PDA

View Full Version : Marine reserves

Mattjd
12-10-08, 06:51 PM
currently in the DEP and going to boot in aug., although trying to get my date moved to march. In my third year of college and decided to join the Marine Corps reserves. Just curious if i'll get a lot of **** for not bein active duty. because if i was active i'd probably give crap to reservists ha. Thanks

RYDERKUR
12-10-08, 06:54 PM
Uh, say again over....Do you mean looked down upon for being a Reservist?

1.Fill out profile.
2.It's Marine Corps (capitalized).
3. You're in college, I hope you can construct proper sentences.

rossmuten
12-10-08, 07:05 PM
Hey Matt Jd I don't know for sure but reservists have to spend a certain amount of days on active to be u.s veterans or else they dont even get that status.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-10-08, 07:48 PM
Yeah, one day- which you have covered when you get to boot camp.

Reservists do catch some crap for being reservists. But, so does everyone else for something. Don't worry about it, just do what is right for you and your situation.

Mindgame
12-11-08, 12:10 AM
Yep, while your in boot camp you'll get some guys busting your balls. It doesn't matter either way. You still have a job that needs to be done active or reserve. You'll also have the same opportunitys to deploy as any active unit.

It won't be until your ready to go home ,during MOS school, that your going to hear ALOT of... " Man I wish I was a reservist" LMFAO. I loved using that when it came down to the ball busting sessions. :) Made sure I threw a little "While your making your racks at 0400, ill still be in bed for a few more hours with my girl " type stuff..

rvillac2
12-11-08, 01:00 AM
Hey Matt Jd I don't know for sure but reservists have to spend a certain amount of days on active to be u.s veterans or else they dont even get that status.
Anyone who has honorably served is a veteran. To be eligible for certain benefits, a reservist must serve a minimum amount of active duty.

Mattjd
12-11-08, 09:23 AM
Yea chances are I'll be deployed at some point in the next 6 years. Thanks for the feed back though guys

CarolinaMarine
12-11-08, 08:50 PM
currently in the DEP and going to boot in aug., although trying to get my date moved to march. In my third year of college and decided to join the Marine Corps reserves. Just curious if i'll get a lot of **** for not bein active duty. because if i was active i'd probably give crap to reservists ha. Thanks

Just smile and nod. I enjoyed letting all the guys know at MOS that brought up the point that i was headed home graduation day, while they headed to their unit. And that my PT would be at 10am, while theirs was more at 4am. Mindgame is right, thats when you started hearing the "Man i should of gone reserves." Also Reserves are almost instantly picked up at MOS school for their schools, bumped to the front of the line. So that caused some uneasiness by the other guys. They may not mean it but they do think about it for a minute.

Bootcamp is the worst, you'll get recruits thinking they are better then you, and everyone else because they are the big bad active duty 0311 or something. Just brush it off, you know why you signed what you did so go do it.

The other time i heard "I wish i was a reservist" was when i was finishing MCT and seeing my boot platoon coming in. As a reservist i didn't get the month of RA duty after bootcamp they did, so i went straight to MCT and finished up and got it over with before any of them. I laughed.

Being a reservist, I can honestly say I have never had the urge to go active, especially not to fit into the crowd. I signed reserves to begin with, thats what i wanted.

So just take it with a with a smile.

UsmcMotorT
12-12-08, 01:19 PM
A Marine is a Marine, active or reservist. If an AD Marine lookds down on a reservist let me know and i'll drop kick his face.

PaidinBlood
12-12-08, 01:32 PM
Seconded..

NoRemorse
12-12-08, 01:35 PM
Thirded... and the motion is carried... by a PFC no less.

I was thinking about reenlisting in the Reserves but the bug bit me; can't stand the idea of a civilian job anymore.

UsmcMotorT
12-12-08, 02:33 PM
Thirded... and the motion is carried... by a PFC no less.

I was thinking about reenlisting in the Reserves but the bug bit me; can't stand the idea of a civilian job anymore.

Yep. My friend got out of the Army and he's having a hell of a hard time trying to get a civilian job.

Mattjd
12-12-08, 06:15 PM
Yea times are rough. Obviously becoming a Marine was my main reason for joining, but financial help with finishing school was a secondary reason. Loans arnt' easy to come by. Plus I think an employer would consider your application that much more being a Marine. A universal internship in the sense that you'll be more trustworthy, dedicated and efficient than the average civilian.