PDA

View Full Version : Possible fake Marine...

Photoshooter
12-08-08, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I am a former US Navy Lt, that spent 5 years with Special Boat Unit XI from 1984-1989. Having served in the NavSpecWar, I am aware of the number of people who claim to be former SEAL team members, Marine Force Recon members or other members of our rather elite community. I have a friend who has run into someone I suspect of making such a false claim. I could be wrong but his story doesn't pass the sniff test.

John Hotz, (age 47) of Port Orange, Florida, claims to have been a sniper with Force Recon (as well as being a member of a FAST team), and claims to have served in the Panama invasion in 1989. (He is also claiming PTSD from that experience as well interestingly enough). Is there any way to confirm this claim? Is there a roster of men who have served in that engagement or a roster that would be searchable for his actual membership in Force Recon? A roster of men that have gone through Marine Sniper training that would have served in thetime frame of the invasion of Panama?

I detest military "fakers", they dishonor those have have truly been there and done that. This guy might be legit, but he has told other lies that cause me to question this story. I've not met him personally, I've just heard of his claims through a friend who is in contact with him.

Is it possible to send out an email to your members with these questions to either validate his claims or expose him for the dishonorable coward that I believe him to be?

1) Does anyone know of a John Hotz in Force Recon that was deployed during the Panama invasion? If so, can they contact me directly?

2) Does Force Recon utilize Marine Corps trained snipers as part of their normal assets deployed?

3) Does anyone know of a John Hotz EVER going through Force Recon school in ANY class?

4) Does anyone know of a John Hotz (originally from MA, I believe) ever going through Marine basic training and earning the right to wear a Marine Corps uniform?

I know that he currently lives in Port Orange, Florida and is apparently from the east coast, but don't know if he did his basic training in the east or was a hollywood Marine (I'm assuming Paris Island). I also know that he is currently age 47 and assume that he probably went through basic at the age of 18-19. He supposedly told this woman that his military could not be found in the normal searches and that they are classified. More total bull****, but I just can't prove it. SEAL team has retired chiefs that call upon people who claim to be former SEALs and discuss the intelligence of making such claims in a rather intimidating way with those *******s. Wish you guys had a similar program. Is there anything that you can think of that may help me prove or disprove the validity of his claims? It would sure make me feel good knowing that this guy is exposed for the fraud that he seems to be.

Sincerely,

Lt. Michael Sanservino, USN(R)
PO Box 1362
North Bend, WA 98045
425-802-0011

:iwo::iwo::iwo:

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-08-08, 08:05 PM
We're nowhere near as good at catching the fakes that you all are. I suppose that probably stems from the higher profile that the SEALs have, and thus more fakers would attempt to make the claims.

That said, there are people that do a great deal of work on these types of issues. It may take some time, but they'll get to the bottom of these claims.

Wyoming
12-08-08, 08:58 PM
Sir, not sure where Port Orange, Fl is located, but I have a friend that is a true Seal, living in Pt St Lucie, Fl.

Are these 2 places near each other?

I can say that my friend outed a wannabee. The wannabee now lives in Spain.

I agree, with E4B and yourself, I wish we had a similar program to out the *******s.

Sir, hows about a profile here. You seem like someone that could be an interesting member of this site.

Photoshooter
12-08-08, 09:10 PM
bigalholmes165 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=4476)---Not sure but if we can prove this guy's a the cowardly liar I think he is, perhaps a Force Recon Sniper could pay him a visit. Death from afar... lol. Hey, I hung up my bars a LONG time Ago, haven't been a sir in just as long a time! I did add to my profile, I was in during the cold war, no big deal.

Wyoming
12-08-08, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard, Sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-08-08, 09:39 PM
You'll always be a sir to us, sir!

I hope you stick around, we may be Marine- but we do appreciate our squiddly brethren.

hrscowboy
12-08-08, 10:36 PM
Your bars will not be hung up here sir that is for sure you earned them and as long as you are here in this website you will be respected as such..

Photoshooter
12-08-08, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys, we all signed up to serve our country, we did our part, all of us here. Many have done a lot more than me, regardless of rank, and for that I salute my Jarhead brothers with respect and honor you guys as well.

I guess that is one of the many reasons that this poser rankles my hackles... He uses the honor of our uniform and the integrity for which it stands, the blood that was shed in it, for his own agenda of trying to impress women and try to impress those who he sells boats to. I hope that someone can provide me with some definitive answers to completely resolve his questionable claims, but it is difficult to prove beyond ALL doubt from what I'm discovering. I'm hoping that I will be able to make contact with a few guys that DID serve in Force Recon, during the Panama invasion, since there could not have been so many that if he existed as a sniper, he would have gone unnoticed by someone. Then again if someone actually did recall serving with him, and it really was him, then that is settled in his favor and I'll owe him an apoligy...not bloody likely though!

:iwo::iwo::iwo:

thewookie
12-08-08, 11:46 PM
1st FAST was in Panama at that time, (1989) so it's conceivable that he was with them.

You should seek-out some of the older 1st FAST Co. guys. There's a website out there that you could find some of the older guys - then try to make confirmation on that angle. I bet you could do the same with Force, we might not as high speed about catching them as the SEALS - but we try. The Marine Corps is a small world when you get to talking to people. Especially when we are talking about small unit operations not some large scale op.

Doing some basic math, based on his current age.... he would have been in his late 20s in 1989, and that means that he should have been in a leadership position back then, and therefore I would think that he should be well known.

It might be easy to "blend" in as Joe Smuck-A-Telly PFC, but if he was a Sgt. or Staff NCO back then you'd think guys from that operation would remember him.

Photoshooter
12-08-08, 11:54 PM
Sgt Wookie,
Thanks, I'll see if I can find someone from 1st FAST Co. that would know something. You are right, I'd suspect he'd have to be at least an e-3 or e-4 to have gone through that training, and be at that age, in 1989, so that's a good path to follow. Perhaps if I suspect, it all leads to nada, I'll post his address so that he may get a visit from some of the real FAST and FORCE guys that could explain to him a few things about honor, integrity and the wisdom of making such claims. It'd be entertaining to hear about how his drawers got filled with his intestinal contents... lol.

Semper Fi!

thewookie
12-08-08, 11:58 PM
Catching posers is all about checking up, and working all the angles. If they are lying, their story will breakdown with a little pressure, persistence, and follow-up.

Let them talk.... and then try to confirm one thing at a time.

With that being said.....

Since he said he was a Marine Sniper.......You can also contact the United States Marine Scout Sniper Association http://usmcscoutsniper.org/ and check with them to see if they can run his name through their database for school trained snipers.

HOG's don't like posers at all.

Good luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-08, 09:55 AM
Elltee:

If you have the ability to do so, some basic checking will get you started:

Ask for his Platoon number and Battalion, as well as where he attended Recruit Training. Those are usually the first things a poser screws up. ALL Marines remember their Platoon number.

If he was in during the 1980's, he would have had to have been an Infantryman, and went through one of two places for Infantry School. And, it was called something else in those days, not 'School of Infantry' like it is now. Again, there will be things that may, or may not, add up.

Next, if he was FAST Company, it's unlikely that he would have been a sniper. Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. Recon, the same way. Recon typically in the 1980's did NOT employ snipers, esp. Force Recon. Two totally distinct and separate missions (FAST & Recon). Could a Marine conceivably go between the two of them? Yes. Could a Marine be a sniper, Recon, FAST Marine? Ummmm.....well...possibly, but the odds on that one are extremely high.

vipere6
12-09-08, 02:27 PM
If he smells like a fake, he probably is is a fake. Don't care much for them either.

nptwildcat
12-09-08, 02:44 PM
47? So he's my age. I enlisted in 1980. I didn't stay in long, but if I had made it till 1989, I should have at least been an E-5. So with that little bit of math,this guy should have been also. I don't remember every E-2 or E-3 from my unit, but I damn sure remember the E-5 and E-6's. So if he is what he says, someone will remember him.

Photoshooter
12-09-08, 06:00 PM
Well nothing definitive yet...keep this thread alive...

mgkusmc
12-10-08, 08:07 AM
Huh?! What happened to the post I put on here?

Photoshooter
12-17-08, 01:07 AM
Latest info on this looser. No record of him with Scout/Sniper association either.

