thedrifter
12-08-08, 08:24 AM
Rallying for Marines at the holidays
By FRANK JULIANO
Staff writer
Connecticut Post Online
Updated:12/07/2008 11:34:49 PM EST

MILFORD -- Always faithful.

That is the meaning of the U.S. Marine Corps motto, "Semper Fi." It also represents the efforts of local groups to honor the Marines and to thank them.

Boy Scout Troop 12, based at St. Agnes Church, filled up the bed of a large pickup truck Thursday with hand lotion, sunscreen, socks, razors, toothbrushes and toothpaste, DVDs, hand-held games, batteries and decks of cards for the U.S. Marines 2nd Battalion, 9th Division in Iraq.

A Milford man, Sgt. Kenneth J. Harrington Jr. -- "Kage" to his friends, including the Woodmont Scouts -- serves with the unit and will receive the packages and distribute them to fellow Marines.

Another Milford man, former Marine Mike Kozlowski, arranged for the donation of a guitar for a Marine injured in Iraq. Kozlowski, the son of former Mayor Edward Kozlowski, rides with the Connecticut Leathernecks, a motorcycle "gang" of retired Marines.

"We take part in the annual Jordan's Ride Home," which honors Jordan C. Pierson of Milford, a U.S. Marine killed in Iraq, "and many other events to support Marines, other veterans and their families," Kozlowski said.

Wanting to do something for a Marine who had been recently deployed in Iraq, the group connected with Operation: Music Aid, a Madison-based group that refurbishes used musical instruments and provides them to injured military personnel as part of their rehabilitation.

"We donated $250 and Music Aid got us a red, white and blue guitar that was all signed, and we brought it down to the U.S. Navy hospital in Bethesda. The Marines are part of the Navy," the Milford man said.

There Kozlowski and Joe Carmody presented the guitar to Sgt. Danny Novoa, 26, who is recovering from serious injuries caused by an improvised explosive device. "He rides cycles, too," the local Leatherneck said of the recipient.

Edward Abbazia, the community services director for Troop 12, said the Boy Scouts and Cubs signed the items in their holiday care packages, and were visited by Joe Harrington, Kage's brother, who spoke to them about the sacrifices a military family makes.

With a $250 donation from the Milford Jaycees to cover the shipping costs, more than 50 large boxes -- more than 1,500 pounds -- of gifts and supplies were sent to the Milford man's unit.

Abbazia said the holiday project fits the Scouting mission, in a small way like the Marines are fulfilling their mission in Iraq.

"In the Boy Scout oath there is a phrase that says, 'On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country,' " the troop leader said. "In Scouting we believe that honoring and assisting the United States Marines or any other unit of the military speaks loudly to this phrase. This is what makes our nation strong even in the rocky economic times."

Mayor James L. Richetelli Jr. said the holiday efforts are typical of Milford residents, particularly at this time of year.

"We've seen time and time again the generosity of the people in Milford, and their support of the military and veterans," Richetelli said.

Ellie