PDA

View Full Version : About to ship Sunday, few simple questions.

Ace151Slayer
12-03-08, 09:36 PM
Hello Marines, just dep'd in on Monday finally, and feel good about everything. I was scheduled to ship February 23rd 2009.

I got back from meps, and was then back in the recruiters office for a few minutes and then found out someone had an emergency and couldnt ship out this Sunday for boot camp.

I got offered the spot to fill in and took it, because I wanted to step up to the plate and get things rolling.

My question is this, in the welcome aboard package, I know your supposed to study the ranks, and general orders. Now I was in Navy ROTC in highschool for 4 years so I know my general orders slightly still, once I hear the first two or three words, I could recite the rest, but I cant remember what number is what.

Same for the ranks, I know them slightly as well, now how important is it that I still wont know them 100% memorization when I leave here Sunday. Will it get me in a world of hell? Or is it not that big of a deal? Its about the only thing stressing me a bit about boot camp.

Also since Ill be starting out as a PFC from the ROTC experience, will not knowing the general orders and ranks right off the top of my head from day 1 get me demoted possibly?

Any clearing up would be extremely helpful, thank you.

RYDERKUR
12-03-08, 09:39 PM
You're stressing...don't worry about it. No demotions or crazy loops. You're fine and probably ahead of 99% of the recruits with the little bit of knowledge you did retain. Just go with a "can-do" attitude and the rest will fall into place.

Scottie0417
12-03-08, 09:39 PM
As for your questions about the general orders and ranking structure, they pound that information into your brain until it's impossible not to know all of it. You will not be asked any questions of that sort until you actually start training. And as far as being demoted, the only way you could lose a promotion to PFC is if you were going to be meritoriously promoted, did something stupid, and your SDI decided not to give you the promotion. Happened to a few guys in my company. You will not be known as a PFC until you receive your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor...until then, everyone is a recruit. Don't worry about that little stuff just worry about what you need to get done. Good luck

crazymjb
12-03-08, 09:41 PM
Only a handful of recruits in my platoon knew there general orders. It made life a little easier, but it isn't something you should stress over.

Mike

Marine84
12-03-08, 09:57 PM
How about you fill out that profile and introduce yourself.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-03-08, 11:09 PM
I'd suggest knowing a few ranks. The rest of the stuff you can pick up while you're there.

When you address a Drill Instructor you do it in a specific way that means you must know their rank. Thus, you should know the ranks that you may run into. Chances are it will be Sgt, SSgt, and GySgt. If you know that you'll be OK. They'll assume you don't know anything and will teach you everything you need to know.

Ace151Slayer
12-04-08, 03:28 AM
Thank you for the quick responses, the ranks I know fairly well, its the general orders that were still foggy to me which stressed me the most.

I appreciate everyone clearing my concerns up for me.

Cant wait until Sunday now, extremely excited about starting boot camp now that I have nothing to worry about, Ill be sure to check back in come March.

Pete0331
12-04-08, 03:40 AM
Thank you for the quick responses, the ranks I know fairly well, its the general orders that were still foggy to me which stressed me the most.

4 years in NROTC and you are foggy on your General Orders!!??
Just giving you crap.

It's not that big of a deal.

Vintage
12-04-08, 09:20 AM
Just Do It, I Never Knew Jack When I Went In , You'll Figure It Out Or You'll Not Make It!

Maldonado 2060
12-04-08, 09:41 AM
The drill instructors will give you everything you need. I shipped out a little after MEPS just like you and I had no idea about the military I didnt even know we get paid I thought we were all just volunteers serving our country. AAHH! The look on the recruiters face when he informed me was priceless I could almost feel his sorrow that I was in for a world of hurt of course that look left when he told me to go to the car so he can ship me to the beautiful Island

JMartinez
12-04-08, 12:22 PM
Just go for it. Take it one day at a time and adapt, improvise and overcome. Study your knowledge or green monster whatever the D.I.'s tell you to study. Good Luck because you are in for a big surprise!

ForeverChanged
12-04-08, 01:52 PM
As far as ranks, by the time you NEED to know them, you will be reciting them in your head while sleeping. As far as general orders, I recall spending my first few times on firewatch staring at a stanchion that had them taped up screaming them for an hour, then doing about 50 pushups the following morning for the ones I did not know. Trust me on this, scream the friggin' ditties and you'll be good to go.

Actually if there's anything, of all the "pre-bootcamp-knowledge" the only three things you need to succeed are SPEED VOLUME AND INTENSITY. Give the Drill Instructors those three things and they'll still hate you, just not as much.

RYDERKUR
12-04-08, 01:57 PM
As far as ranks, by the time you NEED to know them, you will be reciting them in your head while sleeping. As far as general orders, I recall spending my first few times on firewatch staring at a stanchion that had them taped up screaming them for an hour, then doing about 50 pushups the following morning for the ones I did not know. Trust me on this, scream the friggin' ditties and you'll be good to go.

Actually if there's anything, of all the "pre-bootcamp-knowledge" the only three things you need to succeed are SPEED VOLUME AND INTENSITY. Give the Drill Instructors those three things and they'll still hate you, just not as much.

Hahaha, lmao, that's good **** bro.

P.S. See if a mod can take some time to get that screen name changed. :beer: