PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gifts bring holiday cheer

thedrifter
12-09-08, 06:51 AM
Birthday gifts bring holiday cheer

12/8/2008 By Pfc. Justin W. Wiemers , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. — For many children celebrating a birthday is about receiving presents, but for a 10-year-old Arlington girl it became about giving gifts to the less fortunate.

Lauren A. Proulx celebrated her birthday with a party Sunday, and instead of having her guest bring presents for her, she asked them to bring unwrapped toys that could be donated to Toys for Tots.

‘‘I donated the toys, because I don’t play with all the toys I get for my birthday. So I give them to other kids who will treasure them,” said Proulx.

‘‘I think it’s wonderful that she wants to do this,” said Cathy J. Proulx, Lauren’s mother. She added that she recognized the sacrifice her daughter was making and made sure that she received gifts to keep for herself as well.

‘‘I realize that other kids don’t have what I have,” said Proulx.

She said she had a great birthday and feels privileged knowing a few more children are going to have a very special holiday season.

Editor’s Note: For additional information about the Toys for Tots campaign and volunteer opportunities, visit www.quantico.usmc.mil.

Ellie