 01:10 AM
Hell, I spent 13 weeks in boot. We were the first ones in and hadda wait a week til they formed up the whole company.
Hell, I got the joke and I think Matt did, too.

Anyone who read the POOL_ee Hall would know the training schedule is posted there....a few times in a few different places....in a few different ways.

Besides. Everyone knows the D.I.'s get control of the remote and have the seaside views!

Barrio_rat
06-08-03, 01:57 AM
We got to watch some TV... Mostly it was motivational/educational USMC type stuff, hosted by a Gunny with one hash mark. I remember the Drill Instructors pointing that out to us and stating what a motivated Marine he must be. (Looking back, I'm sure they had some other comments they kept a little more private - LOL). As to the remote - it was a recruit the Drill Instructors called "CLICK"

LOL

Try saying "I" - it always gains a warm and fuzzy reaction by any Drill Instructor!

JChristin
06-08-03, 03:57 AM
COUNTDOWN:

DAY 8

I hear the drums starting to roar - far in the back ground.

One week plus one day from now and 03 and Avatar will be placing their pretty little feet on our bright yellow footsteps - each on opposite side of the country.

Grab the top rack at boot.

semper fi,
jchristin

thedrifter
06-08-03, 11:07 AM
It is not going to be fun and games.........It is going to be the hardest 13+ weeks of your life.........If you have what it takes to become a Marine, you will earn the Title and learn to wear it Proudly..........Many have tried and many have failed........Not everybody has what it takes.........Always remember there is no I in Our Beloved Corps........We are a team and work as a team for the betterment of Our Beloved Corps.........You will become part of a Tradition that has no equal...........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

CAS3
06-08-03, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JChristin

But here's the deal: You want to become a Marine - you've got to play the game.
jchristin [/B]

Someone want to tell me when there was time to play games!!
As I recall we busted our butts daily, were sleep deprived, and only watched headline News on Sunday for an hour while spit shining our boots....:marine:

06-08-03, 01:45 PM
8 more days :) I have a question, are we going to be leaving on a day early for MEPS, or do we go to MEPS on the 16th?

wrbones
06-08-03, 01:49 PM
51 threads on the site that mention MEPS. Ya might want to take a look and see if you can figger it out.

put MEPS in the site search engine.

03Infantry
06-08-03, 02:41 PM
We got to meps on the 16th. That is early in the moring. Later in the day we fly out.

PFC CAS3 we won't get any tv.................we have no boots to shine (hahaha).

JChristin
06-08-03, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by CAS3

and only watched headline News on Sunday for an hour while spit shining our boots....:marine:

uhmm, boot must of got easier, we had no headline news on television when I was at our famous resort island. Glad they eased up for you.

semper fi,
jchristin

06-08-03, 05:09 PM
Yeah we get to were running shoes for i think the first month, after that we get suede boots :) no more spit shining. Though I'm sure the Di's can think up something worse to do with our spare time.

03Infantry
06-08-03, 09:12 PM
Dang. Oh well the time we would have spent shining boots will, maybe, be filled with more pushups!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna cry when I get off the bus (JK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)!!!!!!!1

03Infantry
06-08-03, 10:11 PM
I'm so excited...........................I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!1

wrbones
06-08-03, 10:45 PM
Whatever gets ya on those yeller footprints, Matt! LMAO.

Then you'll be like everyone else! "What in hell did I get myself into..." :banana:

03Infantry
06-08-03, 11:02 PM
Thank you Sgt., however I think there will be a few more choice words than that (haha). Talking to you guys on this site helps me take away a lot of my nerves I feel about boot camp.

wrbones
06-08-03, 11:11 PM
I figgered that's what was goin' on. Don't sweat the small ****, boy. Yer gonna do alright. Hell, ya know everything we've had time to teach ya, and you've seen how others have done who were POOL-ees here before you. Ya ain't got **** to worry about.

Ya made yer decision, now yer gonna hae to live it! ;) It's a wild ride, but it's worth it! Cinch 'er up tight and pull yer hat down around yer ears! :D It's a helluva go 'round!

wrbones
06-08-03, 11:14 PM
Just so ya know. I didn't get nervous before I went to go to MCRD....

....I was too hung over.....

....I don't recommend that, btw.

03Infantry
06-08-03, 11:40 PM
Hahahah. We had a kid who came to one of our dep functions hung over. A little while later he passed out. I think I learned a good lesson. I am going with friends so I won't be so nervous, but I hope that is true, that I don't get nervous.

firstsgtmike
06-09-03, 01:08 AM
Bones,

I just remembered another incident from the staging bn. requal plt.

A Gysgt, exempt from snapping in because of his rank, was giving us words of wisdom from his experience. He ALWAYS got bombed the night before qualification day, it helped steady him and gave him a rock solid shooting position on the firing line.

Qualification day, he had to be assisted to the firing line, and fired a blazing 60 out of a possible 300.
------------------------

I have three words of advice to you. RELAX! RELAX! RELAX!

Too much tension will give you a heart attack.

You've prepped, you've crammed, you've done all that you could do (which is more than most). RELAX! If you draw upon your strengths when they are needed, they will be there for you. Don't be dead of exhaustion before you get there.

RELAX! How do you get to MEPS, that's dead time. The bus ride or plane trip is dead time.

You better come alive when the bus enters MCRD. From there on in, you won't have time to worry, you will be too busy.

Don't blow all of your energy in anticipation. You'll disappoint the girl.

You've prepared yourself as much as possible. RELAX!

It's like learning to ride a bicycle by reading a book. You've done all you can do before getting on the bicycle (yellow footprints).

Be confident. You are ready! You are prepared! Make THEM prove how wrong you are, don't concede defeat up front.

I guess it was another thread, BUT, one of us vets put in into words for all of us. I wish to hell I knew as much and was prepared as much as you guys, when I went to boot camp.

RELAX! Take a deep breath, and tell the quarterback, "Just give me the ball. I'm ready!"

JChristin
06-09-03, 01:57 AM
COUNTDOWN CONTINUES

DAY 7

1 WEEK TO "D" DAY - Avatar and Matt

If you appreciate the sounds of the forest, go hike someplace this week. Find some quite space. Calm your spirit - for it is about to be given a crude spiritual awakening. Perpare.

Not into the forest - find something you really enjoy doing - alot. Have fun, let loose. But also make time for some quite time.

This is your last week of freedom - better find some pleasure in it. You are about to enter something that is far greater than yourself that will change the rest of your life, something that will change how you view yourself and the world about you.

How are each of you on your 11 General Orders? Can you repeat them backwards?

semper fi
jchristin

CAS3
06-09-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JChristin

uhmm, boot must of got easier, we had no headline news on television when I was at our famous resort island. Glad they eased up for you.

semper fi,
jchristin

No dear It hasn't gotten easier. On the contrary, it has gotten harder. Female Marines are treated equally to their counterparts in all aspects of training. And the commitment was instilled in me from day one until now. I guess that is why I still do all I can for the Corps. I am a Marine who supports the Marine Corps League, Rolling Thunder and veterans.
And no it was not a resort. Sand fleas assured me of that!:marine:

Phil
06-09-03, 12:59 PM
Onboard P.I. we also watched a different kind of "T.V. ". Enjoy!:yes:

06-09-03, 04:42 PM
I've got the general orders down normal and upside down, working on backwards :) And I'm as relaxed as a person can get.

03Infantry
06-09-03, 06:08 PM
I'm nervous, but I have the knowledge down. Just waiting to go. I am so excited

thedrifter
06-09-03, 06:19 PM
Since time is growing short, now is the time to separate the true facts from rumors, jokes, etc...............No matter how hard it my seem to you, if it is in you to become a Marine, you will. Remember team work, helping your fellow recurits when you can. Later helping your fellow Marines, when you become one of us.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE" is not just a saying it is a way of life, known only to TRUE MARINES............

The Drifter

03Infantry
06-09-03, 07:17 PM
I want more than anything to be a Marine. I can't think about how it would feel to let myself, my family, and all the people/Marines on this site who are rooting for me.

03Infantry
06-09-03, 09:19 PM
I have been doing lots of pull up workouts and crunches, since you don't do those for the first week at bootcamp.

CAS3
06-10-03, 05:14 AM
You may not be doing those in the first week but you need to keep up with them anyway. Especially those push ups for the time you are getting dug!!
Good luck

Phil
06-10-03, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by CAS3
You may not be doing those in the first week but you need to keep up with them anyway. Especially those push ups for the time you are getting dug!!
Good luck

DIG FASTER NOW!!SIDE STRADDLE HOPS NOW!!PUSH UPS NOW!!STOP HALF WAY!!HOLDIT!! HOLD IT!!HHHHOOOOOLDIT!!SIT UPS NOW!!TOO SLOW!!! PUSH UPS NOW!!ROLL AROUND!!ROLL AROUND!!MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS NOW!!DIG!!DIG!!DIIIIIGGG!! :yes:

Suck it up and GET SOME!!

