PDA

View Full Version : Avionics or Flight Crew?

Tookie22
12-06-08, 09:23 PM
I know there is a huge difference, but i am stuck between these two jobs. I am lookig for exitement and dont really want to sit behind a desk, and i want to have stories. Which job should I choose?

Wyoming
12-06-08, 11:20 PM
I know there is a huge difference, but i am stuck between these two jobs. I am lookig for exitement and dont really want to sit behind a desk, and i want to have stories. Which job should I choose?

Neither sits behind a desk. Some of my better gunners were Twigets.

Tookie22
12-09-08, 10:54 AM
wat is a twiget?

Wyoming
12-09-08, 11:04 AM
What is a tin-bender?

What is a bubble-chaser?

What is an ordy?

What is a box-kicker?

Etc., etc., etc.

What is wat?

Tookie22
12-09-08, 11:20 AM
i read your crew chief thing. that helped alot. thanks. I signed up for AG but i was told it was closed. I was told i could wait and reapply. what would be my chances being aircrew instead of mechanic? I know its up to the needs of the Corps, but is there a statistic to me being an aerial gunner?

Wyoming
12-09-08, 12:40 PM
i read your crew chief thing. that helped alot. thanks. I signed up for AG but i was told it was closed. I was told i could wait and reapply. what would be my chances being aircrew instead of mechanic? I know its up to the needs of the Corps, but is there a statistic to me being an aerial gunner?

Crew Chief / Mechanic - I believe they are one and the same, or at least it used to be.

Gunner? Dunno. They were assigned daily. All MOS's were able to be gunners.

Ask your recruiter.

NOW -
What is a tin-bender?

What is a bubble-chaser?

What is an ordy?

What is a box-kicker?

Etc., etc., etc.

What is wat?

Tookie22
12-10-08, 10:13 AM
i was asking what was a twiget. but those all are mechanic term right? So there is no MOS to be a gunner?

Wyoming
12-10-08, 08:22 PM
i was asking what was a twiget. but those all are mechanic term right? So there is no MOS to be a gunner?

Ooh, did I just get chastised!!

onux16
02-19-09, 05:39 PM
BigAlHolmes, I gotta be honest. I don't even know what those terms are =P

Back to the topic at hand...
In the golden days of the Corps, you had to be a mechanic first and go through a training and qualification process at your permanent duty station. Nowadays, there is a formal school that allows you to be a crew chief through a training squadron (ie, HMM-164 for the H-46 platform). Avionics is any -and everything- electrical.

I don't know about Avionics, but I guarantee you'll have some great stories being a crew chief.