PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a true Marine?

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 09:32 PM
This forum is for the "Exchange of ideas and thoughts" so here goes. What does being a Marine mean? If a person serves in the Army for 4 years then joins the Marines for 4 years, serves his time, then goes back to the Army, Navy, or Air Farce for the next 12 years, or longer, and retires from that branch, still a Marine? Or how about this slant, A guy spends 4-7 years in the Marines, then joins a branch of the either Army National Guard, Air National Guard, or Coast Guard till they retire 16 to whatever years later, are they still considered marines? Or are they now just using their prior Marine experience to get access to this site to "f--k with" the Marines? I can understand serving in a different branch for a while, but I was born and spent the first 12 years of my life in Kansas, then move to South Dakota and have been here for the last 39 years. I consider myself a South Dakotan with Kansas ties, not a Kansan. Not trying to start any sheet, just am wandering.

Enigmatic
12-03-08, 09:44 PM
mcvet your post left me more confused than anything else (blame it on my youth) so I'll just say...once a Marine always a Marine?

hrscowboy
12-03-08, 09:44 PM
Yeah your startin sheet, your from the land of OZ, you cant change that no matter how you try hahaha you got a birth certificate that says so..

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 09:51 PM
Not tryin to start anything, but I wander about a persons allegience. Do they still consider themselves a Marine or the other branch? We put down the other branches as less than us. Wouldn't it stand to reason that a Marine who joins another branch and retires as a member of that other branch be now a member of that branch? And if not, do they in their hearts, and soul still believe they are a Marine? Isn't being a Marine an elite brotherhood? This question was asked by my wife who by the way was Army National Guard. She put me on the spot and I need clarification. A person can be democratic and become a communist, so wouldn't it work in this case?

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 09:58 PM
mcvet your post left me more confused than anything else (blame it on my youth) so I'll just say...once a Marine always a Marine?Got ya thinking. That is my objective. SF

RYDERKUR
12-03-08, 09:58 PM
I'd just like to throw this out there....A Marine who served his four and went Army and retired is the Marine I most try to emulate, and to me is the living example of Honor, Courage, and Commitment...Cpl. Blaylock. Cpl. Gonzalez nailed it with our resounding term...Once a Marine, Always a Marine...that's my two cents.

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:02 PM
I'd just like to throw this out there....A Marine who served his four and went Army and retired is the Marine I most try to emulate, and to me is the living example of Honor, Courage, and Commitment...Cpl. Blaylock. Cpl. Gonzalez nailed it with our resounding term...Once a Marine, Always a Marine...that's my two cents.Aw but what about the person who serves as a Marine first but spends the next 10 to whatever years in the Army, Navy etc putting down the Corps is he still a Marine? Wasn't Benedict Arnold an American?

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:04 PM
Wasn't Benedict Arnold an American?

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:06 PM
Every year on or about 10 Nov a small group of us gather and have cake . We are all currently in the AF Reserves and all still consider ourselves Marines still. We ended up serving in the AF for different reasons but we are still serving. Why would I be less of a Marine than someone who got out,got fat and does not serve in the military?

Now having said that if you are out,fat ,and not serving you are still a Marine!

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:09 PM
I have met one Marine in the AFR that put down the Corps ,He was a ****bird and ended up getting kicked out of the AF also.Probablt talks bad about the AF now also.

RYDERKUR
12-03-08, 10:11 PM
Every year on or about 10 Nov a small group of us gather and have cake . We are all currently in the AF Reserves and all still consider ourselves Marines still. We ended up serving in the AF for different reasons but we are still serving. Why would I be less of a Marine than someone who got out,got fat and does not serve in the military?

Now having said that if you are out,fat ,and not serving you are still a Marine!

I think we both missed his point, and correct me if I'm wrong Cpl., when you join another branch, as in the case above, the AFR, you bash the Marine Corps in rivalry terms. My thinking is they would be labeled as that "10%er" who couldn't hack it. They would be considered a ****-bag or what have you, not very honorable, etc...but still a Marine. Good question to contemplate.

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:12 PM

Now having said that if you are out,fat ,and not serving you are still a Marine!That's commendable, but how do the other AF reserve members feel knowing you recognize the Corps as a better unit? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you not feel the former Marines were looking down their noses thinking they are superior? ( we are) But you see my point?