06-10-03, 09:54 AM
Six days left now

BGMFH
06-10-03, 12:34 PM
Good Luck Avatar.

Enjoy your trip to the Island, I know Im gonna love mine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-10-03, 03:23 PM
You all are about to embark on a journey that will change your lives forever. Becoming a Marine is an experience that cannot be fully described. When you have your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor given to you it will be a moment you will cherish for the rest of your lives. The feeling you have building inside of you is the Marine Corps emblam being burned into your heart. In thirteen short weeks you will officially be one of us. You will have the Title that no man can take from you. May your experiences in the Marine Corps be as wonderful as they were for all of us. And remember, millions of men and women have gone before you, make them proud!

03Infantry
06-10-03, 04:17 PM
wE ARE FINALLY DONE WITH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! SO CLOSE TO BOOTCAMP.........SO CLOSE

JChristin
06-10-03, 04:30 PM
COUNTDOWN

DAY 6

03 and Avatar,

The drum beat is getting louder, rolling with more thunder. Soon, you will be nothing - and you will know exactly what that feels like. Then your DI's are going to rebuild you one cell at a time until you get spit out a United States Marine.

I remember the first time Captain Hewitt spoke to our platoon, she was in her nice white officers uniform and her ability to express herself impressed the heck right out of me. Her demeanor, poise, and mannerism provided the example in which to excel and demonstrate. Coupled with my senior drill instructor, SSGt. Price, today, I know how lucky I was to have two women of the highest order provide examples of leadership, honor, and courage that still flows through my life today. My time in the United State Marine Corps - served as a vechicle that has enhance my professional life as well. So, it's more than just becoming a Marine - it's about enhancing one's life so that when you are out of the Marine Corps, you can enhance the life of others.

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
06-11-03, 06:12 PM
ok now I'm starting to feel real realllllllllllllllllllllllllllll nervous

06-11-03, 08:50 PM
Just relax man, believe me your more ready then I am. There's really nothing to be worried about, like they said, thousands of people did it before us and thousands will do it after us, theres no reason we can't do it to. And hell, live in my house for a week and a couple of screaming DI's will seem like nothing.....

03Infantry
06-11-03, 09:35 PM
Yeah, thanks for the motivation dude. I am just getting stressed. I look at all the things like my friends and things in my room and just realize I won't see them for three months. I mean today was my last wendesday living at home.

wrbones
06-11-03, 09:43 PM
Matt, in a few months you'll get a chane to go home, and wonder why in hell ya had all of that crap to begin with! LOL.

Say good bye to childhood. It's over, dude! ;)

06-11-03, 10:04 PM
and look on the bright side, theres no sand fleas in san diego :) And Id rather run up hills then in the sand anyday.

03Infantry
06-11-03, 10:47 PM
good forget my child hood. haha

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-12-03, 12:44 AM
DRILL INSTRUCTOR CREED

These recruits are entrusted to my care. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physiclly fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and Country. I will demand of them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality, and professional skill.

THE FIRST WORDS THAT YOU WILL HEAR FROM YOUR SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR

My name is (Rank/Name). I am your Senior Drill Instructor. I am assisted in my duties by: (Rank/Name) and (Rank/Name). Our mission is to train each one of you to become a United States Marine.

A Marine is characterized as one who possesses the highest military virtues. He obeys orders, respects his seniors, and strives constantly to be the best in everything he does. Discipline and spirit are the hallmarks of a Marine. Each of you can become a Marine if you develop discipline and spirit. We will give every effort to train you, even after some of you have given up on yourselves.

Starting now, you will treat me and all other Marines with the highest respect, for we have earned our places as Marines and will accept nothing less than that from you. We will treat you as we do our fellow Marines: with firmness, fairness, dignity and compassion. At no time will you be physically or verbally abused by any Marine or recruit. If anyone should abuse or mistreat you, I expect you to report such incidents immediately to me or one of my drill instructors. Further, if you believe that I have mistreated you, I expect you to report it to the series commander, (rank/name). My drill instructors and I will be with you every day, everywhere you go.

