PDA

View Full Version : City High leader joining Guard

thedrifter
12-11-08, 08:56 AM
December 11, 2008

City High leader joining Guard

Rob Daniel
Iowa City Press-Citizen

When terrorists attacked Sept. 11, 2001, Will Hollander said he wanted to return to the United States Marine Corps and serve.

However, because he was 40 at the time, he could not join the Marine Reserves.

Seven years later, at age 47, the City High assistant principal will get his chance, when he is sworn into the Iowa Army National Guard today in Des Moines. He plans to join up with the 234th Signal Battalion in Cedar Rapids when he is on duty.

"When 9/11 happened, it sparked a gut instinct to get back in and serve," Hollander said.

That chance developed further earlier this year when he spoke about Marines recruiting issues with Sgt. First Class Mark Edwards, an Iowa City-based recruiter with the Iowa National Guard. Edwards told him the Guard had raised its age limit to 42, and because Hollander had served in the Marine Corps from 1986 to 1990 and as an inactive reservist until 1996, Hollander might be able to join the Guard.

"He figured it was possible," Hollander said. "Because of my prior service ... they gave me an adjusted age of 35 years. They decided it was a vested value for them (to let me join)."

Even with the current war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hollander said he has no concerns about possibly being deployed for combat duty other than leaving his family behind.

"There are many young men going into the military from City High School, and I see no reason why I can't stand shoulder to shoulder with them," he said.

Ellie