If anyone is in or near Port Orchard, FL, or is involved in purchase of or negotiation of purchasing patrol boats for the military, or law enforcement...contact me and I will gladly supply you more information on this poser who uses his "Marine Sniper Force Recon/FAST" history to get laid and impress buyers of his boats. John Hotz, what a slimebag.

Petz
12-17-08, 02:54 AM
Sir, not sure where Port Orange, Fl is located, but I have a friend that is a true Seal, living in Pt St Lucie, Fl.

Are these 2 places near each other?

I can say that my friend outed a wannabee. The wannabee now lives in Spain.

I agree, with E4B and yourself, I wish we had a similar program to out the *******s.

Sir, hows about a profile here. You seem like someone that could be an interesting member of this site.

my grandmother used to live there!

Petz
12-17-08, 03:00 AM
PhotoShooter, I know it's a crime to be posing as a military member... if you see him wearing medals you can sick the feds on him to take him down.... other than that you just need to knee him in the gonads and laugh... asking why his Recon training didn't help him see that one coming...haha

I hate fakers.

semper good luck

vipere6
12-17-08, 07:36 AM
I'll help you Sgt Petzold

KawiGunny
12-17-08, 08:16 AM
I was in Operation Just Cause back in '89 - '90. I was with 3/6 Wpns Co. We were attached to India and Kilo Co's down there. Off the top of my head I can't remember that name. That was some time back so it may have just slide deeper back into my filing cabinet.

Good luck.

MGySgtSki
12-18-08, 02:15 PM
Latest info on this looser. No record of him with Scout/Sniper association either.

If anyone is in or near Port Orchard, FL, or is involved in purchase of or negotiation of purchasing patrol boats for the military, or law enforcement...contact me and I will gladly supply you more information on this poser who uses his "Marine Sniper Force Recon/FAST" history to get laid and impress buyers of his boats. John Hotz, what a slimebag.

You might want to try vetting him over at SOCNET. They're a good bunch of folks over there and do the best they can on helping squash posers. Lots of Recon Bn and Force time with the Marines on that site, so I'm sure if he was around the company when he says he was, someone over there would remember him.

S/F

Foxtrot51
05-15-09, 03:38 PM
I don't believe you Mike. I have known John Hotz in Port Orange (unless there is more then one and best I can tell there isn't) for 14+ years.

John runs with a bunch of prior/retired miltary (to include Marines). He is also involved in an industry that is filled with former military so what you are claiming does not add up at all. John is not a rocket scientest but he ain't f**king stupid either. He would be outed in a heartbeat.

I was Navy. Not a SEAL but you can find me over at socnet.com.

Wyoming
05-15-09, 05:33 PM
I don't believe you Mike. I have known John Hotz in Port Orange (unless there is more then one and best I can tell there isn't) for 14+ years.

John runs with a bunch of prior/retired miltary (to include Marines). He is also involved in an industry that is filled with former military so what you are claiming does not add up at all. John is not a rocket scientest but he ain't f**king stupid either. He would be outed in a heartbeat.

I was Navy. Not a SEAL but you can find me over at socnet.com.

Dunno who you are, but the LT has some pretty convincing comments. What I hear from you is that he runs with a bunch of military types. Oops, red flag there. Also, explain to me this classified records business. Whoa, another red flag.

Now this fellow could be our long lost Brother, but, hows about a bit more details.

Speaking of details, how about some of yours?

Foxtrot51
05-15-09, 06:04 PM
BigAl: John ain't your long lost brother. He has NEVER been in the military. What I don't believe is that he is running around making himself out to be a Marine. Like I said, he runs with a bunch of retired/prior military + LE types. If he ever passed himself off as former military he would be shooting himself in the foot. He works in an industry filled with LE and military types. Again, a situation where boasting like decribed here would be terminal.

