PDA

View Full Version : Infantry life on base

Cisco4711
12-07-08, 05:34 PM
Hello Marines.
All recruiters say that you work only weekdays and get out at 5 or so. But knowing that combat MOS's play alot of war games to stay sharp, what's their schedule like? A recruiter gave me an idea that they go to the field for about 2 weeks and come back and rest for 2 weeks? Is that info accurate, if not please correct. -Good day

PaidinBlood
12-07-08, 06:16 PM
Your recruiter is not a grunt, huh?

ecfree
12-07-08, 06:40 PM
Hey Cisco,back in the day,at Lejune,3/2,we did field prob's for any wheres from 1 week to a month.When we got backthere was no resting.We cleaned our gear and our weapons and that was inspected.In between the gear,weapons and inspection,we had troop n stomp(close order drill) to you.Oh I forgot the PT every morning,and the running......Rest was after lights out..:beer:

Pete0331
12-07-08, 07:42 PM
Hello Marines.
All recruiters say that you work only weekdays and get out at 5 or so. But knowing that combat MOS's play alot of war games to stay sharp, what's their schedule like? A recruiter gave me an idea that they go to the field for about 2 weeks and come back and rest for 2 weeks? Is that info accurate, if not please correct. -Good day

Depends on where your unit is in the training schedule.

Before you start a MEUSOC workup you might get off around 1800 everyday but Thursday.

During a workup you are in the field every other day, if not more.

Range Coach
12-07-08, 09:08 PM
It also depends on what units or operations you are supporting. A typical day on the rifle range was on deck at 0400, rounds down range at first light, walk off the 500 around 1400, police call and working party for at least another hour, formation, dismissal and the chance to be one of the first in line at the chow hall. During the summer months, those of us coaches (PMI's) that were on the shooting team had to start our practice once all the shooters were gone for the day. During the winter month, i.e. shorter days, we practiced on the weekends. When we had Reservist's to qual, it was on Saturday and Sunday---zero dark thirty to about 1800, or later, depending on the number of shooters.

When I was with MWSS-173 (Support Squadron) and a CAX was going on, it was pretty much 24/7 for the duration. It involved things like flightline maintenance, vehicle maintenance/recovery, aircraft refueling, running supplies (beans, bullets and band-aids) and any other task so required. It was really the best of both worlds. We got to do our thing and also got to participate in the training that was going on.

Other than that, well, we had PLENTY of spare time.:beer: