PDA

View Full Version : It's a long story BUT here goes...

Corndog
12-03-08, 08:31 PM
I just got discharged from bootcamp last Tuesday because I had injured my hip. I was on Parris Island for 159 days. I can re-enlist in 6 months, and I don't know if I should or not...I want to in a...

Enigmatic
12-03-08, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Amanda. I can understand your fear of getting hurt again but my advice is if you're still wanting to be in the military, try to stick it out in the Marines and give it another go, once you're 100% healthy. If you join any other branch of service you might regret it everyday, but you won't ever regret earning that EGA....like Yellowwing always says, "Never quit!"

Big Jim
12-03-08, 08:49 PM
Don't give up on earning that title...NEVER QUIT...! Think about it like this....when you go back you'll have a headstart on every other recruit there cause you've already done it...and this...

RYDERKUR
12-03-08, 08:53 PM
If those two motivated NCO's didn't nudge you in the right direction, I don't know what will. You initially shipped for a reason....to be a U.S. Marine, you're only quitting on yourself because you already set your goal high. Go for it!!!!

Scottie0417
12-03-08, 09:15 PM
No matter what you choose in the end, what matters is that you took the oath of enlistment that only 2% of the American population is willing to do. Be proud of yourself no matter what happens, you did something millions wouldn't do

crazymjb
12-03-08, 09:39 PM
One of our squad leaders, our best in my opinion (all the recruits actually liked him), was known as "6 weeks." He had been discharged 6 months prior to when he was there. He went back and while he...

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-03-08, 11:13 PM
In all honesty, it is a decision only you can make. You know what is expected of a recruit. You know you can make it through the process, only an injury stopped you this time. That means you have an advantage over other potential recruits, but it is also a drawback. You know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

In all honesty I don't know if I could have done it. Having been there once your perspective will be different. You know things that a new recruit simply shouldn't know. That may make you less motivated at some points.

That said, I think every one of us here really hopes you'll decide to give it another shot. Earning the Title of Marine is something that can never be taken away from you. None of the Marines here would trade it for the world. Sadly that is the one thing you never got to do.

yellowwing
12-04-08, 12:33 AM
Amanda, you have six months to contemplate and feel out where you want to go with it. For me, what I got out of the Marine Corps would be worth it. I wouldn't like it but I'd do it. The real Pride and Accomplishment is only part of it, its also the kindred spirit we feel for all Marines Past Present and Future.

Sure you can join another Service. The biggest difference is that Every Marine is a Rifleman (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GecQy2SorHU). Check it out.

Rowe907
12-04-08, 01:12 PM
Did you the the letter I sent? Please dont be too hasty to decide. I dont blame you ONE BIT for not wanting to go back there. But believe me when I say the feeling of standing on that parade deck with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor in you hand makes everything worth it. Even more so in your case. MRP must have been hell.

Let me fill you in on a little story. This isnt to make you feel guilty for not wanting to go back or anything, but I want to bring to the light how much dedication this individual had in him..... Recruit Travis was with my platoon from receiving. Right off the bat, we were buddies. I soon found out that he had been there before. He was on the Depot 3 years beforehand. He made it through 2nd phase. Then he learned that he had a brain tumor. Spent a month in MRP and left the day his company started the Crucible. 3 years later he came back. He got heat stroke and went down during Table 1. After a weeks stay in the hospital, he was back to training. I dont want to know how many silver bullets he took. The docs wanted to drop him, the only thing that kept him in training was the company commander and a few other officers vouching for him and fighting tooth and nail to keep him there. The only thing that kept him going was earning the title of Marine. This is the shortened version of PFC Travis's story. You get the gist of it.

Dont be to quick to make judgements. Enjoy time sitting on the couch. Go watch an OU game. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. You have the heart to become one of the Few.

SlingerDun
12-04-08, 06:06 PM
...I want to in a way, but at the same time I am nervous that I'll just end up getting hurt again...Have another go at it and don't loose sleep over potential injury's, all that worrying amounts to nothing more than stomach ulcers and missed opportunity. My joints and spinal column will never forgive me for the abuse i've heaped on them but meanwhile i've managed to live some!:cool:
I would rather not go through that again....When a senior citizen cracks a hip it's time to quit downhill skiing and take up snow shoeing and ornithology.

SGT7477
12-04-08, 09:02 PM
Go back and earn Our Title, you'll be glad you did when they hand you that EGA it will stick with you forever, ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE, NEVER QUIT,SEMPER FI.:flag:

Wyoming
12-04-08, 10:12 PM
Iffen you ain't motivated by now, you never will be.

Here's the deal, you got 6 months to get yourself ready, and as you know, hopefully, what caused the hip injury, you can work to get around the issue.

Don't let those 10%ers you bunked with make you change your mind.

Be a Marine.