PDA

View Full Version : marine reserves

jennyluis61
12-10-08, 04:17 PM
Hi guys. I don't have much english knowledge, and computer skills so please don't get mad at me for writing or placing this post in the wrong section. My name is Jenny im 47 years old and I'm a mother. my son want to go into the marines active duty, and there no way I'm going to let him do that, but I also need to understand that he is all grown up and have the option to join. I would like him to join the reserve because at least he gets to be by me. I have some questions to ask if you don't mind me asking.

1. When he finish Boot camp is he guarentee in the reserve when he apply for it, or is it something they have to see with opening spot or experience?

2. What are the chances he will be going to war?

3. Does he get to wear his uniform or what kind of uniform is issue? Like i would love for people to know I have a son in the armed forces when im going shopping :)

4. If he does go to iraq how long will he be there, and what will he be doing once he is back?

Thank You

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-10-08, 04:45 PM
First, if he is 18 years old, there is nothing you can do to stop him from joining the Marine Corps, active duty or reserves. It really is his decision and his life to live. I really encourage you to support him in the decision he has to make for himself, it simply isn't yours to make. I'd hate for him to go through a period like I did when I didn't speak to my father for two years after I enlisted.

To the questions:
1. Yes, if he enlists as a reservist he is going to be a reservist.
2. It is impossible to say. It depends on his MOS, the needs of the Marine Corps, and future foreign policy. We have no way of knowing exactly what Obama will do once in office.
3. He can wear some uniforms. But, it is highly unusual for anyone to wear a uniform when they aren't required to do so. T-shirts and the like are the usual way we show our affiliation with the Marine Corps when we choose to do so.
4. He could be in Iraq for any period of time. It seems that about 8 months is normal right now. When he gets back he would resume his normal life, attend drill once each month and 2 weeks in the summer until it is time to go again.

jennyluis61
12-10-08, 04:57 PM
He also think the reserve is a good idea also. My husband was in the United States Army, and he have the right to say he was a soilder, if my son do enlist as reserve is he still A Marine or do they call you different? or is he call a marine reserve. Hes always doing something big with his life. First it was mom I want that GSXR 1000, I ask him what are you going to do with a 1000cc bike he said, "I want to live alittle". Next is I want to get a tattoo, I told him its going to kill your skill, and he say "we all are going to down soon so what will it matter". Now hes 18 and he want to be in a big gang which would be the marines corps. Basically joining the marine for him is like have pride of belong somewhere. I think he wanted to get a tattoo that say USMC on his back after he finish boot camp and if he enlist as reserve does he have the right to get that tattoo since he is reserve? Im really scare for where he is taking his life, but I also want to make sure hes in the right place so thats what I'm asking these questions.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-10-08, 07:51 PM
Everyone that graduates from boot camp or OCS is a Marine. Your husband has the right to say he WAS a soldier. Your son will be a Marine until the day he dies.

He can get a Marine Corps tattoo after he graduates, as long as he doesn't violate the tattoo policy. It would be a very bad idea to get one before he enlists, that just creates more problems for him.

UsmcMotorT
12-12-08, 01:36 PM
He will be called a Marine, because he will be a Marine.

As Echo four Bravo stated, the only uniform I can imagine a Marine going shopping in is Marine affiliated shirts and jackets. However, I guess he could wear his Dress Charlies or Deltas (the blue trousers with white barracks cover) while on leave or liberty so you can show him off. Just have the broom ready to fight off the mob of women wanting your son.

A deployment tour can range from 7-12 months. And depending on his job and unit will be a major factor on his rotation cycle.

I'm attached with a Navy unit and I have only been deployed once in 2003 for OIF. I don't think there is a need for us right now unless we start another war soon.