PDA

View Full Version : Douglas ends tour flying helicopters for the President with ceremony

thedrifter
12-03-08, 08:20 AM
Douglas ends tour flying helicopters for the President with ceremony

By Tracy Blake
Cresco Times-Plain Dealer
Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:52 AM CST

Cresco, Iowa -

Their son is part of the few, the proud, the Marines, and for Duane and Brenda Douglas their pride was even more evident in the smiles on their faces when they were standing alongside their son Major Steven Douglas and President George W. Bush.
The Cresco couple had the opportunity to meet the President on June 29 when they visited Major Douglas during a ceremony, which also marked the end of his tour of flying HMX1 helicopters for the President.
“Steven is a very modest kid. He doesn’t tell people what he does. He believes it is just part of doing his job, but we brag on him all the time.” Brenda said.
Major Douglas went into the service right after graduating from Cresco High School in 1991.
“He left for boot camp the very next day,” Brenda recalled.
He first signed up in the Marine Reserves and went to Iowa State University in Ames, graduating from college in 1996. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant and went full time active duty. He is now stationed at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Calif.
Major Douglas has served two tours in Iraq during his military career, and four years ago, he had the privilege of being assigned to The White House with HMX1 Squadron.
“It’s quite an honor. You have to be nominated by your peers and go through an application process,” Duane said.
“Then the family has to go through a background check,” Brenda added.
During his tour of duty at The White House, Major Douglas had the opportunity to pilot the “White Top” helicopter for President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other dignitaries. Brenda said he flew the President to Camp David and to his ranch in Texas.
“When they fly the President, there are alway three of them so no one knows which one the President is in,” Brenda said.
She said they have double-wide trailers for the service men to stay in while they are at the ranch.
“He really enjoyed it,” Brenda added.
Major Douglas is now taking classes and studying to become a Colonel.
“He says he is going to stay in as long as he is having fun,” Duane said.
Brenda and Duane joined other family members and military personnel for the ceremony at The White House. Because space was limited, Duane was the one who went into the Oval Office with his son to meet President Bush and have their picture taken with him.
It was very exciting for a small town Iowa couple who hails from the Protivin area. Duane has worked for TriMark for 30 years.
“It’s not everyday you get to have your picture taken with the President,” Brenda said.
“I wasn’t even nervous. It was really great. He shook my hand, and he talked to you like he knew you for years,” Duane said.
Brenda got her chance to meet President Bush outside when the Commander and Chief landed in the White Top on the South Lawn.
“I reached out and told him I was from Iowa. He had just been to Iowa during the floods, so I mentioned where I was from. He was very nice and took his time greeting people. He didn’t act like he was in a big hurry,” Brenda said. “It was a great opportunity. We are very proud of our son.”
Duane is also a veteran. He spent four years as a Marine, with 26 months of that time in Vietnam. The couple have two other sons who served in the military – Duane Jr. had four years with the Marines and four years with the Army, and Michael served four years in the Marines. They also have three other children, Adam, Belinda and Sarah.

Ellie