PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco?

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 03:28 PM
Alright, I am 17, and I know its bad to use tobacco, but its been sometime when i first started, Ive quit smoking, but I have continued to use chewing tobacco.

My question is
How many Marines on here quit while in DEP, or quit once they left MEPS and to the airport on their way to Recruit Training,
And was it difficult to quit at Recruit Training, or are you doing so much, you just don't think about?

Thanks, Marines.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-08-08, 03:32 PM
It isn't difficult to quit at boot camp, you don't have any choice in the matter. You're going to quit whether you like it or not.

In reality, you're miserable anyway, it isn't going to matter. I honestly never thought about Copenhaagen until I was in MRP... that's when I was wanting some.

Enigmatic
12-08-08, 03:59 PM
I quit while in boot camp like we all had to....then on RA some of the recruiters and all of us on RA smoked so I started lighting them back up again. I still smoke, unfortunately.

Smoking was never even a thought while in boot camp. Not once....dipping either...

RYDERKUR
12-08-08, 04:02 PM
Cpl. B and Cpl. Gonzalez, you guys aren't joshin' him even a little? Haha. I'm not going to lie, I never lost my craving for the whole three months, morning were the worst.

Enigmatic
12-08-08, 04:05 PM
Cpl. B and Cpl. Gonzalez, you guys aren't joshin' him even a little? Haha. I'm not going to lie, I never lost my craving for the whole three months, morning were the worst.

Really? I started smoking when I was 13. Smoked all the way until I was the MEPs the day I was leaving for boot...and I never once had a craving in boot camp. OK, maybe once ina GREAAAAT while...but every morning? Dude, you got issues...get the patch...lol

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-08-08, 04:36 PM
I really didn't think about it until I was in MRP. I thought it was strange then, but it was what it was. Of course, within minutes of graduating I had a new can in my hand. The craving was back with an attitude at that point.

Wyoming
12-08-08, 05:24 PM
Check with 84.

She gave up dipping, after a 4 year duration, when she went to PI.

Phantom Blooper
12-08-08, 05:51 PM
Check with 84.

She gave up dipping, after a 4 year duration, when she went to PI.

At that time chew was soaked in pizz and vinegar!:evilgrin:

Marine84
12-08-08, 07:17 PM
Rabbit tobaco!

I smoked til I was told to put the last one out by the bus driver. DI even threw away 1/2 a pack that was in my purse. The day I graduated, when I got outside that gate, I asked my Dad for one (a Camel with no filter). I had to light it up 3 times to smoke the whole thing.

Every now and then I would want one but, for the biggest part we were too busy to think about it.

Rowe907
12-08-08, 08:14 PM
Youll be thinking about more important things at boot camp. The worst part was seeing Drill Instructors with a chewskie in. Wanna talk about a helpless, heartbroken feeling.

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 08:28 PM
Rabbit tobaco!

I smoked til I was told to put the last one out by the bus driver. DI even threw away 1/2 a pack that was in my purse. The day I graduated, when I got outside that gate, I asked my Dad for one (a Camel with no filter). I had to light it up 3 times to smoke the whole thing.

Every now and then I would want one but, for the biggest part we were too busy to think about it.

You can't even have tobacco on Family Day??:scared:
I would like to say I wont chew after Recruit Training, but theres something inside me that says the first thing I'll do is go to a filling station near by and get a can of chew.
But thats not for another year, Hell, I might quit before then.:D

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 08:31 PM
Youll be thinking about more important things at boot camp. The worst part was seeing Drill Instructors with a chewskie in. Wanna talk about a helpless, heartbroken feeling.

I'd go crazy inside my head, fantasizing about chew, all kinds of chew, nasty chew, good chew, great chew.
My God, that would suck!
DI's actually do that?

Phantom Blooper
12-08-08, 08:44 PM
I'd go crazy inside my head, fantasizing about chew, all kinds of chew, nasty chew, good chew, great chew.
My God, that would suck!
DI's actually do that?

