PDA

View Full Version : Questions on being an older recruit?

hunter01
12-11-08, 03:11 AM
Sorry this is so long just wanted to give some background information. I originally wanted to go into the Marine Corps right out of high school but my dad talked me out of it. He said I needed to go to college so I did for a few years and then I met my wife and we got married. After we got married I quit college and moved back home but I have always had the desire to be a Marine so recently I have talked to a recruiter and I am going to take the asvab tomorrow. I am currently 24 years old. My recruiter said that since I have at least 15 hours of college credit I will come out of recruit training as an E2. My questions are do you think my age will make me a target for the drill instructor? Will he expect more out of me because I am older than alot of the recruits? Will me being older with more patience and maturity than alot of the younger recruits help me get through recruit training easier. Not saying that all young recruits are immature but a lot are and I know alot of the Marines reading this might be younger than I am so no disrespect meant. Ya'll have already proved your maturity and I have the utmost respect for ya'll. That is the reason I am not listening to some and finishing my degree before I join because I don't think it's fair that somebody with a piece of paper beats experience in rank. I have started working out and getting ready already and I am pretty stubborn when it comes to quitting something. I have never quit anything in my life and I never intend to so I'm not afraid of quitting or not being able to handle it. I'm just looking for a heads up. Thanks.

davblay
12-11-08, 07:13 AM
Just because I am in a good mood this morning, but use the search button, http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=653742 you'll be surprised what you'll find

Read the rules and follow them and we'll be happy.

Dave

0231Marine
12-11-08, 07:29 AM
After we got married I quit college...

I am pretty stubborn when it comes to quitting something. I have never quit anything in my life

Hmm...I'm confused?

awbrown1462
12-11-08, 07:50 AM
had a guy who was 29 in Boot Camp became honorman

kaboom1371
12-11-08, 07:59 AM
We had a guy 26 years old. The only thing I can remember was they always called him "the old man" which was a hell of a lot better than the things they called the rest of us. lol

JdnSmith
12-11-08, 11:04 AM
I just finished boot and I'm 23. There were only 3 or 4 guys older than me in my platoon. I cant speak for other Drill Instructors but mine didn't give a damn how old we were. If you were acting stupid they locked you on just the same as they would anyone else.

BR34
12-11-08, 06:02 PM
I turned 25 the day after I graduated Boot Camp. My age had no negative impact on my training.

hunter01
12-12-08, 12:13 AM
Sorry 0231Marine I did contradict myself. I'm pretty embarrassed about it actually but I should rephrase that. I temporarily put college on hold but I do plan to go back and finish.

Thanks for all the responses and next time I will do a search first.

I do have one other question that pertains to opinions on my thought process about MOS's. I did take my asvab today and I scored a 90 so the recruiter told me I can pretty much pick what MOS I would like but since I am married and 24 everybody seems to think I should do something mechanical because that is what I scored highest in. However, probably like most new recruits I have always wanted to be a sniper which requires an infantry MOS so in ya'lls opinion what should I do? Sorry it's so long again but thanks everyone.

oifvet23
12-12-08, 12:57 AM
everybody wants to be a sniper and i want to be an astronaut but it just aint in the cards. If you join the corps to be a sniper you'll be digging ditches in no time.. and believe me i don't care if you got 100 on that test, unless your daddy is a senator your almost guaranteed to not get what you want. The Marine Corps don't accommodate it fills the gaps, please do the corps a favor and join the chairforce. :evilgrin:

Achped
12-12-08, 09:36 AM
How would you feel working for a 19 year old corporal?

Wyoming
12-12-08, 10:03 AM
How would you feel working for a 19 year old corporal?

So what's like, being a 19 yo Corporal?:D

UsmcMotorT
12-12-08, 01:07 PM
I just finished boot and I'm 23. There were only 3 or 4 guys older than me in my platoon. I cant speak for other Drill Instructors but mine didn't give a damn how old we were. If you were acting stupid they locked you on just the same as they would anyone else.

Amen!

NoRemorse
12-12-08, 01:23 PM
The Grand Old Man of our platoon was 28 years old. You'll give the drill instructors plenty of other reasons to single you out.