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:21 PM
At work we are both civil service and in the AFR. My Maintenance Chief (e-9) was in the Corps. He is well respected ,having said that we get mixed reactions .Some say we dont want to hear that USMC sh** ,others are impressed .probably 90% of the AF is not worried about what branch is tougher .It is a different atmosphere in the AF .Many times I wish it was more like the Corps.

Maldonado 2060
12-03-08, 10:22 PM
That's commendable, but how do the other AF reserve members feel knowing you recognize the Corps as a better unit? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you not feel the former Marines were looking down their noses thinking they are superior?:flag:( we are):flag::banana: But you see my point?

LOL, MCVET for president. You gotta love Marines.

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:22 PM
My wives exact question was: How can someone spend just a few years in the Marines, then join another service, spend their entire service to retirement in that branch, and still call themselves a Marine? Put me on the spot I might add. Got me thinking, if I spent 4 years driving truck then, 20 years welding, would I be a welder, or a truck driver? One more thought: If I was a Marine for 4 years then moved to France and joined the French foreign Legion for 20 years would I still be considered a Marine?

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:25 PM
There is no comparison .The Marines is a brotherhood as well as a branch of the military. The AF is not .

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:32 PM
I am proud of what I have accomplished in the AF. I have maintained C-130's got them off the ground on time in ****ty conditions . Was activated from 03-05 If you flew on an AF C-130 over there during that time my hands probably have been on it. I will be doing this for 13 more years and retire with about 38 total years of service.

Gunner 0313
12-03-08, 10:39 PM
:flag: I'm pickin up what you're puttin down brother !

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:43 PM
What do you consider a free agent?

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:46 PM
I am proud of what I have accomplished in the AF. I have maintained C-130's got them off the ground on time in ****ty conditions . Was activated from 03-05 If you flew on an AF C-130 over there during that time my hands probably have been on it. I will be doing this for 13 more years and retire with about 38 total years of service.I have no problem with men like you, you have served your country with honor. My problem, propogated by my wife, (love her straigtforwardness) has to do with those who moved to different services, and use their prior Marine experience, although they spent most of their carreer in a lower service, to, now that they are retired, call themselves once more a Marine in heart and soul. Why aren't they bragging up their time as Air Farce, or Army etc etc? My wife sometimes can be such a pain. LOL

Gunner 0313
12-03-08, 10:48 PM
What do you consider a free agent?

:flag: Never understood how someone could go from the Marines to any other branch. I served w/ a guy who did (went to the doggies) and everytime I talked to him, there was regret.

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:51 PM
They all can be probably why I do not have one. My civil service job is tied to my AFR position . I have to maintain my AFR status or I loose my job .If it was not that way I probably would be a Marine Reservist.

mcvet57103
12-03-08, 10:55 PM
They all can be probably why I do not have one. My civil service job is tied to my AFR position . I have to maintain my AFR status or I loose my job .If it was not that way I probably would be a Marine Reservist.HUH???

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:56 PM
Gunner -I do not think like that .had I done thing differently I may have retired from The USMC .I would have been looking for a second carer in my 40's Now I will retire at 56 when the AF forces me out .I work and serve in the town I grew up no regrets .Do I miss the Corps -Yes ! Do you?Do you regret getting out?

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 10:59 PM
HuH =no wife they are a pain!

HUH yes the program I wor in is called ART Air Reserve Technician .Civil service with an AFR requirement .It is like being on an I&I staff.

Gunner 0313
12-03-08, 11:05 PM
Gunner -I do not think like that .had I done thing differently I may have retired from The USMC .I would have been looking for a second carer in my 40's Now I will retire at 56 when the AF forces me out .I work and serve in the town I grew up no regrets .Do I miss the Corps -Yes ! Do you?Do you regret getting out?

:flag: I already lived it and that stays with me forever, just like I will always think like a Marine even though I am no longer serving. I've learned that you can't ever go back in life, you always have to keep moving forward.

mjhpgh
12-03-08, 11:07 PM
Gunner -I feel the same way

Hey I gotta hit the rack its 0006 here and I get up at 0450 .It was good talking with you.
Mike

tripledog
12-04-08, 04:35 PM
I think a lot are missing the part of your wifes question. Yes, once a Marine , always a Marine. However. The scenario you describe, changing services, is to a REAL Marine, is a ****bird, changing his feathers cause they want the easy life. History, and the future, tells the real story. The Marines ARE the greatest fighting entity on earth, do not doubt this.