I have told you what my drill instructors and I will do for you. From you we expect the following:

- You must give 100% of yourself at all times.
- Obey all orders, instantly, willingly, and without question.
- Treat all Marines and recruits with courtesy and respect.
- You will not physically abuse or verbally threaten another Marine or recruit.
- Be completely honest in evrything you do. A Marine never lies, cheats, or compromises.
- Respect the rights and property of all others. A Marine never steals.
- You must work hard to strengthen you body.
- Be proud of yourself and the uniform you wear.
- Try your best to learn the things you will be taught.
- Above all else, never quit or give up.

We offer you the challenge of Recruit Training - - the opportunity to earn the title "United States Marine."

JChristin
06-12-03, 02:19 AM
COUNTDOWN

DAY 5

Better start praying.

You will learn how to pray soon - all in a new way too!

I promise.

semper fi,
jchristin

wrbones
06-12-03, 02:21 AM
Damn, JC. The kid's shakin' in his tennis shoes the way it is! LOL.

JChristin
06-12-03, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by wrbones

Say good bye to childhood. It's over, dude! ;)

Bones is so right on - again! :D

Childhood is done with now anyway. There is no turning back. Only forward moving - can't stop it - you're powerless over that one. Might as well do it with some class - becoming United States Marines is a good first step in that direction.

You will both do just fine. If I could - believe me - anyone can. It'll just be the hardest thing you'll ever do - until you become a parent of teenagers (ha ha).

semper fi,
jchristin

JAMarine
06-12-03, 03:51 AM
You will be stepping out soon and I dropped in to say Good Luck lad. You just make sure you give all you have. No one can ask for more.

Someday Bones, thedrifter, myself and the rest might have the opportunity to call you Brother.

Until then we'll be standing right next to you. Stay strong, be wise and most of all....... Keep Your Mouth Shut.

;)

Phil
06-12-03, 07:55 AM
Chesty Puller was a fine Marine
A fine Marine was he
He called for his pipe
He called for his sword
He called for his Privates three
"Beer, beer, beer" said the Privates
"Who the hell are we?"
"The Army's fair but they can't compare
to the Marines Corps Infantry!"

03Infantry
06-12-03, 10:21 AM
I woke up this morning and I am so pumped to go. All my fear and nervousness are gone, I'm ready to go...............I think. Thank you all for your encouragement for me and Avatorof Chaos

Red Dragon
06-12-03, 11:19 AM
Remember to keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Listen and you should do well. You have been given a lot of good advise in here, remember it as it could help you. Also forget the bad advise given by sea lawyers and those who think they know it all. If you make it thru, and on Graduation Day when the Marine's Hymn is played, you would realize and understand the meaning of being a United States Marine.

Red Dragon aka HL

06-12-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
DRILL INSTRUCTOR CREED

My drill instructors and I will be with you every day, everywhere you go.

That's a scary thought...

Phil
06-12-03, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Avatar0fCha0s

That's a scary thought...

Your D.I.s will be with you the rest of your life! They will always be in your BHG. That's a good thing, though they will give you knowledge that will get you through anything, no matter where you go or what you do! The best advice our S.D.I. gave us was "It ain't nothin' but a meatball!". Don't stress the little stuff and you'll learn to be able to handle the big stuff. Remember that when your D.I.s give you five seconds to put your socks on. You'll never do it. Just keep your bearing!

Red Dragon
06-12-03, 03:28 PM
The DI will be your worst nightmare for 13+ weeks. Freddie from Friday the 13th is nothing compared to a Marine DI. It is time to grow up, face the facts of life, be a man, maybe you just might become a Marine. Not all can become Marines, they don't have what it takes. That is why "WE ARE THE CHOSEN FEW."

Red Dragon aka HL

06-12-03, 03:51 PM
Ummm it was Jason in Friday the 13th, Freddie wsa Nightmare on ElmStreet, I see your point though.

firstsgtmike
06-12-03, 07:22 PM
URGENT MSG FOR AVATAR;

Right or wrong, DON'T EVER try to correct your Drill Instructor!

(I should get a Life Saving Medal for this post.)

Phil
06-12-03, 09:06 PM
Excuse me FirstSgt., I know you have already addressed this but I need to say something.

