PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Tat while in DEP

degenerate138
12-01-08, 02:51 PM
What's the procedure if a poolee wanted a Tat while in the DEP? I've searched for a similar question by the way and couldn't find anything that answers this question.

My good friend - who's been by my side through the good times and the bad times - and I were talking about getting a tattoo that we'd both have before I go to boot. I'm wondering if this would hinder any process for going to boot camp? I have one tattoo already and got a waiver for it easily, so it wasn't a problem...

I don't know what the tattoo I'd get would be, but it wouldn't be gang related or any **** like that.

So my question is: would it be a bad idea to get a tattoo now that I'm in the DEP, or would it not be a problem? Any insight is appreciated.

SSgt IKe
12-01-08, 03:06 PM
Well I know the regulations were changing just before I got out. I would advise you not to get Marine Corps related tattoo before bootcamp. The drill instructors will ride your ass for it. Also I would not get any tattoo that can be seen outside of a short sleeve shirt. Just FYI!

Marine84
12-01-08, 03:07 PM
Search the other 5,623,542,457 threads on this very subject

degenerate138
12-01-08, 03:20 PM
I searched before creating this topic but couldn't find anything related... searched a couple more times and finally found something. Thanks for the replies.

martinj
12-01-08, 03:29 PM
They told me at MEPS that you CAN NOT get a tattoo and that you will not be going to boot if you decide to get one, i dont know if they were just saying that or if they really meant it, but i wouldnt test them because my liaison was a SSGT. and she scared the pizz outta me so im going to believe what she said.

dizark
12-01-08, 03:32 PM
From what I understand (I have 2 tattoos currently), that if you did get one, it will hinder your process because a tattoo waiver would need to be submitted, with statements from you about it not being gang related, etc. I was also told, not to get anymore tattoos while in the DEP and to wait until after bootcamp.

I advise you to do the same. Come home from bootcamp a Marine, and then get one with your friend.

temarti
12-01-08, 03:33 PM
but i wouldnt test them because my liaison was a SSGT. and she scared the pizz outta me so im going to believe what she said.

LMAOF!!!:beer:

degenerate138
12-01-08, 03:36 PM
LOL. Alright, well thanks for the advice Marines and poolees I guess I will be waiting to get this tat with my bro after I get home from boot, as a Marine. Thanks again for the replies.

polizei
12-01-08, 04:28 PM
My recruiter, as well as MEPS told me (and everyone else) to NOT get a tattoo during DEP. I would listen...wait until your done, it's not that much longer!

CplGiraffe
12-01-08, 05:05 PM
Wait a second, you and your friend want matching tatoos? Are you going to boot camp together, or is he not joining?

Books
12-01-08, 05:09 PM
What is the fascination with tattoos among poolees...? They seem like the kind of thing you would get after a significant experience/journey, like being a Marine. Getting one right after or during high school is like counting chickens a bit early. Even if you don't get a USMC one, and let's say unfortunately you get get ELS in boot, then you have to find a new life direction/career that may void the whole tattoo thing. And then you have to black-and-decker it off or something.

dizark
12-01-08, 05:16 PM
Books,

A tattoo is not only for a "significant experience or journey". The two I have are rememberance tattoos for my in-laws who passed away three weeks apart in 2006. This was done as a symbol of the respect I had for them and for my wife.

I would not classify this as a "significant experience, or journey" in any means. You're 18, and are just now allowed to get a tattoo without parental consent. Please, speak on a subject you are familiar with, with truth.

Thank you.