I think your question or hers, should be. "Are you a REAL Marine if you leave the corps and join the boy scouts? (No but you are still a Marine) Are you a better person, "If you leave the Boy Scouts and join the Marines"? (Yes it shows maturity.)

There are many hundreds of thousand of Marines, but only a short supply of REAL MARINES.

SGT7477
12-04-08, 04:38 PM
Not tryin to start anything, but I wander about a persons allegience. Do they still consider themselves a Marine or the other branch? We put down the other branches as less than us. Wouldn't it stand to reason that a Marine who joins another branch and retires as a member of that other branch be now a member of that branch? And if not, do they in their hearts, and soul still believe they are a Marine? Isn't being a Marine an elite brotherhood? This question was asked by my wife who by the way was Army National Guard. She put me on the spot and I need clarification. A person can be democratic and become a communist, so wouldn't it work in this case?

I couldn't lower myself to wear any other uniform but that's just me.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
12-04-08, 04:40 PM
My wives exact question was: How can someone spend just a few years in the Marines, then join another service, spend their entire service to retirement in that branch, and still call themselves a Marine? Put me on the spot I might add. Got me thinking, if I spent 4 years driving truck then, 20 years welding, would I be a welder, or a truck driver? One more thought: If I was a Marine for 4 years then moved to France and joined the French foreign Legion for 20 years would I still be considered a Marine?

Hell no Brother,lmfao.:flag:

Maldonado 2060
12-04-08, 05:30 PM
I couldn't lower myself to wear any other uniform but that's just me.:evilgrin:

Im with the sargent on this one putting on any other uniform probably will make me feel like a kid with a dirty diaper. Now I believe that as a Marine I fly only one flag under my american flag and the Marine corps is my church my holy thing in life and my bible is the guide book for Marines.I would not go into a different church and praise another god then come back as if this is my only god. Now in the case of having to join the af reserve to hold your job then I can understand going to a different church to socialize not worship But those that know what this brotherhood is and the sacrifice we make for eachother would leave the corps for there own comfort of being able to put out half ass in some other service then come around and talk about they're a Marine then I have some serious problems with them.My profile shows an asshat that Im talking about with the comforts of ourselves over our the corps priority.Now I had some mental problems leading to that dilema but its just an excuse.I will never be able to look a Marine in the eye and tell him with pride Im a marine.Im now a non-hacker that looked for the easy way out just like those that chose another branch to serve in.Im going to re-enlist cause SEMPER FI! is more than a cool phrase for me.

Gunner 0313
12-04-08, 05:42 PM
[quote=Maldonado 2060;419154]Im with the sargent on this one putting on any other uniform probably will make me feel like a kid with a dirty diaper. Now I believe that as a Marine I fly only one flag under my american flag and the Marine corps is my church my holy thing in life and my bible is the guide book for Marines.I would not go into a different church and praise another god then come back as if this is my only god. Now in the case of having to join the af reserve to hold your job then I can understand going to a different church to socialize not worship But those that know what this brotherhood is and the sacrifice we make for eachother would leave the corps for there own comfort of being able to put out half ass in some other service then come around and talk about they're a Marine then I have some serious problems with them.My profile shows an asshat that Im talking about with the comforts of ourselves over our the corps priority.Now I had some mental problems leading to that dilema but its just an excuse.I will never be able to look a Marine in the eye and tell him with pride Im a marine.Im now a non-hacker that looked for the easy way out just like those that chose another branch to serve in.Im going to re-enlist cause SEMPER FI! is more than a cool phrase for me.[/quote

JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS !!!!

Maldonado 2060
12-04-08, 05:48 PM
LOL. No drugs here corporal.

Gunner 0313
12-04-08, 06:04 PM

Good, I thought you might have been on that shi*.

mjhpgh
12-04-08, 07:22 PM
Im with the sargent on this one putting on any other uniform probably will make me feel like a kid with a dirty diaper. Now I believe that as a Marine I fly only one flag under my american flag and the Marine corps is my church my holy thing in life and my bible is the guide book for Marines.I would not go into a different church and praise another god then come back as if this is my only god. Now in the case of having to join the af reserve to hold your job then I can understand going to a different church to socialize not worship But those that know what this brotherhood is and the sacrifice we make for eachother would leave the corps for there own comfort of being able to put out half ass in some other service then come around and talk about they're a Marine then I have some serious problems with them.My profile shows an asshat that Im talking about with the comforts of ourselves over our the corps priority.Now I had some mental problems leading to that dilema but its just an excuse.I will never be able to look a Marine in the eye and tell him with pride Im a marine.Im now a non-hacker that looked for the easy way out just like those that chose another branch to serve in.Im going to re-enlist cause SEMPER FI! is more than a cool phrase for me.

Do not try and make yourself feel better by putting me in with you! In 22 years of service I can count on one hand the number of times I have been late .NEVER UA or AWOL.

First off I was just trying to answer MCVET I could have come on this site and never mentioned any other service than my USMC time .No one would would have thought any different of me.What kind of integrity would that be ?

After being in the Marines I did 5 years Active AF before getting my civil service job.Went to AF Basic Training .

So people (not all) who got out to be a civilian are going to say people like me took the easy way out? I do not have one day break in service from the time I went to Parris Island to today and I will not retire till I am 56(43 years old now).

When I went to the AF I was looking to give them 4 years and learn a trade.Turns out I love serving my country.

I have been activated and deployed and volunteered to deploy many times .Lost a marriage as a result. Just got notice today late next year we will be shipping out.

So who took the easy way out?

sparkie
12-04-08, 07:30 PM
"Now having said that if you are out,fat ,and not serving you are still a Marine!"

I confess,,,,,,, According to this asinine thread,,,, I'm not a Marine.

Phew,,,, I'm relieved,,,, No more pretending,,,,,,,Yellowwing,,,, Ban me please. :iwo:<!-- / message -->

mjhpgh
12-04-08, 07:37 PM
"Now having said that if you are out,fat ,and not serving you are still a Marine!"

I confess,,,,,,, According to this asinine thread,,,, I'm not a Marine.

Phew,,,, I'm relieved,,,, No more pretending,,,,,,,Yellowwing,,,, Ban me please. :iwo:<!-- / message -->

Sparkie that says you still are a Marine. I think you are stuck here !

sparkie
12-04-08, 07:50 PM
DAMM!!!!!!!! You buncha jarheads,,,,,,,,,,,,

Marine84
12-04-08, 08:50 PM

Maybe you should be?

SGT7477
12-04-08, 08:56 PM
DAMM!!!!!!!! You buncha jarheads,,,,,,,,,,,,

You took the hard road Sparkie, Semper FI.:flag:

O.R. Davis
12-04-08, 09:38 PM
I put over 7 yrs. in the Corp's, & 4 yrs. in the National Guard, & 9 yrs. in the Air Force, and retired from the Air Force. Also worked DoD Police for 10 yrs. and worked for the Department of the Army, which I retired from. I was a Marine probably long before Mr. MCVET 57103 got out of 3 cornered pants, and now that I am collecting Social Security and my Civil Service, and my Air Force retirement checks, I'm still a Marine, raised by a Pearl Harbor Survivor Marine which has since died. Point being, as the other brother said: Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

mcvet57103
12-04-08, 09:51 PM
DAMM!!!!!!!! You buncha jarheads,,,,,,,,,,,,Takes one to know one:p

mcvet57103
12-04-08, 09:58 PM
I put over 7 yrs. in the Corp's, & 4 yrs. in the National Guard, & 9 yrs. in the Air Force, and retired from the Air Force. Also worked DoD Police for 10 yrs. and worked for the Department of the Army, which I retired from. I was a Marine probably long before Mr. MCVET 57103 got out of 3 cornered pants, and now that I am collecting Social Security and my Civil Service, and my Air Force retirement checks, I'm still a Marine, raised by a Pearl Harbor Survivor Marine which has since died. Point being, as the other brother said: Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
Amazing to me how my point can get twisted to look bad. What my wife asked is a legit question. If you didn't read the beginning of this thread and all following posts then you haven't taken the time to try to understand the original idea submitted. That makes any post you make substandard at best. Whenever I post a thread I take the time to read ALL the prior posts before I post. I'm not rying to offend anyone, just trying to find a legitimate response to a question asked of me.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-04-08, 11:06 PM
The question isn't legit though. It is simple, if you earned the title of Marine, you are a Marine. Most of us get out after 4 years and go different directions. Some become doctors, some lawyers, some construction workers, and some soldiers. Doesn't matter, if you've earned the right to call yourself a Marine, you're a Marine for life.

