PDA

View Full Version : I remember when: Marines braved the cold

thedrifter
12-07-08, 08:04 AM
I remember when: Marines braved the cold

By staff report

Saturday, December 6, 2008

VERO BEACH — December Korea showed

In late November 1950, the 1st Marine Division was halted in its advance in North Korea. It was surrounded and outnumbered 10 to 1 by Chinese troops. The advancing units pulled back into the town of Hagaru-ri at the south end of the Chosin Reservoir. The Chinese mounted massive assaults every night, attempting to take the town.

Our medical company was given the largest building in town to use as a hospital. It filled rapidly and tents had to be erected to handle the overflow. Within a few days, the number of patients exceeded 800. We had several doctors, but I was the only surgeon. Aided by corpsmen, we did our best, but the task was overwhelming. There were countless wounds of every description, many complicated by cold injuries. Outside temperatures ranged from 25 to 40 below zero. And in parts of the hospital, temperatures were in the freezing range. We lost several patients because IV fluids became slush and would not flow.

The engineers had scraped the frozen ground to make an airstrip. By Dec. 1 it was usable, and patients could be flown out to Japan or to rear areas in Korea. On Dec. 6, the last patients were evacuated. We burned the hospital and started the long walk southward. Ahead of us, Marines were fighting valiantly to make a way through the Chinese forces.

As we walked by the bodies, we could count more Chinese than Marines but it was sad to observe the terrible waste of human life.

Foremost in memory is my eternal gratitude to those brave Marines who made the ultimate sacrifice so some of us might survive. I take great pride in having served with them.

James H Stewart, M.D.

Vero Beach

Ellie