PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about swim quals

JoshuaP
12-01-08, 07:37 PM
Yes, I know I should have other things to worry about, but I saw someone say that the DI's are just looking for people not doing what they say to throw out. Ive searched for this answer, but haven't found a concrete answer.

If you do the wrong things at the swim qualifying, or disobey the DI, do you get kicked out of RT? Or just from the swimming?
Im confused about this.

Thanks!

temarti
12-01-08, 08:07 PM
If you are not doing the proper technique, you will be removed from the water, either as unq or not able to proceed to the next level. If you just can not swim then that is a different matter and will have to re-qual with a quick class prior to qual.

Phantom Blooper
12-01-08, 08:23 PM
Drill Instructors are your surrogate father while you are in boot camp.

They will steer you in the proper direction. They will help and guide you in all possible ways.

As a last resort you will be recycled or dropped and processed out of the Marine Corps.

They don't go looking for things to drop you for...they look for things that you already have to turn you into a man and a Marine!:evilgrin:

Quinbo
12-01-08, 09:02 PM
The drill instructors don't want you to drown so if you look like you are trying to swim with bricks in your pockets you will be removed from the pool. I'd quote Krulak but I don't want a time out.

CarolinaMarine
12-01-08, 10:14 PM
Most times it won't be your Drill Instructor watching you in the pool. It will be the Marines that work the pool. Not like its much of a difference as most have been or are Drill Instructors.

You can be told to get out of the pool and don't come back until the next day, etc.

temarti
12-01-08, 10:38 PM
Blue Marines or recruits send swim instructors to the brig, so they want you to succeed

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-01-08, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry, but it has to be asked. Why would you not do what you're told? In honesty, it appears that you're planning on being on your own program- and I do not understand that. It is no different than any other part of boot camp, you do what you are told to do, how you are told to do it, and when you are told to do it. If you cannot follow basic instructions, you get what you get- and you deserve to get it.

Swim qual isn't anything most people need to worry about. If you can swim at all you'll meet the basic criteria and pass. If you cannot, they'll get you through it. My platoon had exactly one person that didn't pass swim qual. He never did pass and was sent home. However, it had nothing to do with swimming. The recruit could swim as well as anyone else in the platoon. However, he could not force himself to jump off of the platform. Classic example, he refused to follow orders and he paid the price.

Rowe907
12-02-08, 02:21 AM
Swim Quals really werent that hard. You run through the shower, slip into some huge azz cammies, tie on some boots that are size 14 and missing a heel or a sole, and jump in. The ITC Drill Instructors explain everything to you. Dont freak or give up. They take the recruits who cant swim and teach them how to swim. The best part about Swim Week was after you swim for the day, you go back to the house and chill er... I mean study prac. Also, pay attention when you get taught how to make "swim rolls." Dont be one of the few whos swim roll looked like an abortion and got sent to the quarterdeck.