PDA

View Full Version : Reserve or Active duty?

inf2nd
12-03-08, 07:59 PM
I am trying to decide which one to do. I go tuesday to MEPS so i need to decide soon. Any little bit of advice will help!

BassMasterBling
12-03-08, 09:06 PM
I am only a POOLEE but i think that going active shows more dedication. but i mean it depends what your plans are.

college right away?
if not then i would say active

and this thread should probably be in the pool(ee) hall

Scottie0417
12-03-08, 09:47 PM
I am only a POOLEE but i think that going active shows more dedication.

How does going active show more dedication to the Marine Corps? I hope you are aware that Reserve units deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan just like Active units do and they see combat too. No matter if we're active or reservists, we're all Marines and that's all that matters. Besides, what do you know, you're a Poolee...you have no knowledge of how the Marine Corps is. Us reservists go to the same boot camp as actives and we fight the same wars :evilgrin:

polizei
12-03-08, 11:04 PM
Honestly, it's a decision that YOU and only YOU can make. I signed for Reserve because I'm currently in college, and want to finish so I can live out my dream of becoming a police officer in a few years. I need to finish college before I can go to the police academy.

Also, my whole family lives right around me, I have a girlfriend, a loving family, and a job I don't want to give up, so I chose the reserves. In my opinion Reservist are still Marines, they still drill, they still fight, and they still go through the same boot camp!

degenerate138
12-03-08, 11:08 PM
Up to you man. Do you want to go away from home for 4 years and go on to adventure? Or would you rather stay home with your family, where you have a pretty solid job and/or you are going to college?

It's your choice, and once you go to boot camp, you'll have to live with that choice.

Good luck.

UsmcMotorT
12-04-08, 11:53 AM
Being a reservist shows more dedication. To both the Corps and to your civilian life.

Being a reservist isn't easy.

Scottie0417
12-04-08, 04:48 PM
Being a reservist isn't easy.

You hit the nail on the head. I go to school 5 days a week full time. The weekend is the only break that I get and sometimes my whole weekend is spent drilling. I see lots of guys that are in college that have to bring their books to drill so they can study for exams. It's tough balancing school with the Marine Corps even though it is only once a month. Imagine having a full time job working 40+ hours a week...then imagine working toward the weekend where you can relax with your family but instead having to wake up at 0400 all weekend to drill. Now I don't know how anyone can say that active duty shows more dedication. The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Conway himself, said that being a reservist is the hardest thing to do. I heard him say it at our Marine Corps Ball that he could not be able to live a civilian life and then have to sacrifice free time to the Marines and that he respects us all for being able to do it. Hopefully this might change some poolees minds on their idea of dedication...

lagrand
12-04-08, 06:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, and I'm sure Inf2nd may like to hear it also, what are the major differences in benefits besides pay?

inf2nd
12-05-08, 08:21 PM
I like the idea of the reserves because I get to keep my current 40 hr job that ive had for 4 years. I guess I was more concerned about the dedication level some people would look at. Yall made some good points and gives me some things to think about.

sparkie
12-05-08, 08:42 PM
Dedication level??????? Reserves die too.

MLMonk
12-05-08, 09:59 PM
I chose reservist not really thinking about it and listening to my mom, so I am trying to switch active. Since I all ways look at the positive side of things, I didn't mind this decision because my reserve job is Vehicle Recovery Operator, so after all that training I can be an active duty wrecker operator. The reason I don't want reserves is because I have to find a civilian job, and ironically I am too lazy to keep a job like that. My mind thinks weird some times I guess.

So there's my story, now use that as an example and take it as advice on what your plans really should be.

rut4256
12-06-08, 08:39 PM
Come on guys, we are all Marines, Active or Reservists.

rut4256
12-06-08, 08:42 PM
Being a reservist shows more dedication.

Come on buddy, that is just a stupid comment. Neither one shows more dedication. They are BOTH Marines.

Now for the sake of an arguement, you are telling me that someone who wears a military uniform 2 days a month & 2 weeks a year (not in war), that a Reservist is more dedicated than a guy who wears the uniform at least 5 days a week, unlimited hours a day, 365 days a year? You must have hit your head someone in that "civilian" world. No offense.

inf2nd
12-06-08, 09:11 PM
Yes BOTH are Marines. I agree. I have decided I will start with reserves and if I get interested I will try to go active. But, I am getting a little nervous about boot camp worrying about my physical abilities. Im a thin guy, pretty healthy i suppose, other than smoking. Im just curious if im gonna be able to cut it. is it safe to say that they are patient with you to get to the peak of performance or do they expect it from you day 1?

rut4256
12-06-08, 09:17 PM
Expect the sh*t to hit the fan on day one. Don't worry though, do what you are told and do it the best you can, and you will do fine.

inf2nd
12-07-08, 11:47 AM
Ok thats good. thank for all the good advice guys

mchngnnrusmc
12-15-08, 10:47 AM
Just remember it is all a mind game the physical part will come to you and you will do it just like you do anything else from day to day. Stay strong and do what you are told when you are told and you will have no trouble....

Semper Fi

RBags
12-30-08, 12:41 AM
If this were peacetime I'd say go reserves. Since it is wartime it doesn't matter a whole lot, you're going to Iraq or Afgan either way. Do yourself a favor, whatever you do, work your recruiter big time. Get the most out of him, NEGOTIATE. Don't roll over for him. He wants you to enlist, get the bonuses, duty station whatever you can from him. MAKE HIM SWEAT, you come out the winner.

RBags
12-30-08, 12:43 AM
If this were peacetime I'd say go reserves. Since it is wartime it doesn't matter a whole lot, you're going to Iraq or Afgan either way. Do yourself a favor, whatever you do, work your recruiter big time. Get the most out of him, NEGOTIATE. Don't roll over for him. He wants you to enlist, get the bonuses, duty station whatever you can from him. MAKE HIM SWEAT, you come out the winner.2