If someone spends 4 years in the Corps, gets out, becomes an Army Officer and rises to the top and becomes a General in the Army, he's still a Marine- simple as that.

mjhpgh
12-05-08, 04:12 AM
Mcvet -I never took offense with you or the question you put forth.

jawhed
12-05-08, 05:21 AM
anyone can join army, navy,air force. but for the marines all can apply but all dont qualify! and if you have made it 13 weeks of boot camp and four weeks of ITR you are MARINE and nothing less!

mcvet57103
12-05-08, 06:14 AM
The question isn't legit though. It is simple, if you earned the title of Marine, you are a Marine. Most of us get out after 4 years and go different directions. Some become doctors, some lawyers, some construction workers, and some soldiers. Doesn't matter, if you've earned the right to call yourself a Marine, you're a Marine for life.

If someone spends 4 years in the Corps, gets out, becomes an Army Officer and rises to the top and becomes a General in the Army, he's still a Marine- simple as that.I like your reasoning. The other branches are just a job, is that your point? But one could argue that if you exit the Corps, wear it's symbols on clothing, vehicles etc etc and commit a act unworthy of honor, are you still a Marine? How about the sh-tbags who murdered the Sgt and his wife in California? Are they still Marines? Just wandering if there is any stipulations on keeping the title?

sparkie
12-05-08, 06:16 AM
I would have to think It's a matter of where you place your loyality.

mcvet57103
12-05-08, 06:22 AM
Mcvet -I never took offense with you or the question you put forth.It seems some have though. Or maybe I'm hallucinating again.:nerd:

mcvet57103
12-05-08, 06:23 AM
I would have to think It's a matter of where you place your loyality.That's what I was thinking also.

Maldonado 2060
12-05-08, 07:15 AM
I would have to think It's a matter of where you place your loyality.

Let me be a little more clear. CORE VALUES. If you still live by that code and work at Mcdonalds then I would consider that a Marine. IF a Marine served the corps then moved on to anything else in life as long as he is trying to do it to the best that he knows how applying his core values will forever hold that title. In my eyes those gentlemen that killed there sgt. are not marines they've completely ignored there core values If they even absorbed It in boot.

temarti
12-05-08, 07:42 AM
Are they still Marines?

There are good Marines and there are bad Marines, unfortuantly, these ****birds are still Marines.

NoRemorse
12-05-08, 07:53 AM
It's been said before; that's not a legit question.

Anything else is a job; Marines are breed apart. Real Marines will find themselves leading from the front. ****birds don't lead from the front: they get their brothers in green killed.

Semper Fi, Godspeed and God Bless.

CH53MetalMan
12-05-08, 08:14 AM
The question for Marines, of what constitutes "A Marine" other that having graduated from a Parade Deck at either MCRD, is an exteremly 'subjective' question. It is a question of 'judgement' - - we judge one another, it's instinctive.

We all knew many fellow Marines that we didn't think much of, and wondered why they weren't weeded out in boot camp. And then again, other Marines have sometimes wondered if we were really cut-out for the Corps.

It would be better if we didn't judge one another, but the Title of Marine is held to a very high standard, and we don't appericate it when our collective image is tarnished.

As a side note ( I need to be careful here, or I'll tick-off many of you ) the element of attitude or alpha male syndrome runs high in the Corps while modesty & acceptance have always been in short supply. I'll leave it at that, but you should be able to catch my drift.

GREENMARINE
12-05-08, 08:31 AM
I Was Honorably Discharged In 1980 With A Good Conduct Medal , Rifle Expert 3rd Award , Meritorious Mast, Meritorious Promotion And The Proud Title Of Marine, I Worked And Trained Hard To Earn That...

temarti
12-05-08, 09:05 AM
It's One Of The Main Things In My Life That I Am Proud Of.... Nobody's Taking That Away From Me ! Semper Fi Brothers !<!-- / message -->

Ooh Rah!!

Gunner 0313
12-05-08, 10:03 AM
The question for Marines, of what constitutes "A Marine" other that having graduated from a Parade Deck at either MCRD, is an exteremly 'subjective' question. It is a question of 'judgement' - - we judge one another, it's instinctive.

We all knew many fellow Marines that we didn't think much of, and wondered why they weren't weeded out in boot camp. And then again, other Marines have sometimes wondered if we were really cut-out for the Corps.

It would be better if we didn't judge one another, but the Title of Marine is held to a very high standard, and we don't appericate it when our collective image is tarnished.

