PDA

View Full Version : B-Billet

sec9
12-10-08, 01:00 AM
I enlisted under Combat Support and am scheduled to ship in February. I was wondering how available B-Billet options are to someone in the Combat Support Field. From reading around on different websites, it seems that any Marine may apply for a B-Billet, but I wanted to see if that is something that Marines regularly do, or if it is just something these websites say is possible, but really involve other requirements that they do not know about. I am completely fine with Combat Support and will go wherever the Marine Corps needs me, but I want to see if the Marine Corps Security Guard option would be available as well. Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-08, 02:31 AM
Correct, but it's a long term thing. Concern yourself with getting through the initial steps of your career prior to thinking about B billets and such. Yes, anyone can apply, but there are certain benchmarks that must be met prior to even getting talked to about B billets, such as rank, time in service, etc.

Again, concern yourself with your first 2 years and being OUTstanding in the Marine Corps and your MOS, then look to B billets.

SupChf
12-10-08, 06:58 AM
"B" Billets normally won't be "offered" to you until your second enlistment....

keystone6541
12-11-08, 01:00 AM
I can only comment on the Marine Security Guard program as I have already gone through the school and am out on the program now. You need to be in the fleet for at least a year and have earned the rank of LCpl. I agree with both GySgt and Sgt that you should first become proficient in you MOS and then look at B-billets. It is good that you are planning you career now though.

sec9
12-11-08, 01:49 AM
Appreciate the replies. Thanks.

SemperYatYas
02-05-09, 02:44 PM
I just got promoted to Ssgt and I am getting ready to go on my 3rd enlistment. I'm stuck in a rut because I was first with 3rd AA Bn, then to AAS Bn. to teach MARINES how to be amtrackers wich is non-deployable. I want to go back to the fleet to deploy before I do a B Billet but I'm hearing different things from Marines I work with. I need a little advice on what to do and what would be a good B billet. Thanks

SupChf
02-05-09, 02:55 PM
I just got promoted to Ssgt and I am getting ready to go on my 3rd enlistment. I'm stuck in a rut because I was first with 3rd AA Bn, then to AAS Bn. to teach MARINES how to be amtrackers wich is non-deployable. I want to go back to the fleet to deploy before I do a B Billet but I'm hearing different things from Marines I work with. I need a little advice on what to do and what would be a good B billet. Thanks

Big Dog,

Personally, I would want to go back on Recrutiing Duty. Nothing against the DI's out there, they have a hard job as well, but having the flexibility of making your own schedule and controlling your own future is the difference. I have many good friends that were DI's and some will say go DI and other will say go Recruiting and yet others will say go MSG. It's really up to you and what kinds of "freedoms" you want. Family, if any, really plays into it as well.

Gunz