PDA

View Full Version : Saginaw Township hospice sends care packages to Marines in Iraq

thedrifter
12-02-08, 06:38 AM
Saginaw Township hospice sends care packages to Marines in Iraq
Posted by Cole Waterman | The Saginaw News December 01, 2008 15:28PM

American troops in Iraq are receiving special gifts this holiday season, courtesy of a mid-Michigan hospice.

Wednesday, workers at SouthernCare Hospice, 6272 State in Saginaw Township, mailed 48 care packages to 160 U.S. Marines stationed in Iraq.

"We started (gathering) over two months ago," said the Rev. William Schaard, 60, the hospice's chaplain. "I have a nephew in the Marines in Iraq, and my sister called and said it'd be nice to send him a care package."

With that idea as a springboard, Schaard organized a collection drive. Also contributing were nursing homes, assisted living centers and the Trinity Riders Christian Motorcycle Club.

"We had a motorcycle run about three weeks ago," Schaard said. "Seventeen riders from Bay City to Saginaw dropped off items we could fill the boxes with."

One unique item was a 50-star U.S. flag, donated by the original designer, Bob Heft of Thomas Township.

"We're sending magazines, toiletries, hundreds of items," said Schaard, a former Marine who spent two years in Vietnam. "I know what it means to get a care package over there."

Those wishing to donate may do so by stopping by the hospice.

Ellie