As a side note ( I need to be careful here, or I'll tick-off many of you ) the element of attitude or alpha male syndrome runs high in the Corps while modesty & acceptance have always been in short supply. I'll leave it at that, but you should be able to catch my drift.

:flag: I agree. No offense to you CH53, but why do people feel the need to be PC on this site? Of all places I thought you could let shi* fly on here.

mjhpgh
12-05-08, 06:16 PM
I like your reasoning. The other branches are just a job, is that your point? But one could argue that if you exit the Corps, wear it's symbols on clothing, vehicles etc etc and commit a act unworthy of honor, are you still a Marine? How about the sh-tbags who murdered the Sgt and his wife in California? Are they still Marines? Just wandering if there is any stipulations on keeping the title?

To me that is a different issue . Like is Lee Harvey Oswald still considered one of us? John Murtha retired as a Col.after what he said is he still a Marine? I was asked this about Murtha by someone .I replied that he is still a Marine ,but I would not shake his hand or speak to him.

Can the CMC excommunicate someone so to speak?

mjhpgh
12-05-08, 06:21 PM
Let me be a little more clear. CORE VALUES. If you still live by that code and work at Mcdonalds then I would consider that a Marine. IF a Marine served the corps then moved on to anything else in life as long as he is trying to do it to the best that he knows how applying his core values will forever hold that title. In my eyes those gentlemen that killed there sgt. are not marines they've completely ignored there core values If they even absorbed It in boot.

Sorry but I am not buying your speech on CORE VALUES with what it says in your profile ......Its kinda like OJ's Book If I did it.

echo3oscar1833
12-05-08, 06:37 PM
This forum is for the "Exchange of ideas and thoughts" so here goes. What does being a Marine mean? If a person serves in the Army for 4 years then joins the Marines for 4 years, serves his time, then goes back to the Army, Navy, or Air Farce for the next 12 years, or longer, and retires from that branch, still a Marine? Or how about this slant, A guy spends 4-7 years in the Marines, then joins a branch of the either Army National Guard, Air National Guard, or Coast Guard till they retire 16 to whatever years later, are they still considered marines? Or are they now just using their prior Marine experience to get access to this site to "f--k with" the Marines? I can understand serving in a different branch for a while, but I was born and spent the first 12 years of my life in Kansas, then move to South Dakota and have been here for the last 39 years. I consider myself a South Dakotan with Kansas ties, not a Kansan. Not trying to start any sheet, just am wandering.

Here is my view, I consider it simple, yet some might think its debatable. However I consider everyone that has gone to San Diego, or Paris Island, and went through bootcamp, and worked as hard as everyone else, and graduated. In my view they earned the title just as much as anyone else of us did. They are Marines, they may be prior Army, Navy, Airforce, etc. But once they put on the Marine Uniform they are a Marine. As far as a Marine going to another branch of service from the Marines. In my opinion they are still Marines, even though there current status is Soldier, Sailor, Airman, etc. But in general even though a Marine does go to another branch, they still earned the title as Marine. I feel that us as Marines asking if another person is a Marine or not when they earned the title like the rest of us, is questioning our own belief of "Once a Marine Always a Marine". Im not saying that anyone is intentionally doing it. In my opinion I believe that it is commendable to serve in multiple branches of the military. On that note if I was out an public, and came across another person who was in another branch and they had served in the Marine Corps I would treat them as I would any of my other brothers from the Marine Corps. Agian this is just my opinion take it as you want to.:usmc:

SgtDBrownRet
12-05-08, 08:46 PM
Not one person that changed teams can honestly say they did not take something of the Marine Corps with them to that new branch. As long as you did not get a Big Chicken Dinner or Dishonorable, then you are a Marine. What you do after that is just filler time until they plant you in the ground, or throw your ashes in the wind. :flag:

mcvet57103
12-05-08, 11:06 PM
Here is my view, I consider it simple, yet some might think its debatable. However I consider everyone that has gone to San Diego, or Paris Island, and went through bootcamp, and worked as hard as everyone else, and graduated. In my view they earned the title just as much as anyone else of us did. They are Marines, they may be prior Army, Navy, Airforce, etc. But once they put on the Marine Uniform they are a Marine. As far as a Marine going to another branch of service from the Marines. In my opinion they are still Marines, even though there current status is Soldier, Sailor, Airman, etc. But in general even though a Marine does go to another branch, they still earned the title as Marine. I feel that us as Marines asking if another person is a Marine or not when they earned the title like the rest of us, is questioning our own belief of "Once a Marine Always a Marine". Im not saying that anyone is intentionally doing it. In my opinion I believe that it is commendable to serve in multiple branches of the military. On that note if I was out an public, and came across another person who was in another branch and they had served in the Marine Corps I would treat them as I would any of my other brothers from the Marine Corps. Agian this is just my opinion take it as you want to.:usmc:Mystep-son who has the title of SSgt in the army, did not ask for his three purple hearts. But he sacrificed (vountarily, 4th tour) as Army to defend his country. Now, I am a Marine, but should I deny his dedication simply because he isn't a Marine? I would argue that to give all, reguardless of branch of service makes you an American. (AMERICAN) Not Afican American, or Scotish American etc etc, but simply an American. And by that argument, you have the same dedication to this country as all Marines have. He might not be a Marine by definition, but he, and all who have been wounded, or given their lives, have shown the espirit de corps to earn the respect of the Jarheads who post on this site. The purpose of this thread was to make, we as Marines, think. I have accomplished my mission. We are the finest, but never forget those who have given their hearts and in some cases their lives, no matter the branch, to this country. SF

HurricaneRJ
12-05-08, 11:07 PM
In the Army, their brotherhood is found in their first "division" there stationed with, not the Army itself. The Army doesn't have that "esprit de corps" as we have.

My oldest brother was with the 75th Ranger Regiment, and he later served in the SF and then a regular Army unit, but he will let no man or Marine for that fact tell him he is just an ordinary solider. He still wears his Ranger t-shirt around, even after getting out in 2000. Been to two other units and still calls himself a Ranger.

Now that he if he joins the AF, USN, or Marines, is he still a Ranger?

I know a Marine who was prior Army, and he hates the Corps, he doesn't down us, but he is not one of us. He claims to be a soldier who joined the Corps. He came here for a job and nothing more, now he is a Marine because he is currently serving, but when he gets out. I'll doubt he'll claim he was a Marine. But since he was first Army and then a Marine. Will youcall him a Marine?

The question you asking is a tricky one. It's can only be answered on one's belief, there is no definite answer. You believe what you want to believe, it's up to you be a Marine, no one else. On the other hand, no matter how long you got out the Corps, to the world your a Marine, so pretty much, your stuck love it or not.

Shooter
12-06-08, 12:01 AM
Proud to be a Marine, have been since MCRD, have been since I got out. Still consider myself a Marine and my brothers I ride with are still Marines even though we are getting way older every year and kid each other about who has the title of oldest Marine at the birthday every year. God Bless my fallen Brothers who I have known and those who I did not have the honor of meeting. Semper Fi Brothers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

echo3oscar1833
12-06-08, 01:36 AM
Mystep-son who has the title of SSgt in the army, did not ask for his three purple hearts. But he sacrificed (vountarily, 4th tour) as Army to defend his country. Now, I am a Marine, but should I deny his dedication simply because he isn't a Marine? I would argue that to give all, reguardless of branch of service makes you an American. (AMERICAN) Not Afican American, or Scotish American etc etc, but simply an American. And by that argument, you have the same dedication to this country as all Marines have. He might not be a Marine by definition, but he, and all who have been wounded, or given their lives, have shown the espirit de corps to earn the respect of the Jarheads who post on this site. The purpose of this thread was to make, we as Marines, think. I have accomplished my mission. We are the finest, but never forget those who have given their hearts and in some cases their lives, no matter the branch, to this country. SF

Semper Fi Marine, and on that note we are all Marines who have worn the uniform past, present and future. No matter what, we all earned that Eagle Globe and Anchor. On that not I would agree that this should be the end of this thread. As we should not argue that those that have earned and worn the Eagle Globe and Anchor are Marines or Not. Agian this is my opinion, Semper Fi!!!!!!!:usmc:

usmcmech02
12-06-08, 06:03 AM
i dont know according to chesty puller your not even a real marine until youve been NJPed three times and divorced twice....but seriously i think when it comes to branch hopping its all where your heart lies... for example i got out of the marine corp in 2006 and joined the army...i have been kicking myself in the ass ever since then and i have been trying to find a recruiter that will work with me on coming back into the corp ( by the way if any of you are recruiters HELP)

SGT7477
12-06-08, 12:14 PM
I've been a Marine since 1974 and wear my stripes everyday, OOHRAH.