Avatar WTFO!?! How dare you reply to him like that! I don't care if your JUST a Poolee or whatnot, but, that man is a SGT. OF MARINES and you need to show that Marine the respect he's EARNED ! Now, if you and the Sgt. have that kind of relationship in this forum where you kid back and forth like that the Sgt. can correct me, I am new to Leatherneck.com, but what I read was UNSAT! It's the NCOs and Staff NCOs that will most likely be leading you if you see the elephant and I know for a fact it will be their knowledge that keeps your *** from getting crushed by that elephant! Don't worry though your D.I.s will rid you of that crap. Either that or your in for a long 13 weeks!

06-12-03, 09:42 PM
Your right of course Lance Corporal, I apologize for the way I posted that, it should have been much more respectful. I think I got to comfortable in the forum, thanks for correcting me and I promise, it won't happen again.

wrbones
06-12-03, 09:42 PM
There ya go, Phil. They haven't even seen that side of the Marine Corps, yet.

Ya see, kids. The Corporal, Sergeant or Staff NCO shouldn't have to ever say a thing to get ya un****ed. If they have to intervene, everybody's catchin' hell....if somebody doesn't die because ya messed up. The PFC's keep the Privates lined out. The L/Cpl's keep the PFC's lined out, and so it goes....The Marine with the rank speaks, you don't stop, question, or comment, you listen and you obey. Period.

...and the L/Cpl isn't gonna be the one catchin' hell because you screwed up. That Marine is gonna get ya lined out...in a damn quick hurry....and if yer smart, you'll pay attention.

wrbones
06-12-03, 09:48 PM
Just an FYI...you won't be hangin' with the Gunny or shootin' the breeze with the First Sergeant when ya get in the fleet. They got better things to do.

03Infantry
06-12-03, 10:09 PM
Avator dude today is our last thursday being at home. Bootcamp here I come. New mother and father for me.................and more yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well a little bit more!!!!!!!

03Infantry
06-12-03, 10:10 PM
One thing I gotta now is can they ground me??????????/ (LOL) hahahahahahahahahaha

Phil
06-12-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Avatar0fCha0s
Your right of course Lance Corporal, I apologize for the way I posted that, it should have been much more respectful. I think I got to comfortable in the forum, thanks for correcting me and I promise, it won't happen again.

RAH! Take heed of all the good advice you get here. If I had this tool back before I boarded The Island, it would have been a whole lot easier. That was just one less mistake you could have made when it counted, just learn from it and you'll be O.K.

Phil
06-12-03, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 03Infantry
One thing I gotta now is can they ground me??????????/ (LOL) hahahahahahahahahaha

You don't want to know!LOL

JChristin
06-12-03, 10:35 PM
YES. <br />
<br />
With or without hard labor. <br />
<br />
Sometimes, depending upon the offense, they will take it out of your pay. Now that can really hurt when based upon military pay. <br />
<br />
Loss of rank. Review the...

JChristin
06-13-03, 01:33 AM
COUNTDOWN:

DAY 3

Suggest you get all the sleep you can muster. In a few days time, you will be wishing for it. Its value will take on a completely new meaning. You will experience sleep deprivation. Promise. That's a guarantee.

AVATAR: Bath in sand flea repealent. PI has notorious sand fleas that have a fine appreciation for fresh blood on the island. Don't slap them or otherwise kill them; afterall, they have to eat too.

Don't do anything that could cause sore's on the feet from here on out. You'll have plenty of opportunity at MCRD, I promise. Make sure those nails are clipped. It's the small things that really start to count.

Next week this time the both of you will be wishing for graduation day. Time at boot at first will seem like an eternity. Then before you know it, you'll be holding a M16A2, then feeling confident as your marching in formation takes on uniformity. Team work will develop and a sense of team pride will develop. Then, before you know it - if you make it - an eagle, globe and anchor and with it a new title is given to you for life: United States Marine.

Go to bed, get some sleep. Like I said, get a lot of it.

semper fi,
jchristin

leroy8541
06-14-03, 09:27 AM
Confinement to barracks and 1 months pay. I guess thats kinda like being grounded and loosing your allowance. I never thought of it that way. Oh yeah EPD goes with that. Everyone goes on liberty and you get to stay back and be the company gunny's little biotch.

06-14-03, 12:09 PM
I leave tomorrow at 5 P.M. for MEPS! I guess I better get alot of sleep tonight...

firstsgtmike
06-14-03, 07:12 PM

I've been trying to think of something profound for you to take with you on your adventure.

It's not that I'm coming up blank, it's because I'm experiencing overload. A million thoughts jumping up and down, each one trying to get my attention and shouting "Take Me, NO, Take ME!"