Chew on this...you can't have it while in recruit training. They turned off the smoking lamp years ago. If one day you want the title of United States Marine it is a small price to pay to have that title.

You have a year to make your decision and if you want to chew...after boot camp go for it! While in boot camp you might wish you had a chew...but there will be too many things to take care of than worrying about your habits!

If you wish in one hand and shiat in the other all you realistically have is a shiatty hand.

So deal with it in the long and short run if you honestly want the title of U.S. Marine!:evilgrin:

sparkie
12-08-08, 08:54 PM
So?? The lamp got turned off?? My best times in boot was lightin up 'round the concrete sink. Two weeks dry, then the talk about not smokin, then fall out for a smoke on Sunday afternoons.

Damm good they stopped it,,,,,, Quittin in boot woulda been real easy. Now,,,,, It's a *****.

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 08:57 PM
Chew on this...you can't have it while in recruit training. They turned off the smoking lamp years ago. If one day you want the title of United States Marine it is a small price to pay to have that title.

You have a year to make your decision and if you want to chew...after boot camp go for it! While in boot camp you might wish you had a chew...but there will be too many things to take care of than worrying about your habits!

If you wish in one hand and shiat in the other all you realistically have is a shiatty hand.

So deal with it in the long and short run if you honestly want the title of U.S. Marine!:evilgrin:

Exactly S/SGT. I don't like to complain, but its inevitable.
But chewing will not get in my way, what so ever
I'm trying to work on the addiction.
But then again, actions are louder then words.:D

Smoking Lamp?

Wyoming
12-08-08, 09:05 PM
Exactly S/SGT. I don't like to complain, but its inevitable.
But chewing will not get in my way, what so ever
I'm trying to work on the addiction.
But then again, actions are louder then words.:D

Smoking Lamp?

Looks like a question here. Stand down Marines.

Let the young dipper give us the answer.

Quinbo
12-08-08, 09:08 PM
The only time I thought about copenhagen was on the summit of mt. mother. I was dumb enough to pick up a can the day I graduated though.

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 09:18 PM
Looks like a question here. Stand down Marines.

Let the young dipper give us the answer.

I looked it up.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it a time of day during Recruit Training
that your DI let you smoke?

Phantom Blooper
12-08-08, 09:29 PM
I looked it up.
that your DI let you smoke

You are correct....I knew you had the potential to do things on your own!

It used to be,"The smoking lamp is lit.....ALL smokers got their smokes and went out side and stood around the cement wash rack(Like Sgt. Sparkie said) then the drill instructor would tell you to light them. Before you lit them you would yell,"Sir,the smoking lamp is lit for one cigarette and one cigarette only!"

Right before graduation you might get two!

You would get your fix and head rush and go back to work!:evilgrin:

Wyoming
12-08-08, 09:31 PM
I looked it up.
that your DI let you smoke?

... are you going to answer the question?

Make it a complete and thorough answer!

PaidinBlood
12-08-08, 10:12 PM
Recruit training was pretty much just a hiccup in my dipping pattern. Tossed a can at the USO in SD, and bought a new one the day I graduated. Never crossed my mind unless a DI had one in or I saw an old can. I always treated them like they were booby trapped. (They basically were)

pi 53
12-08-08, 11:05 PM
I figured in this politically correct society it would come to this. In Parris Island 1953 the smoking lamp was lit outside only, I think 4 or 5 times a week. I started smoking at 16 and still smoking at 73. So much for Smoking Kills! I cut down in Infantry Training at Pendleton becuse we run to all the classes. We got 1 pack of cigarettes in our C-rations then also. Camels and Lucky Strike left over from WW2, them bad boys were nasty. They couldn't pull that s*** in that era because the enlistment rate
would drop drastically and the draftees would tell them to go F*** yourself. When I
was in Korea, Chesty Puller said "I want my marines to have beer and cigarettes but
no Pogey Bait". My hero John Wayne will turn over in his grave. Ha HA