echo3oscar1833
12-01-08, 05:46 PM
I love these tattoos threads, lol it would be funny if I tried to reenlist with all of the tattoos that I got after I was out. I have a few that really can't be covered by a uniform. Then only uniform that I could cover all of them with would be the Dress Blues, and that would only happen cause the collar is high enough to cover the Semper Fi across my neck lol. I waited until I got out of the Corps to get some Moto Marine tats. I only posted the pics of three of them there is one more, but I cant upload a fourth lol.
<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sUogHY-AIL0/STMeyy1_FQI/AAAAAAAAAZo/DNFd-Jxw5Ac/s144/tat6.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5356Bs-d_yUQBwesocqkcQ)</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Tattoos (http://picasaweb.google.com/benotten/Tattoos)</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sUogHY-AIL0/STMezI8dbAI/AAAAAAAAAZw/-NY2SL4oXTo/s144/tat4.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0Sjb7OaXP-OxzWa24J6PVg)</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Tattoos (http://picasaweb.google.com/benotten/Tattoos)</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh4.ggpht.com/_sUogHY-AIL0/STMeymbqbDI/AAAAAAAAAZg/r-wYdZay3rM/s144/tat5.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TQpnURMZEbxhTfbbr-8jiw)
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Tattoos (http://picasaweb.google.com/benotten/Tattoos)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

kbg1010
12-01-08, 06:40 PM
Aww Crap. We are not supposed to get a tattoo in Dep. I ship out in 14 days and I just got a huge Eagle, Globe, and Anchor across my back. I sure hope the drill instructors like it.

codeman92190
12-01-08, 07:13 PM
I don't know about you guys but I definitely signed a paper agreeing not to get ANY tattoos while in the DEP... I signed it along with my actual enlistment papers. I would ask your recruiter.

Marine84
12-02-08, 07:57 AM
Aww Crap. We are not supposed to get a tattoo in Dep. I ship out in 14 days and I just got a huge Eagle, Globe, and Anchor across my back. I sure hope the drill instructors like it.

YOU are about a dumba$$! What if you don't make it? How you gonna explain that EGA?

yellowwing
12-02-08, 09:06 AM

Please tell me that you are pulling our leg!

JamesMShaw
12-02-08, 11:04 AM
My Recruiter and those he works with all stressed to not get a tattoo while in DEP. You may still be able to go to boot, but it will mean causing a whole mess of trouble and you are simply better off waiting until you are out of boot. The tattoo will be there for life anyway so what's the rush.

UsmcMotorT
12-02-08, 01:31 PM
put it on your elbow.

Pete0331
12-02-08, 01:34 PM
Don't get a tattoo while in the DEP.

If you get one hide it and they find out later you will have a fraudulent enlistment as it was not documented beforehand.

If you get one and tell the recruiter, you have to have it documented. Giving more work for your recruiter to do. Believe me, the recruiters do not need more work.
They will make it a point to screw with you.

put it on your elbow.

The neck would be better. It lets everyone know how moto you are.

echo3oscar1833
12-02-08, 07:20 PM

If you get one hide it and they find out later you will have a fraudulent enlistment as it was not documented beforehand.

If you get one and tell the recruiter, you have to have it documented. Giving more work for your recruiter to do. Believe me, the recruiters do not need more work.

Haha thats funny. I got one on my neck lol. I did it after I was out. Go back to the first page I posted some pics lol. :D. And before anyone ask's it does hurt:marine:

SGT7477
12-02-08, 10:34 PM
What's the procedure if a poolee wanted a Tat while in the DEP? I've searched for a similar question by the way and couldn't find anything that answers this question.

My good friend - who's been by my side through the good times and the bad times - and I were talking about getting a tattoo that we'd both have before I go to boot. I'm wondering if this would hinder any process for going to boot camp? I have one tattoo already and got a waiver for it easily, so it wasn't a problem...

I don't know what the tattoo I'd get would be, but it wouldn't be gang related or any **** like that.

So my question is: would it be a bad idea to get a tattoo now that I'm in the DEP, or would it not be a problem? Any insight is appreciated.

Tat your ass you will be good to go.:evilgrin:

Stromberg
12-02-08, 10:45 PM
Tat your ass you will be good to go.:evilgrin:

I was sitting in MEPS talking to this guy and he was talking about the tattoo he had and the fun he had explaining it.

He got "Your Name" tattooed on his butt. He was on the phone trying get it cleared up and was saying that he had "Your Name" tattooed on his butt, but they weren't getting it...apparently they had to take a picture of it too...

degenerate138
12-02-08, 11:28 PM
Not gonna tat my ass, that would be stupid.

ecom
12-03-08, 12:21 AM
Funny you bring up tattoos. I was on duty once and this female Pvt was showing off a tattoo she got on her shoulder blade. The tattoo turned out to be some Japanese characters and I laughed my butt off when I saw it because they were upside down. I felt like an ass breaking it to her, but it couldn't be helped. I'm not Japanese and I know that...(I watch a lot of anime).