Me?
USN
LT
USS WAINWRIGHT CG-28; Jul 86 - Dec 88
SBU-26; Jan 89 - Sep 92
NAVSCIATTS; Sep 92 - Mar 93
President Clinton = early out

Rocky C
05-15-09, 06:16 PM
LT. Please tell us about PHOTOSHOOTER, the person you called Mike in this thread. he has not posted here since 12-17-08, 02:07 AM. Is there bad blood between these two people.
Please understand we are Hyper-Vigelante here and how did you know to join this site as a Marine Friend and find PHOTOSHOOTERS aka Mikes Thread???
Thank you,
Rocky

SSgt McCord
05-15-09, 06:28 PM
Sir,
I know since you have worked with SpecOps you will understand this. I do know some retired Delta guys and have meet a few SEALS that have been there and done that. Those guys NEVER talked about it, I had to pull it from them. The Delta guys only told me about 1 paragraph and then changed the subject. As for the Marines doing stuff that was TOP SECRET and CLASSIFIED, well I would say now if they are in MARSOC I could see it, or Vietnam Vets that did some stuff there, but I think he is talking CRAP!!

Ask him what was his Plt# in Bootcamp.

Ask him does he know the names of his Drill Instructors, I can name all of mine right now, and will NEVER forget them!!

I know there are some Scout/Snipers on here who can give you a few things to ask him about being a sniper, that will see if he is a fake!!

Thanks for looking out for the Corps!!!

Semper Fi

SSgt McCord

Foxtrot51
05-15-09, 06:34 PM
I don't know for sure who PHOTOSHOOTER is. If it is who I think it is there is some bad blood there....female in the middle of all of it. Timing of initial post is definitely right. Enough said?

How did I hear about this thread? Internet is a powerful tool. Lots of people use it to check on people they are looking to hire or do business with (we do at my company for example). This thread is f***ing with John's reputation and that ****es me off. He is a good man who really helped me transition from military to successful civilian career. I hate posers as much as anybody but I rank those who wage public false personal attacks right down there with the wannabes.

Rocky C
05-15-09, 06:41 PM
I don't know for sure who PHOTOSHOOTER is. If it is who I think it is there is some bad blood there....female in the middle of all of it. Timing of initial post is definitely right. Enough said?

How did I hear about this thread? Internet is a powerful tool. Lots of people use it to check on people they are looking to hire or do business with (we do at my company for example). This thread is f***ing with John's reputation and that ****es me off. He is a good man who really helped me transition from military to successful civilian career. I hate posers as much as anybody but I rank those who wage public false personal attacks right down there with the wannabes.

Thank you LT. For your response, your Honesty and your Service and Sacrifice to our country. You are a Gentleman Sir.
I think we all get the jist now of PHOTOSHOOTERS motivation.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Foxtrot51
05-15-09, 06:48 PM
Thanks Rocky. Back at you.

You got my word that if I find out different, or find out more, I will post it here.

Rocky C
05-15-09, 06:56 PM

You got my word that if I find out different, or find out more, I will post it here.

Much appreciated and don't be a stranger here. You are a Marine Friend, an Officer and a Gentleman. (Hey wasn't that a movie???) I love that movie....
Sometimes I crack me up :D

Rocky

Namster
05-15-09, 09:02 PM
I was in 2nd Force from 89-91. 3rd plt.

Was state side for very few months out of that time.

I knew my platoon members, but very few others. We were always active. We were gone on various schools or deployments or TAD all the time.

When I left, I came back from 26th MEU, I hardly knew anyone at HQ.

There are different snipers. Some trained at Quantico (Scout/sniper instructor school) and I think Division schools trained snipers as well. We had a few. Sgt Elder was a team leader and sniper instructor.

We also had a guy who was in FAST co. So this move has happened.

Go to www.forcerecon.com (http://www.forcerecon.com).

They are all vetted members. Joe Settelen was past president (he and I went to indoc at 2nd force together many years ago). Andy Christian is current president. Ask them your questions. They have contacts in the organization now.

D

Tom Pemberton
05-15-09, 09:13 PM
I got my copy of my Marine Corp Recruit Depot out and took a look to see what we did after graduation. It was called outposting. Most Marines went on to Camp Lejuene for four weeks of "Individual Combat Training" according to the book. The only exception were those Marines that were headed to Marine Aviation Duty.If the guy went to boot at P.I. he would have left there and went to what we called A.I.T. for four weeks. I was with Third Batt. Plt.348. You NEVER forget your Plt. NEVER!
If he never saw "Iron Mike" he is a fake!

charm1110
05-15-09, 09:14 PM
I'm not quite sure who I believe here yet!
very interesting but it happens all the time you know, people posing as something they're not. I hope the real poser here is found out. I just have a hard time believing that real Naval officer would put his reputation on the line with some sort of personal squabble over a female. This whole thing stinks if you ask me.

charm1110
05-15-09, 09:21 PM
I've not met him personally, I've just heard of his claims through a friend who is in contact with him.