That imagery evoked another one. Tens of thousands of Marine Vets, each one wishing we could go back and take your place on the yellow footprints.

Do it for your family, past, present, and future.

Do it for yourself, you owe yourself your very best.

Do it for US. You're taking our dreams with you.

Bon Voyage!

JChristin
06-14-03, 10:13 PM
COUNTDOWN:

DAY TWO

SLEEP. I MEAN REALLLLY SLEEP. TAKE A LONG HOT SOAPING BATHTHEN SLEEP SOME MORE.

THESE ARE THINGS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO MISS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS, FROM HERE ON OUT. I PROMISE. THAT FIRST LONG HOT BATH AFTER BOOT WAS LIKE NO OTHER. IT’S THE SMALL THING THAT REALLY COUNTS.

03 AND AVATAR:
The both of you are about to arrive at a place that will feel like the neighbor next door to the devil. Congratulation. As FirstSgtMike so well stated, many of us would be more than happy to take your place. But then again, we have already been there and done that. We know what to expect, as it is already part of us. I would suggest you keep a brief diary every day at boot. Write down what you did, how you felt, the names of your peers, your interactions, conflicts, the shortening of your showering times, all those small things will help to awaken memories later, many years down the road. Over two years ago I was hit by a drunk driver, as a result – many of my memories of many past events have been wiped out. We never know what is coming down the pike at us. Wish I had keep a diary of many past events.

Another aspect of this trend and others in this forum, is that you poolees really bring out in us older Marines, active or inactive, the spirit of teamwork. Each of us, in our own way, really wants each of you to succeed and to continue to strengthen and improve our Marine Corps. We represent the past – and you the future. We love our Corps. I would gladly die for my Corps, our Country, our way of life – if called to do so.

There are many Marines I interact with on a daily basis, and our relations have a bond like no other. We are always devil dogs before anything else. Our common bond binds us together like no other. We are a special breed of men and women willing to do that, which is right – regardless to the cost. We are willing to go to any length for each other, like no other.

Bones, FirstSgtMike, and many others have shared their experience, strength and hope with you to assist you towards your induction into a band of brother (and sisters) so that you will not only know what to expect, but to help prepare and strengthen you emotionally.

Each of you go and work you butt’s off at boot and work it like no other event in your life. Dedicate yourself to your band of brothers, and work towards the protections of our country’s freedom and that of the world. How I wish it were I going in your place. How lucky you are to have been chosen. Then, once you earn our title, come back and tell us all about it. We’ll know.

Go get some sleep. Watch some television.

Semper fi,
jchristin

JChristin
06-14-03, 10:20 PM
03 Infantry,

When you arrive back here in the pacific northwest, I want to see you in uniform!

You will see an old Marine's eyes swell with tear's of pride. Tell your father and grandfather hello from me. Soon, you will be my brother. Show them down at Pendleton exactly what a person from the Pacific Northwest is made of - I know you will. Make us proud of you.

semper fi,
jchristin

06-14-03, 10:29 PM
Well, this is gonna be my last post, until I come back a Marine, my year in the DEP seems like it went by so fast now, I still remember my day at MEPS like it was yesterday. Back then I couldn't even pass the IST run or crunches, I think I improved as much as I possibly could in the last year. And of coarse thanks to everyone on this site I think I'm about as mentally prepared as I can get as well. These next few months are going to be rough, but I'm glad it's finally time. The last week this is all I've been able to think about. Thanks for the help everyone, see you all in 3 months.

MRowan
06-15-03, 01:49 AM
Avatar, It looks like we are both headed to PI Monday. look for me when you get there, i'll be the one with his head shaved!!

CAS3
06-15-03, 08:04 AM
MRowan,
One thing I remember the recruiters saying is that Di's hate a kid who comes in with his head shaved. They believe the kid thinks he knows everything and they are more apt to prove him wrong!!
I wish you both the best and can't wait to see you back here as brothers in the Corps.

03Infantry
06-15-03, 11:09 AM
This is my last day posting. I leave at 5 tonight for the hotel. Thank all you Marines for the advice and encouragement you gave me. It really means a lot. I will see you in three months.

03Infantry
06-15-03, 02:22 PM
You and me Avator. Lets do it.

wrbones
06-15-03, 03:44 PM
see ya when ya get back. Don't make me come lookin' for ya!