sparkie
12-09-08, 07:01 AM
Navy origins, of course,,,,

Smoking Lamp
From the square-rigger days, a lamp from which personnel could light their pipes or cigars.The smoking lamp was a safety measure. It was devised mainly to keep the fire hazard away from highly combustible woodwork and gunpowder. Most navies established regulations restricting smoking to certain areas. Usually, the lamp was located in the forecastle or the area directly surrounding the galley indicting that smoking was permitted in this area. Even after the invention of matches in the 1830s, the lamp was an item of convenience to the smoker. When particularly hazardous operations or work required that smoking be curtailed, the unlighted lamp relayed the message. "The smoking lamp is lighted" or "the smoking lamp is out' were the expressions indicating that smoking was permitted or forbidden.
The smoking lamp has survived only as a figure of speech. When the officer of the deck says "the smoking lamp is out" before drills, refueling or taking ammunition, that is the Navy's way of saying "cease smoking."

sim37
12-09-08, 04:32 PM
I must have smoked at least two packs the day before boot and at the airport. We were all sucking them down because we knew it was goodbye for a while. The first couple of weeks didn't bother me. However, come range time and 3rd phase I could definately feel the itch.

rossmuten
12-11-08, 12:27 AM
Quitting tobacco is hard I still don't care to. I found that if you chew swedish snus that
it virtually wipes any chances of cancer since its better processed. Now thats motivation! Get to enjoy something you love without the side effects.

SlingerDun
12-11-08, 01:19 AM
Next to doing county time where i hear they don't even dole out Bull Durham anymorehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif boot camp is a great opportunity to quit the tobacco for good.

Save yourself thousand of dollars and potential health problems down the road. How much? Vague calculations reveal that i have spent some 11 thousand dollars on tobacco since graduating boot camp:( but zero in the last 6 weeks:cool:

--->Dave

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-11-08, 07:44 AM
The notion that snus is safe is utter BS. That is put out by the companies that make the stuff. Tobacco is dangerous, no matter how it is processed. I say that as I look at the can next to the computer- so I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" just stating a fact.

awbrown1462
12-11-08, 07:59 AM
wow didn't know they couldn't smoke anymore in Boot I remember two lines and one guy with a bucket of water wlaking between us for our butts and ashes

Old Marine
12-11-08, 10:01 AM

A Drill Instructor with a chew in his cheek.....That's BS and you kinow it.

0231Marine
12-11-08, 11:43 AM
We actually had one in our platoon who would do it occasionally. We of course were in no place to tell him he was wrong in doing it but it was only out in the field, not when we were walking around base/drilling/what ever else. Not saying he was right in doing it but I can understand out in the field.

Old Marine
12-11-08, 02:31 PM
If there is a regulation against chewing gum while in uniform, then there sure as hell should be a regulation against a chaw in the cheek. What the hell is the Marine Corps coming to.

SGT7477
12-11-08, 03:17 PM
Alright, I am 17, and I know its bad to use tobacco, but its been sometime when i first started, Ive quit smoking, but I have continued to use chewing tobacco.

My question is
How many Marines on here quit while in DEP, or quit once they left MEPS and to the airport on their way to Recruit Training,
And was it difficult to quit at Recruit Training, or are you doing so much, you just don't think about?

Thanks, Marines.

That's easy, just chew gum.:evilgrin:

oifvet23
12-12-08, 12:39 AM
that first dip i had when i got off parris island almost made me pass out, but don't worry as soon as you get the the fleet you'll be smoking and dipping at the same time with a beer in your hand

CarolinaMarine
12-12-08, 12:30 PM
My God, that would suck!
DI's actually do that?

Yes, my SDI did all the time. In a lot of cases he had to swallow because he couldn't spit. But he definitely had it in his lip.

The place people really get back on it is at MOS school.