PDA

View Full Version : Iowans anticipate opening of Marine Corps Museum

thedrifter
12-03-08, 08:17 AM
Iowans anticipate opening of Marine Corps Museum
By MARY LOUISE SPEER

Quad-City Times

DAVENPORT -- Rod Mooney is making the most of a little space.

His collection of military memorabilia fills a former office at the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Training Center on Arsenal Island, Rock Island, and flows out into the hallway in glass cases.

The collection could expand to fill the entire center, he said.

Mooney, of Bettendorf and a Marine from 1952-94, looks forward to seeing the new U.S. Marine Corps Museum dedicated on Dec. 7, which marks the 67th anniversary of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Mooney embarked on a quest to preserve the Corps' local history in May 2007 and was sidelined for a few months while recovering from surgery. Since earlier this year, he has been determined to perfect his tribute to U.S. Marines.

"I think this is it. If it grows, we'll make the necessary accommodations," said Capt. Frank Brown of the Reserve Center at the Arsenal.

Every donation of photos, medals, uniforms, gear and flags is prized, both for the memories embedded in it and as visual reminders of those hazardous tours of duty, Mooney said.

"I was a kid in World War II, and I remember when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and what people went through," he said.

A display of unopened cans of chocolate nut rolls and cocoa beverage powder, a boxed meal of beans with meatballs and more fill Mooney's collection of food rations. Sometimes, Marines scrambled eggs and sausage on vehicle manifolds, he said.

"You couldn't hardly stand the smell," he said.

Another display highlights the 269 women who served in clerical positions during World War I, thus freeing male Marines to go to France.

Craig Borchers of Big Rock, Iowa, donated photographs that illustrate duties performed by U.S. Marines of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Ellie