03Infantry
06-15-03, 04:11 PM
Yes Sir!!!!!!!!!!!1

Red Dragon
06-16-03, 11:18 AM
Well it looks like they be off to boot camp, see them in 13 weeks unless they don't make it. If they listened to all the good advise and not the BS that was posted in here, they might become Marines. Notice that there are few in here who are green behind the ears and really don't know too much about our Marine Corps, all they can do is tell stories on just about anything, they must do a lot of reading. We are here to help these poolees(the ones that want our help) and not feed they a line of BS.

Red Dragon aka HL

wrbones
06-17-03, 03:15 AM
Well, they're gone to get a haircut. :D I reckon they'll be back after awhile.

Patrick8605
06-17-03, 09:16 AM
Red Dragon, I'm hearing ya. I'm payin attention to what every Marine on this site says. So far no one has steerd me wrong. Thanks to you and all the other mentors on this site.

Patrick-

JChristin
06-17-03, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
Well, they're gone to get a haircut. :D I reckon they'll be back after awhile.

Whep, they're Private Recruits (E-1's) now. Employees of the United States Government. Federal property. Since I have meet 03 Infantry (Matt) and have a sense of his character - I know he will do just fine and do the Marine Corps proud. Avartar is feeding our sand fleas.

Bet their scared as all get out just about now and a lot tired.

Ya know Bones, these kids kinda of a way of growing on ya after awhile.

semper fi,
jchristin

GySgtRet
07-24-03, 05:46 PM
The Title "MARINE" IS Never Given, It is EARNED

SEMPER FI

JChristin
08-21-03, 05:49 PM
Good olde' 03 Infantry is to graduate boot on September 12th!

As Avatar shipped the same day, perhaps we'll be hearing from him too!

I'm looking forward calling them each my brother Marine.

semper fi,
jchristin

09-13-03, 04:09 AM
OORAAH! I'm Back! And I'm finally a Marine...wow, there's no better feeling then when my Senior Drill Instructor gave me my Eagle, Glob, and Anchor and said "Congradulations Private Jordan." Its the best feeling in the world. I havent cried in a long itme, and I cried today and yesterday. Hey poolees listen up, it's rough, you'll want to quit so bad sometimes, the D.I.'s will be on you 24/7. But in the end, it's a small price to pay for the title.

Well, I'm gonna get off now, have to press my uniforms they got all jacked up on the car ride home :( I'll be on again before I head out for MCT.

Semper Fi Marines

Caesar Augustus
09-14-03, 11:49 AM
CONGRATS avatar. What was the hardest thing u had to do
thx

03Infantry
09-16-03, 10:02 AM
Hey the two hardest things are recieving and the gas chamber. Alot of bootcamp is how hard you make it. Do you use your letter writing time to workout some nights, how hard do you push yourself on the single runs. The harder you work the better it will be in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 05:03 PM
thx 03. how was all of the night infiltration course and other combat type training like?

03Infantry
09-16-03, 05:16 PM
It is the coolest (COOLEST) thing in the world. Especially at night. There are flares going off and machine gun fire and explosions. It is one of the coolest things you will do. You will get dirty and tired.........but that happens in war. The bayonet assault course is cool too. On the crucible on the bayonet assault corse you get to use a bayonet and stab a bunch of stuff. Rappeling is way cool too. The combat stuff rocks!!!!

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 06:23 PM
thats what i cant wait for. this weekend werre having a meeting and were gonna go into the woods and practice combat movements and all kinds of fun ****. Cant wait to get dirty and tired. He said It'll be like 7 hours cuz we'll start at like 5 and go till 12. Cant wait. How do they treat you after the crucible? not any different since you have another phase to go or do they treat you a little different? are all of the plt's doing the modified schedule or is it still only certain plts?
thx

03Infantry
09-16-03, 06:32 PM
3rd phase the DI's become teachers instead of a bunch of crazies. All companies do the modified schedule. It is more intense after the crucible because they expect more from you. It is cool though because you own the depot.

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 06:50 PM
thats cool man some freshly minted Marines just got back and were talkin to us at the recruiting station so that was really motivating. They keep saying its hard to relax and walk "normal" and talk to people b/c they arent used to civilians. its kinda funny. Cant wait to be like that. What was harder in the crucible mental or physical?

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 06:51 PM
did u get recruiters assistance?

MRowan
09-16-03, 06:57 PM
Physical in my opnion, but i think it is probably different for everyone.

