PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

ForeverChanged
12-09-08, 07:41 AM
Good morning Marines. As most of you may know I just graduated bootcamp last week. Upon returning home I was confronted with a small deal of debt...my truck payment. Prior to shipping I was broke as all hell, and wasnt getting any richer. I asked my recruiter if there was anything I could do, and was told the Marine Corps couldn't help me, and that it was my responsibility while I was gone to cover the bills. Well I did take some initiative, but having no one to cover it while I was gone (and Im not the type of person to ask a relative for money, and if I did times were just as tough for them as they were for me), I parked the truck (ok hid it from the repo man) in a relatives shop far far away.

While at bootcamp I was unable to make a bank call due to some hate from a certain Ssgt. and besides there were pickups with family (whom had been on the island for months already) that needed to make the bank call way more than me, and our Senior Drill Instructor only allowed 3-4 to go at a time.

So upon returning home, I sucked it up and spent damned near every dollar that came home with me getting the truck paid up to date, and buying a little insurance. This morning while browsing some threads, I ran into this one http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75019 and was wondering, is there anything at this point I can do? Im more than willing to suck it up and call my loss, and it wouldn't be an issue if it werent for the fact this now appears on my friggin' credit. I raised hell with the bank, so that idea is already down the drain :bunny:.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance,

Semper FI

Wyoming
12-09-08, 07:51 AM
Good morning Marines. As most of you may know I just graduated bootcamp last week. Upon returning home I was confronted with a small deal of debt...my truck payment. Prior to shipping I was broke as all hell, and wasnt getting any richer. I asked my recruiter if there was anything I could do, and was told the Marine Corps couldn't help me, and that it was my responsibility while I was gone to cover the bills. Well I did take some initiative, but having no one to cover it while I was gone (and Im not the type of person to ask a relative for money, and if I did times were just as tough for them as they were for me), I parked the truck (ok hid it from the repo man) in a relatives shop far far away.

While at bootcamp I was unable to make a bank call due to some hate from a certain Ssgt. and besides there were pickups with family (whom had been on the island for months already) that needed to make the bank call way more than me, and our Senior Drill Instructor only allowed 3-4 to go at a time.

So upon returning home, I sucked it up and spent damned near every dollar that came home with me getting the truck paid up to date, and buying a little insurance. This morning while browsing some threads, I ran into this one http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75019 and was wondering, is there anything at this point I can do? Im more than willing to suck it up and call my loss, and it wouldn't be an issue if it werent for the fact this now appears on my friggin' credit. I raised hell with the bank, so that idea is already down the drain :bunny:.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance,

Semper FI

Hate from a SSgt at boot? Nope, leave that be.

So you paid off the debt???

What again is the problem?

ForeverChanged
12-09-08, 08:11 AM
Im broke and thats killing my credit.

Wyoming
12-09-08, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I couldn't look uo your dress and read your mind.

Credit is killed and in a mess?

Sorry Son, you made your bed, now sleep in it.

awbrown1462
12-09-08, 08:23 AM
you can add a note on your credit report stateing you where at boot camp and got back up to date when you got out. that will not change anything but some may read it and say ok lets let him have a chance

SupChf
12-09-08, 09:40 AM
you can add a note on your credit report stateing you where at boot camp and got back up to date when you got out. that will not change anything but some may read it and say ok lets let him have a chance

Agree with AW on this. Get through to your 1st duty station and get with MCCS. They have professionals on the staff that will walk you through anything related to credit. I have referred many young Marines to them over the years with mostly positive outcomes.

PaidinBlood
12-09-08, 09:45 AM
Everyone beat me to referring you to them, but when I look around me, it's like they don't exist. Plenty of Marines up to their eyeballs in debt around here. "I got 40k to re-enlist so I'll spend 50k!"

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-08, 09:49 AM
Yep. Basically, just keep up to date with your payments and bills, and you'll work yourself out of the hole. If the truck is now paid up, start an allotment from your pay to keep it that way.

Lastly, dump your damn credit cards, NOW, even if you still owe on em. Pay em off. Don't spend more than you make. Easier said than done, but that will be about the only thing that will help, long term.

awbrown1462
12-09-08, 09:51 AM
seen a lot of young Marines who now get more then they ever made go out and buy alot of stuff they dont need and now have no money owe alot more then they can pay

ironjohn929
12-09-08, 09:59 AM
As others have said, you're going to have to suck it up for a while. As awbrown said, it would be a good idea to add a note to all three of your credit reports. I really don't see your situation as...

usmc0331
12-09-08, 01:30 PM
you are entitled to an account freeze(while at bootcamp or deployment) under the soldiers and sailors act. <br />
<br />
a creditor must freeze your account and you will acquire no interest, late charges etc...

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-09-08, 02:07 PM
They aren't responsible for violating the Soldiers and Sailors Act unless he let them know and jumped through the proper hoops- and it doesn't sound as if that was done.

The damage is done to your credit. You'll recover though, it isn't that big of a deal. Being broke doesn't hurt your credit as long as you don't run up debt. So, pay your bills and you'll be OK.

usmc0331
12-09-08, 02:20 PM
They aren't responsible for violating the Soldiers and Sailors Act unless he let them know and jumped through the proper hoops- and it doesn't sound as if that was done.

yeppers

sdk87to91
12-09-08, 03:40 PM
Time will take care of it.
Stay in the barracks,
hit the books
eat at the chowhall
enjoy your roommates stereo
dont get married
Maybe even sell the truck. It will only cost you more at the places it takes you.
if you get a credit card as the wise Marine above suggested, self impose a low credit limit and refuse credit limit increases. You can always call on short notice and get them to raise it in emergencies.
Dont take cash advances.

I regret the above lessons to this day, however it all worked out. I sold my truck to payoff all my debt after EAS. I had to start over from scratch and that is now way to seperate..
Unfortunately the creditors know Marines are a safe risk at least for 4 years, so they line up to give you loans.

Time doesnt fly when you are young, like when I am looking back in hindsight...... you are a step ahead of me by realizing these things now.