PDA

View Full Version : Im in the DEP, And i did something today ive never done before

Aries41886
12-11-08, 09:07 PM
Hi there Marines. <br />
Im a poolee with infantry MOS who ships in January 12th 2009 to Parris Island. <br />
<br />
I just started to PT like im supposed to. My sergeant wont let me fail which surprises me because...

Marine84
12-11-08, 09:28 PM
Quit stressing so bad - GEEZ! You'll pass out at graduation IF you make it.

CHOPPER7199
12-11-08, 10:04 PM
All This Old Grunt Can Say To You Is, Good Job So Far. Keep Moto And What They Just Put You Thru On That Run, Well, Expect Alot More Of It From The Time You Put Them Feet On The Prints. Good Luck And Getter Done.

ecom
12-11-08, 10:31 PM
To be honest, I don't know if they're doing you a favor or not. Pushing you as hard as they are could potentially lead to injuries.

I mean it's good to PT, but doing 2 miles one day and then 4 the day after having never run for months prior is not a pace I would like to move at. You should have some rest time to recover considering your lack of PT.

bootlace15
12-11-08, 10:49 PM
ecom,with all due respect.WTF?

bootlace15 out

oifvet23
12-12-08, 12:32 AM
bootlace I am with you on that one, what admin shop were you in ecom

ecom
12-12-08, 01:41 AM
Since his lifestyle has been sedentary up to this point, the sudden increase in activity puts him at risk for stress fractures. His muscles are not yet built up to absorb the repeated impact of his sudden increase in running. Up to the point where they fatigue and can no longer absorb impact, the impact will transfer to the bone eventually leading to stress fractures.

I'm not saying don't PT. I'm saying your muscles need some time to recuperate and develop between sessions and you need set incremental goals to build up your muscles.

You can subscribe to the no pain no game or pain is weakness leaving the body mental toughness, but keep in mind that overtraining doesn't lead to gains and can cause the opposite effect and make you more susceptible to injuries and illness.

oifvet23
12-12-08, 02:36 AM
what do you think they will do when he gets to boot? they wont be pampering his lazy a**

ecom
12-12-08, 02:45 AM
Well no **** Sherlock, but if he keeps this up, he risks not making it there at all.

oifvet23
12-12-08, 03:25 AM
ok hollywood

BR34
12-12-08, 06:11 AM
what do you think they will do when he gets to boot? they wont be pampering his lazy a**

Ecom is right. Muscles need time to recoup. The recommended time is one day. If he keeps up at the pace he's going he's just breaking his muscles down, with no rest in between to build them back up.

What he needs to be doing is working one set of muscles one day, then switching to another set the following day, then back to the previous set.

But Aries, I think you should be fine IF you don't over do it. I went to boot camp running my IST in 13:15 and I still made it out of that place. Good luck.

spotts
12-12-08, 08:19 AM
What he should have did is start PTing a long time ago. Not a few weeks before he was ready to leave for boot camp.

rvillac2
12-12-08, 10:35 AM
Poolee, he's just getting you to realize that you're mind is weak. The body can still go further than where the mind wants to quit.

I imagine you didn't run that 4mile very fast and you probably just trotted. Not much danger in getting hurt there but the Marines are right about overstraining this close to shipping out.

NoRemorse
12-12-08, 12:28 PM
I've got to give it up to ECOM and Spotts. They're dead on; I ramped up the PT over about four months before going to boot. I saw plenty get dropped due to shin splints and other avoidable injuries.

It's not the drill instructor's fault that someone showed up and wasn't up to snuff. If the kid gives it his all and doesn't make excuses he could make it; he won't be at the top of the PT pile but he will be stronger for it.

3 weeks isn't enough time for the body to really adapt to this so he's gonna be on a lot of motrin and moto in boot.

Rvillac also makes a great point.

Here's my two cents: enjoy that feeling of conquering your own fears and limitations. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world (almost comparable to earning that EGA... ALMOST).

bootlace15
12-12-08, 01:23 PM
hells bells,I'm in the Army now,I"m stuck behind a plow.............WTF,you aint got no mind in boot camp..........

bootlace15 out

oifvet23
12-12-08, 01:35 PM
i think we should move this topic to the marine only section.

Aries41886
12-12-08, 05:21 PM
You see, Im sort of being punished. Ive been in the DEP for 3 months, and for 2 of those months, have only been working out perhaps... once a week, if that. No progress there.
My legs are muscular, and im a relatively small guy, i have always had strong ass legs. Thing is, They have NO endurance.
So, at the beginning of this Month, My sergeant brought me in to see if i'd been PTing like in was supposed to, and Ran me and saw that i was way out of shape.

They make sure im hydrated, I ask for a day off and they reply that in Bootcamp, i -wont- get a day's rest. That this is to get my body used to being under stress each and every day.
After that Killer PT , The next one they put me through wasnt nearly as intensive, they ran me maybe a Mile today just to keep my legs working.
I get the weekends off, and quite honestly, i think that after this weekend's rest, I should be in way better shape come monday ( or hope I will be ) considering that they watch me very closely when they PT me, They push me to a breaking point, and beyond, somehow they can tell if someone in our group REALLY is having problems or needs to fall out.

As far as stress fractures, I understand what you're talking about.
But as of now, Im really just sore , Nothing ive never felt before. Im taking care of my body, Quit nicotine completely, Not drinking alcohol at all, Water , Gatorade, and chicken are my best friends.

SGT7477
12-12-08, 06:03 PM
i think we should move this topic to the marine only section.

Why are YOU not capitalizing Marine?:evilgrin:

oifvet23
12-13-08, 11:06 PM
i don't have to, but if you would like to discuss it let me know

NoRemorse
12-14-08, 12:12 AM
You see, Im sort of being punished. Ive been in the DEP for 3 months, and for 2 of those months, have only been working out perhaps... once a week, if that. No progress there.
My legs are muscular, and im a relatively small guy, i have always had strong ass legs. Thing is, They have NO endurance.
So, at the beginning of this Month, My sergeant brought me in to see if i'd been PTing like in was supposed to, and Ran me and saw that i was way out of shape.

They make sure im hydrated, I ask for a day off and they reply that in Bootcamp, i -wont- get a day's rest. That this is to get my body used to being under stress each and every day.
After that Killer PT , The next one they put me through wasnt nearly as intensive, they ran me maybe a Mile today just to keep my legs working.
I get the weekends off, and quite honestly, i think that after this weekend's rest, I should be in way better shape come monday ( or hope I will be ) considering that they watch me very closely when they PT me, They push me to a breaking point, and beyond, somehow they can tell if someone in our group REALLY is having problems or needs to fall out.

As far as stress fractures, I understand what you're talking about.
But as of now, Im really just sore , Nothing ive never felt before. Im taking care of my body, Quit nicotine completely, Not drinking alcohol at all, Water , Gatorade, and chicken are my best friends.

It's a good start. Lesson learned, eh? Best of luck; keep pushing.

SGT7477
12-14-08, 09:12 AM
i don't have to, but if you would like to discuss it let me know

You can get booted out of here pretty fast also, yup I would love to be your DI sunshine, INCOMING.:evilgrin:

re8elmonk0341
12-14-08, 09:16 AM
huh

oifvet23
12-14-08, 12:58 PM
shakin in my boots

Gunner 0313
12-14-08, 01:16 PM
:flag: Mind over Matter !!! If you don't mind it don't matter kid ! Seriously don't think about it just friggin do it !!!