03Infantry
09-16-03, 06:59 PM
Um. Physical. It is not really mental at all. Your tired and you get ticked off.

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 08:01 PM
lol. getting ticked off cause of the lack of sleep I guess? I thought it was more mental. What was the hardest part of boot camp mentally. also what were the church services like?

03Infantry
09-17-03, 01:02 AM
Church services are awesome. You get away from the Di's. People that normally arn't religous even go to church. The hardest part of bootcamp is mentally is receiving/ first phase. That is when they break you down and build you up the way they want to.

Caesar Augustus
09-17-03, 07:14 AM
THere are catholic and what other types of services available.?
to bad you cant really prepare yourself for the mental part

03Infantry
09-17-03, 09:56 PM
There is everything available. Even buddist. There really no way to prepare yourself. Just remeber that others before you went through it and that you have what it takes. On the pft runs we would be running back at the last leg of the run. When I felt like dying I would end up running by the Huge USMC sign by the airport that says ," THE FEW THE PROUD THE MARINES" and all of the sudden I realized I had all the energy in the world. It is stuff like that that will help you.

Caesar Augustus
09-17-03, 10:17 PM
How heavy are the packs? are you issued the new bdu's? are you issued the new pack that is yet to be named?
thx

03Infantry
09-18-03, 10:57 AM
Yes we wear the new BDU's. No we use the old packs in bootcamp. Um the packs kind of depend on what company your in. 1st Battalion has the heaviest packs. They probably weighed about 80 pounds. You won't feel it because there is a support in your lower back so it is not that bad.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 11:54 AM
thats good. Why do certain companies get different weights? What are to new boots like? arent they kinda tan with furry leatherish stuff?

Lake0300
09-18-03, 01:44 PM
the kid is full of questions - heres one:

How many times did your squad leader change? And exactly how hard is it to make squad leader?

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 04:07 PM
look lakey boy:D I'm no kid I'm a 17 yr old :D
Your just a lowly poolee too. j/k these wonderful Marines love answering my questions dont ya'll:p

Lake0300
09-18-03, 06:49 PM
LoL apologies for the offensive comment, didnt mean it to be :(

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 07:40 PM
rgr knew you were kidding but figured I'd return the fun:D

03Infantry
09-20-03, 06:41 PM
Yes that is what the boots are like. The questions are cool, it makes me feel important (hahaha). We had two squad leaders that were squad leaders for all of bootcamp. The only way you really get fired is if you are "weak", don't sound off, or do something really bad.

JChristin
09-20-03, 09:31 PM
well now 03 Infantry,

now the shoe has changed, you're the Marine answering the questions around here. How's it feel? The qualifying statement: you're the MARINE!

you and Avatar have added so much to the tread. answers us old ones are a wee bit stale on. your experience at boot is so fresh, no recent. glad the both of you came back here and are sharing your experience with the young ones.

Remember Poolees, be respectful to the Marines answering your questions. They have earned a title you hope to attain someday - if you're lucky. Be respectful with each other. As Marines, we work as a team, we pull the rope together.

semper fi,
jchristin

Caesar Augustus
09-20-03, 09:47 PM
I'm glad my questions make you feel important lol. SO would you recomend volunteering for squad leader if you want it? How was the chow. A PFC that just got back told us the food was really good? We had a pool funciton and after we finished doin the IST somebody in our squad decided that he and the Gunny were drinkin buddies and called him by his last name only. THe rest of the squad got the honor of being smoked for about 30 minutes doin pushups, butterfly's, crunches, mnt climbers and running an extra 1.5. Say the least we were ****ed. Then the PFC told us that what we just did aint half as bad as it is in boot camp. One of the recruiters told that guy that if he did that **** im boot camp and didnt tell the squad he was sorry he'd get a blanket party. We wanted to give him one. I guess if I want to be squad leader I had better get used to being ****ed with for someone elses mistakes

03Infantry
09-20-03, 10:26 PM
Definitly try to be a squad leader. You will get messed up but it will be worth it when you graduate. Yeah you will get messed up way worse in bootcamp.

Caesar Augustus
09-21-03, 10:43 AM
yea well if its gets me more respect and rank it sworth it. I'll be a contract PFC so If I was able to get squad or honor man I could come out a LCPl. that'd be nice

Apache
09-21-03, 11:04 AM
Warm and fuzzy reactions are many to buco words or phrases.However even the lowest slime is capable of quickly learning which noises elict a negative response.These seldom are repeated.