Photoshooter, Sir, why don't you arrange a meeting through your friend and meet this person yourself? To come on here and post someone's name with an accusation like that seems a little odd without checking your own facts first.

Photoshooter
05-15-09, 09:53 PM

Hotz made these comments to a woman that I know very well in order to play on her admiration for men and women who serve. His stories and a couple emails were passed on to me when she became suspicious. His claims NEVER rang true to me so I did some research, including the posts here. As far as I can determine, he is a liar and a poser. He also isn't that bright apparently. He made claims of designing a boat used in specwar and also of opening up a sales division in Liberia for patrol craft. If you know ANYTHING about that part of Africa, you know that there is no MONEY for purchasing ANY quantity of these boats (hell, there isn't even a government that is operational).

When Hotz was confronted with the evidence (or lack thereof) about his being a sniper, member of Force Recon, participating in the Panama invasion and all of his other stories, while at a boat convention in New Orleans last November...he went away. Knowing that he is a habitual liar, I'm sure he's still making claims.

Bad blood? Posers should be forced to change bedpans in the VA system for a few years in my opinion (that is the only socially acceptable punishment that I can think of... I'd kinda prefer to see how far he can swim from 80 miles offshore). He messed up a friend of mine and I don't take real kindly to that.

Lt. Mike Sanservino, USNR

(PS I've not been on the forum for a number of reasons, not the least of which is moving and starting a new job with a startup company) Foxtrot, if you know that guy personally and you want proof, I'll see what I can come up with. He is a f*****g disgrace and scumbag.

sparkie
05-15-09, 10:02 PM
Very interesting thread. I'll keep watchin, 'cause I hate Em like you all do.
Just my 2 cents,,,,,,Salesman plus Classified = suspicion on my part.
And yes, it's true,,,,I know my Plt# and 3 DIs names from 1969.

Namster
05-15-09, 10:08 PM
LT, it is good to hear a poser-outed story.

I am ashamed to say, I had to look at the graduation book to remember the names of my DI's. I'll never forget their demeanor, though. I recall (then) Sgt Parsons as one tough mother: think of a dark green Arnold in his prime, but half the size.

Wyoming
05-15-09, 10:18 PM
Well I am totally confused!!

Photoshooter
05-16-09, 12:00 AM
Photoshooter, Sir, why don't you arrange a meeting through your friend and meet this person yourself? To come on here and post someone's name with an accusation like that seems a little odd without checking your own facts first.

I have thoroughly checked Hotz's claims, have asked for anyone who might have supported his claims to contact me, ran a background check on him and spoke with his ex wife...this despicable creep has a history of lying and manipulating women. This time he picked the wrong one to lie to. Like I said, I get rather ticked off when a friend of mine is taken advantage of and EXTREMELY ticked off by some coward claiming to be a service member in order to benefit from these claims (be it getting laid or making a profit). To make up claims of military heroics in order profit by them is like ****ing on the graves of those who gave their lives for our country as far as I'm concerned.

Photoshooter
05-16-09, 01:17 AM

This is not a "public false personal attack" this is a public personal attack backed up with facts, and a lot of research. If you think he is such a "good man" perhaps you should contact me directly rather than attack me, I did the research. I'd never heard of this creep before my friend told me about him and his statements and her suspicions. This friend of yours told his heroic stories to a woman in order to manipulate her. It doesn't matter that he hasn't made these claims to you or to others in his industry, the fact that he made those claims to ANYONE for his personal gain demonstrates what a despicable individual he is. Before you attack me, perhaps you should contact me directly and find out what his claims were. Your loyalty is commendable, but this guy doesn't deserve it. Perhaps you might also talk with his ex wife as well and find out what he did to her and their daughters.