PDA

View Full Version : Top Marines visit Camp Pendleton

thedrifter
12-03-08, 07:51 AM
Top Marines visit Camp Pendleton
Written by Cpl. Cindy G. Alejandrez

Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps and Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent sergeant major of the Marine Corps visited, Camp Pendleton, Nov. 19 and 20.
During the visit, Conway and Kent addressed current Marine Corps affairs and listened to the concerns of Marines, sailors and their families.
During their first day on the installation Conway and Kent toured the new Single Marine Program Facility at Camp Del Mar and enjoyed a meal with the Marines at the 21 Area Mess Hall. Cpl. Elizabeth Carbajal, radio operator, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit sat next to Conway during lunch. She said she was nervous at first but after the CMC and SMMC walked around the table to shake the Marines’ hands, she felt at ease.

“The commandant was very open to our thoughts and asked us what we thought should change,” said Carbajal, who learned the new physical training uniforms are going to be issued to Marines. “He is very concerned about the Marines and what we go through.”

After lunch, Conway and Kent toured the Combat Convoy Simulator at Camp Las Pulgas and met with Marines from Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment.

After the CCS, a stop at the new four-story barracks at Camp Horno, in which Marines from 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment reside, was next. While touring the “best in the breed” barracks, Conway and Kent toured Sgt. Robert T. Friel’s room.

“They asked me how I liked the barracks and how it was comparable to other barracks I have lived in,” said Friel, platoon sergeant, headquarters platoon, Weapons Company. “During the visit (SMMC) got a kick out of the (Marine Corps emblem) ironed on my toilet paper.”

Conway and Kent then went to the School of Infantry. Before a formation, they thanked the eight Marines from Company B, Infantry Training Battalion who alerted and helped guests flee during a fire at an inn, in Lake Forest, after one of the Marines discovered the flames.
“Thank you for doing the right thing at the right time,” said Conway.

The CMC and SMMC then met with Marines and sailors from the SOI-W, where he was greeted by the Marines and sailors in mass formation.
The next day they also met with Marines at Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton, and at the 11 Area Football Field to speak and answer questions.

Lance Cpl. Juan Sanchez Miranda, integrated personnel administration center clerk, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton asked the commandant for a change in Marine Administrative Message 115/07 to permit Marines in base or station units to deploy, including himself.

“I asked because I have been in for three years and have not deployed,” said Sanchez Miranda, from Los Angeles.

Sanchez Miranda said he enlisted to deploy and although he was nervous to ask the question, he was glad he did because the commandant assured him he would deploy by the end of this year.

During the formations, Conway and Kent not only answered Marines and sailors’ questions but also asked noncommissioned officers to continue to look after junior Marines.

“NCO’s, you are the backbone of our Marine Corps and we need your help for two things - safety and suicide awareness,” said Kent.
Kent asked all NCO’s to take a stronger role in helping prevent motorcycle accidents and suicide.

Conway and Kent, held a town hall meeting at the Marine Memorial Chapel with Marines, sailors and their families to answer questions.

During the meeting, Kent referred to an old saying, ‘If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one,’ and added that times are different and family welfare is a priority.

“We are more family conscious today,” said Conway. “If we are going to retain a great future we have to focus on the families.”

Before departing the installation Conway and Kent thanked Marines and sailors for their sacrifices and for stepping forward to serve during war.

The SMMC also explained to Marines that the term ‘devil dog’ is not a derogatory term.

“Devil dog, that’s a great term,” said Kent. “We earned that in blood, we earned that in combat. You should be proud to be called that.”

Ellie