PDA

View Full Version : Yuma-area native cited for bravery with Marines in Afghanistan

thedrifter
12-02-08, 06:47 AM
Yuma-area native cited for bravery with Marines in Afghanistan

November 30, 2008 - 6:54 PM
BY CPL. MARGARET HUGHES, SPECIAL TO THE SUN

A Marine lieutenant colonel who is a native of the Yuma area recently received a Bronze Star for bravery under fire in Afghanistan.

Lt. Col. Christopher Nash, currently the operations officer for Advisor Training Group at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms, Calif., was embedded with a motorized combat patrol made up of Afghan Border Patrol and members of the Afghan National Army when it came under fire by insurgents in the Nangarhar province in June 2007.

The Marine Corps gave this account of the battle:

The patrol was outnumbered by the estimated 450 anti-coalition insurgents.

With Afghan forces in disarray, Nash took cover and engaged the enemy, even with only eight U.S. personnel left in the fight with him.

As the encounter progressed, Nash moved to a position that allowed for better communication, exposing himself to direct and indirect fire as he moved from position to position.

Hours into the fight, Nash made the decision to withdraw from the area after he learned air support would not be provided and the Coalition Quick Reaction Force had been ordered not to proceed to the area.

Before doing so, he directed and assisted with the recovery of Afghan coalition members who were killed or wounded. When a wounded Afghan soldier was located, Nash helped move the soldier to the vehicles while under sporadic fire.

The team proceeded to the Pachir Wa Agam District, where it linked up with the Coalition Quick Reaction Force. Shortly after arriving, Nash received a call from the governor of Nangarhar stating that the road north of Pachir Wa Agam had been cut off by a force of more than 70 anti-coalition militia and that the Quick Reaction Force would be sent in to try to open the road.

Nash was asked to organize a defense to hold the Pachir Wa Agam District Center until additional forces arrived. He also directed a detachment of his own team to support a vehicle recovery mission from the confrontation earlier.

The district center was held throughout the night and all vehicles were recovered by morning.

Nash received a Bronze Star with combat distinguishing device for actions during an awards ceremony earlier this month.

After the citation was read and Nash received his award, he spoke to the Marines, contractors, role players and family members in attendance.

"My real award was bringing all my Marines and sailors home," Nash said. "Day in and day out, with minimal to no support from coalition forces, they would head out into the enemy-influenced and (enemy) controlled border areas with our brothers the Afghan Border Police and the Afghan National Army daily, and try to bring positive change in the lives of not only the Afghan security forces but the Afghan population."

Nash credits his family for getting him through the deployment. He believes that the love he has for his family is the reason he and his Marines are alive today.

"Outnumbered 50 to one, Afghan and U.S. forces refusing to enter the valley, and no aviation or indirect fire, I knew in all likelihood we were dead men," Nash said. "In that moment in my life, I saw my wife and children. In this moment of clarity, it allowed me to see the field for what it was and not what I wanted it to be."

Not only is Nash said to be recognized for his ability to lead, but also as one of the leading experts by his peers in the Advisor Training Group, said Marine Lt. Col. Richard Warmbold, deputy director of the group.

"He is one of the few that not only understands the importance of the advisor mission and how it should be done, but he is also able to share that knowledge and insight with others in a format that is understandable to junior and senior Marines," said Warmbold.

Although Nash has since returned from Afghanistan, he still holds close to him the experiences and hardships he met on his deployment and on that difficult day of combat.

"I take less for granted," Nash said. "I value every moment I have with my wife and children and the opportunity to serve with Marines."

Ellie