PDA

View Full Version : Common Access Cards- CAC cards

Allmarine21
12-08-08, 01:13 PM
Don't post much on here, read the board everyday. I have a concern about the use of Common Access cards (CAC) by civilian personnel that work on government contracts and becuase of this, they get the CAC cards so they can gain access to bases, computers..etc. What I have a problem with is they also use these cards to get military benefits at the stores (Lowes,HomeDepot) that offer the discount. I work for a Defense contractor and know our employees do it, which, I have voiced my opinion to these people but still see them and others using them at checkout time. That's our right as Veteran's and I hate to see it abused. I have gone as far as providing a copy of a real "military, Retired ID card to the local stores around my area, and also a copy of the CAC card that specifically states "Contractor".

Hopefully you all understand this and pay attention to your local stores and the people using these cards for a benefit that they do not deserve.

Gunny

Marine84
12-08-08, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up Gunny.

Wyoming
12-08-08, 08:45 PM
Methinks this is BS. Someone ought to require AD ID cards.

Kim has it right,'Great heads up', but what can be done?

Kegler300
12-09-08, 04:23 AM
CAC cards aren't even accepted as ID on base for retirees when making purchases at the commissary or exchange. Maybe someone should enlighten the Home Depot store manager?

Allmarine21
12-09-08, 09:09 AM
We all can do something about it. I scanned my Retired card, my CAC card, and an active duty members card, a active duty spouse card and an active duty spouse card and passed them out to the local establishments here. Of course removing all personal info. Identified which cards are good and which are not. Just last night, somebody in front of me tried to use their card, I saw it and said something. He was ****ed, but knew not to say nothing.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-08, 09:43 AM
Interesting. On the base I work at, they sure wouldn't let someone even with a federal 'civilian' ID buy a thing at the PX or Commissary.

But, it's just one backlash of the gummint goin to the damn CAC cards to begin with, and requiring the things for EVERYthing.

sdk87to91
12-09-08, 03:59 PM
Give it a few years and they may be able to scan those cards and the puter could tell them whether or not it is valid. some Goverment jobs already require it to log on to their computer.

mgkusmc
12-10-08, 08:10 AM
Honestly off base I dont think there is much we can do about it. If they want to give them the discount they give them the discount. Its just like when I am home on leave, I'll go to get a haircut and wont tell them I'm military but if they ask if I'm military of course I say yes and they instantly give me a discount dont ask to see ID or nothing! It really surprises me.