Pete0331
12-03-08, 12:50 AM
Some guy I served with got a tat on the top of his penis that said "welcome aboard."

Good thing for him, another Marine offered to pay for it.

LandsNGrooves
12-03-08, 01:34 AM
I like that Flying V Lance Corporal.

And yes, no tats in DEP. They dont ask on you on the 30 and 5 day preships for nothing.

SGT7477
12-03-08, 09:03 AM
I was sitting in MEPS talking to this guy and he was talking about the tattoo he had and the fun he had explaining it.

He got "Your Name" tattooed on his butt. He was on the phone trying get it cleared up and was saying that he had "Your Name" tattooed on his butt, but they weren't getting it...apparently they had to take a picture of it too...

When I checked in on the base at Okinawa I will never forget the Gunny who dropped his pants in front of us with his tat, the tat on his ass said Grade A Choice American Meat.

ecom
12-03-08, 10:19 AM
When I checked in on the base at Okinawa I will never forget the Gunny who dropped his pants in front of us with his tat, the tat on his ass said Grade A Choice American Meat.

Why did he limit himself to "choice"? He must not think highly of himself.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9972/thumbnailprime1pl9.gif <- that's where the good stuff is

degenerate138
12-03-08, 11:46 AM
Jesus Christ, a tattoo on your dick? Man that **** musta HURT.

jetdoc
12-03-08, 02:51 PM
YOU are about a dumba$$! What if you don't make it? How you gonna explain that EGA?

:D.....dude just wait to see if you are able to even become a Marine...worry about the tattoo's later.

SGT7477
12-03-08, 03:22 PM
Why did he limit himself to "choice"? He must not think highly of himself.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9972/thumbnailprime1pl9.gif <- that's where the good stuff is

You wouldn't of had the nerve yourself to ask that Gunny why, believe me.:evilgrin:

usmchauer
12-03-08, 04:07 PM
Jesus Christ, a tattoo on your dick? Man that **** musta HURT.

That's definately hard core. You've got to be a crazy sumbich to tattoo your own crank. I know an EOD Tech, that tattooed EOD and a bursting bomb on his pecker, himself.

SGT7477
12-03-08, 04:29 PM
That's definately hard core. You've got to be a crazy sumbich to tattoo your own crank. I know an EOD Tech, that tattooed EOD and a bursting bomb on his pecker, himself.

You got that right brother,lmfao.:flag:

kbg1010
12-03-08, 07:32 PM

I was just kidding by the way. Or am I?

SGT7477
12-04-08, 10:28 AM
I was just kidding by the way. Or am I?

If I was you I would do that along with wearing a Marine Corps t-shirt and don't forget the high and tight it shows them you are ready to be a Marine.:evilgrin:

UsmcMotorT
12-04-08, 11:51 AM

lol.

How abut a nutsack on your chin, ha.

Ace151Slayer
12-04-08, 12:28 PM
I wouldnt advise it, they tell you not too. I just got back from meps this week, and because of my tattoo on my chest, it ended up making me stay an extra day at meps all over again so it would be "approved."

So I mean on ship out day if they ask you about tattoos and its something they arent sure about, you may get held over til its approved, and who the hell wants to do that.

COFields
12-04-08, 04:07 PM
Yeah, i was told not to get anything. I have 4 tattoos, and they told me it was "really hard" to get them waivered.

Tookie22
12-06-08, 09:55 PM
codeman is right. I know a tat would be sweet but why not get it once you earn it. Plus you did sign a paper saying you wouldn't and that might get you in some trouble. Just wait till you get back, my friend did and got semper fi on his back

Qwarkeh
12-06-08, 10:16 PM

Or drunk. There's a story of a guy here that got wasted and went off saying "I'm gonna get a tattoo!" The next day in a company formation run, he fell out. The company XO went up to him and asked him why he was falling so far behind.

"I got drunk last night and had a smiley face tattooed on the tip of my penis..."