PDA

View Full Version : Naval Academy Chief Resigns After Probe

top1371
06-04-03, 11:28 PM
Naval Academy Chief Resigns After Probe <br />
Wed Jun 4, 9:15 PM ET Add White House - AP Cabinet &amp; State to My Yahoo! <br />
<br />
By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON - The superintendent of the...

firstsgtmike
06-04-03, 11:58 PM
I don't know if it is true or not, but it is a story I heard when I was attending "guard school'.

A "top secret" compound on a Marine base. The sentry had orders; On weekends, no one could enter the compound unless accompanied by Lt.Col ........the CO of the compound.

Saturday afternoon, a staff car carrying the Base Commander, General .......drove up.

The sentry stopped them and explained the requirement for the compound commander to be in attendance before he could permit entry.

"Do you know who I am?" "Yes Sir, General, Sir." "Humph, drive on driver."

The sentry locked and loaded, lowered his rifle to the horizontal position and asked; "Sir, I'm new at this, who do I shoot first, you or the driver?"

The next day, there was a new meritoriously promoted Corporal on the base. The General initiated the recommendation.

top1371
06-05-03, 08:22 PM
Not as good as the 1stSgt’s story but here are two short stories on challenging seniors:

Back in ’82 one of my friends was put on gate guard for a demolitions range. We were down range blowing rock. He was told not to let anyone pass without having their flak jacket zipped and snapped and the same for the chinstrap on the helmet. Well, the battalion commander, which was the colonel that issued the above order approached and started his way down range to check our progress. The PFC stopped him and told him that he could not go down range until he buttoned up. The colonel did so and proceeded down range. Word got around and everyone called the PFC a dumb a$$, but he next morning he was called forward and given a meritorious mast in front of the battalion. Good to go.

Another friend of mine, then a SSgt (now a CWO2) was on gate check on Okinawa. Orders were to check ALL drivers’ licenses and I.D.s and to speak to each driver to make sure they were not under the influence. A car approached my friend with a blue sticker and driver in civilian clothes. He did note it also had the smaller red sticker with a silver bird in it. So, he whipped out a salute with the proper greeting, asked for the driver’s I.D. and drivers license. The driver replied, “I am a Colonel!” the SSgt counter with “yes sir you are, but I need to see your I.D. and drivers license”, the colonel replied “I said I am a colonel!”, the SSgt then asked the colonel “What’s your point sir?”, then the colonel outright says he does not need to be checked because he is a colonel. Well my friend is a sharp individual, he follows order and hey – it could have been a test – word was out that the CG would chew your butt if you didn’t card him. The end result was the colonel did show his I.D. and drivers license before passing.

Old Marine Proverb- Marine on watch has no friends.

Semper Fi,