PDA

View Full Version : Marines appoint King as local recruiter

thedrifter
12-04-08, 08:03 AM
December 4, 2008

Marines appoint King as local recruiter

By Philip Allmen
STAFF WRITER

When asked if he was interested in finding recruits for the U.S Marine Corps, Sgt. Shawn King jumped at the chance. It makes sense. The Marines changed King's way of life. And he wants others to experience the same benefits he did.

Now, King will bring his insight to Novi, recruiting at the Detroit Catholic Central campus.

"I volunteered to be a recruiter because I get to talk about the Marine Corps all day," King said. "It can change your life, like it did for me."

Benefits of joining the Corps, King said, is that it can help individuals learn self-discipline and direction in life. It instills self confidence, as well, he said.

King, based out of Howell, covers Catholic Central, Milford and Lakeland high schools locally, as well as Oakland Community College's Highland Lakes campus.

He started his life in the service at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., and had a number of opportunities to work in logistics, all of which he turned down. Why? He wanted to recruit others to experience the benefits of Marine life.

"You can't sell what you don't believe in," he said. "And it's not a bad route for young kids, especially in this economy.

King is married to Erin and the couple has two children: April and Anna. The family lives in Fenton.

For more information on the U.S. Marine Corps, visit www.marines.com.

To talk to King about the Marines, he can be reached at (517) 546-6542 or at shawn.king@marines.usmc.mil.

Ellie