PDA

View Full Version : Quick question involving artillery...

codeman92190
12-03-08, 07:26 PM
Good afternoon Marines,

I was hoping that I could get a question of mine answered by those in the know, because I seem to be reading and hearing different things every time I look this up.

Anyway, I was wondering whether artillery (0800), as a combat MOS, goes through SOI or MCT after boot.

Also, as a related question I guess, I've read a lot about artillery units shipping out without their guns and being attached to infantry or MP units... so in this case do they recieve any additional training before they leave or are they considered good to go?

Thank you.

- Poolee Wiles

Enigmatic
12-03-08, 07:44 PM
Though Artillery IS a combat-arms MOS, only Infantry goes through SOI after boot.

RYDERKUR
12-03-08, 08:48 PM
Get in contact with Sgt. Rivllac (sp?)

rvillac2
12-03-08, 10:29 PM
Oohrah...Arty.

SOI is only for 03xx. There's no ambiguity there.
You will go to MCT and then wonderful Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.

Whenever your unit deploys, it will go through a training cycle for the missions it will deploy for. If the mission is anything other than artillery, you will get worked up with those skills. Arty units have gone in without their guns in company size detachments but I am unaware of entire BNs going in like that. The common missions are detainment, base security and convoy security. The arty guys that I knew that went that way claimed they were simply IED detectors.

Whizdumb
12-04-08, 04:32 PM
Good afternoon Marines,

I was hoping that I could get a question of mine answered by those in the know, because I seem to be reading and hearing different things every time I look this up.

Anyway, I was wondering whether artillery (0800), as a combat MOS, goes through SOI or MCT after boot.

Also, as a related question I guess, I've read a lot about artillery units shipping out without their guns and being attached to infantry or MP units... so in this case do they recieve any additional training before they leave or are they considered good to go?

Thank you.

- Poolee Wiles

Listen up Killer,

SOI is for infantry and non-infantry Marines. Within SOI there are 2 battalions, ITB and MCT. Only Marines entering the 03XX field will recieve ITB training, all other MOS's, whether or not they are combat-arms, will recieve MCT training. If you are located on the east coast you may see me in your future as I am a Combat Instructor at MCT.