PDA

View Full Version : Hole lot of Krispy Kremes sent to Marine

thedrifter
06-06-03, 08:52 AM
June 05, 2003

Hole lot of Krispy Kremes sent to Marine

Associated Press

ONTARIO, Calif. — Eric Agurcia has a craving for some Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Problem is, the Marine lance corporal is thousands of miles away in Iraq.
On June 4, the Krispy Kreme store at Ontario Mills shopping center donated 240 glazed doughnuts to Agurcia and other U.S. troops as part of a national Free Doughnut Day promotion at all of the doughnut maker’s shops. The items sent to Iraq normally would sell for $119.80.

The journey began when Agurcia, 24, called his mother from Iraq. He asked for only one thing — Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

“He said it would be a miracle if I get a Krispy Kreme,” said his mother, Rita Rivera. “After I hung up, I said, ‘I think we can take care of that miracle.’ ”

Going the extra mile and donating the 240 doughnuts was Krispy Kreme’s way of getting involved with the local community and giving back to American troops, said store general manager Raza Peerbhoy.

“When he told us he would sponsor this, we just broke down,” Rivera said. “My husband and I were in tears.”

Rivera and her family packed the doughnuts and sent them out June 4.

She expects the postage to cost $250 and will take two to three weeks to reach her son. Before sending the doughnuts to her son, Rivera sealed them in airtight packages to keep them fresh.

Her son and his comrades could use the doughnuts, she said. He told her he and the other Marines have lost an average of 30 pounds each since they arrived in Iraq.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger

ugly_angel362
06-06-03, 05:15 PM
That is such a great thing to do. It stuff like that makes our troops remember why they are out there defending the US. Because there are people out there who will go the extra mile just so they can have the simplest thing.