PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted/Officer Relationship

Calvin09
12-01-08, 12:36 PM
I've always heard that the relationship between Enlisted Personnel and Officers has always been shaky in the armed forces.

I know that Marines can get along with most Officers, like the Lieutenant that leads your Platoon, or the Captain that leads your Company.

But, how well would you say Enlisted Marines get along with the top brass guys? Like Colonels and 3-4 Star generals?

I'm sure all of you have heard the stories of Soldiers in the Army fragging their officers because they didn't get along with them. I've even heard of incidents like that in the Marines. Fragging of Officers was apparently rampant during Vietnam. From what I've heard anyway.

0231Marine
12-01-08, 12:46 PM
Seriously man, you drive me crazy with some of your questions. There are very few MOS's or billetts where junior enlisted Marines are going to converse with someone that high ranking. Usually when they do, it's when the General wants to get out and talk to the Marines under his command and all you say is, "Everything is great Sir, we're motivated!" and then he goes back to his meetings and briefings and you go back to filling sandbags and cleaning ****ters.

I don't know what drives your curiosity regarding Marines wanting to hurt eachother and civilians but you've pm'd me on several occasions asking similar things. Just get over it and go back to fantasy land or Blockbuster or wherever you're getting your information from.

Zulu 36
12-01-08, 12:55 PM
I've always heard that the relationship between Enlisted Personnel and Officers has always been shaky in the armed forces.

I know that Marines can get along with most Officers, like the Lieutenant that leads your Platoon, or the Captain that leads your Company.

But, how well would you say Enlisted Marines get along with the top brass guys? Like Colonels and 3-4 Star generals?

I'm sure all of you have heard the stories of Soldiers in the Army fragging their officers because they didn't get along with them. I've even heard of incidents like that in the Marines. Fragging of Officers was apparently rampant during Vietnam. From what I've heard anyway.

Personally, I generally got along quite well with colonels and generals. In fact, normally I was on a first name basis with many of them. They'd call me Chris and I'd call them General. No problem.

Seriously, I did interact with senior officers frequently because of my assorted jobs. I saw the major general CG, 1st MarDiv at least a couple of days per week to brief him on crime trends within the division. He was very easy to talk with and was always a gracious host. He made sure I had a coffee or whatever else to drink, a snack, etc.

Briefings with him were pretty informal, especially when I explained some technical aspects of police work. He was down to earth and salty language was approved in his office.

I also supervised MP parking details on General's Row at Pendleton periodically when ever one of the generals was having a big fancy party with local big shots. We were always well fed by the general's stewards, and in one case, we had a couple of beers afterward with the general (armed and all).

I had more problems with junior officers. Why? Because the senior officers had "made it." Some of the junior officers thought the best way to "make it" was to be an azzhole. As I'm sure most of our officer members will admit, being an azzhole for no particular reason is not very conducive to morale or discipline.

ggyoung
12-01-08, 01:07 PM
While at 29 Palms in 1966-67 I was TAD to reserve training Bn. I worked for a Col. Nobody in between the two of us. This Col. Had the MOH. It did not go to his head like some have. We could talk back and forth like just people talking. This Col. was later to become CMC. General Wilson.

JWorkDI
12-01-08, 01:19 PM
General's are people too and usually, they prefer talking to the enlisted side anyway. I've met everyone up to the CMC also and they all couldn't be nicer. They have enough officers running around to meet their every need. Sometimes they'll just take a break and pull a couple of Sgt's or Cpl's aside and talk with them to see how they're doing.

Marine84
12-01-08, 01:22 PM
My relationship with ANY of them was good. ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-01-08, 01:37 PM
I guess I'll buck the trend. Of the 3 platoon commanders I had, I like 2 of them. One of the company commanders I had is on my list of least favorite people, along with a Colonel that was our CO at the time. Having rank doesn't necessarily mean you're a good person.

That said, it isn't their job, or ours, to be best friends. We're all trying to accomplish the mission. The Captain I spoke of above was a good company commander in that he ensured that the mission was accomplished. The Colonel worried more about how his superiors and peers viewed him, and that was problematic. In the end, the Marine Corps is like any other organization. There are going to be people you like, and there are going to be those you dislike. There are going to be people that are great at what they do, and there are going to be times where your superiors are lacking. In the end, it doesn't matter. You do what you're told to do, and do it to the best of your ability. Worrying about anything else is just a waste of time.

echo3oscar1833
12-01-08, 01:55 PM
Based on my own experience I never had a problem talking with Officers or SNCO's shoot one of my favorite Marines to talk to of senior grade was the Battalion Commander. He knew who I was, by first name, but don't think for one minute because you might get to be buddy buddy with a SNCO or some higher brass that you can loose all sense of bearing and respect. Always remain professional, call them at all times by there rank, or sir. If your talking to SNCO's such as Gunnery Sergeants, Master Sergeants, Master Gunnery Sergeants and so forth. Don't use terms such as Gunny, Top, Master Guns, unless they give you permission to do so. When in doubt use commen sense. If you show respect, and pride. You will get that in return, if not well I would advise standing the hell by. Semper Fi.:marine:

Calvin09
12-01-08, 02:13 PM
Seriously man, you drive me crazy with some of your questions. There are very few MOS's or billetts where junior enlisted Marines are going to converse with someone that high ranking. Usually when they do, it's when the General wants to get out and talk to the Marines under his command and all you say is, "Everything is great Sir, we're motivated!" and then he goes back to his meetings and briefings and you go back to filling sandbags and cleaning ****ters.

I don't know what drives your curiosity regarding Marines wanting to hurt eachother and civilians but you've pm'd me on several occasions asking similar things. Just get over it and go back to fantasy land or Blockbuster or wherever you're getting your information from.

Sorry, Its just that I have looked up to Marines since I was seven years old. And then to suddenly be hit with all of this s**t about them gets me mad and then I focus on that and I worry about it. I've always been paranoid and analyzed the s**t out of everything my whole life. It is something I just have trouble getting over. But if I want to be a Marine, then I know I have to get over it.

echo3oscar1833
12-01-08, 02:17 PM
Sorry, Its just that I have looked up to Marines since I was seven years old. And then to suddenly be hit with all of this s**t about them gets me mad and then I focus on that and I worry about it. I've always been paranoid and analyzed the s**t out of everything my whole life. It is something I just have trouble getting over. But if I want to be a Marine, then I know I have to get over it.

Wow!! can we say obsessive compulsive:D

Calvin09
12-01-08, 11:55 PM
Wow!! can we say obsessive compulsive:D

Yes, exactly. I irritate my family and friends with it all of the time. I've just gotta try and settle down sometimes.

Isrowei
12-02-08, 05:48 AM
As I'm sure most of our officer members will admit, being an azzhole for no particular reason is not very conducive to morale or discipline.

Agreed.

Generally I try to reserve being an azzhole for thursdays only. No one expects it after hump day... mwahahaha!

Ok, but seriously. No.

0231Marine
12-02-08, 07:01 AM
Very funny Lt!!! Usually Monday's are the worst starting with some motivating pt. For my unit, Monday's were platoon pt which meant our fresh out of OCS Lt lead it and of course, the guy was a pt stud (what officer isn't out of OCS...lol).

But seriously, I haven't known too many officers to be heavy handed or just a straight up azzhole unless it was warranted.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-02-08, 07:17 AM
Truthfully I know of times when I wished a Lt. would have been more of an A-hole. The one Lt. I didn't like at all had that part down pat (though often not about the right things). Oddly enough, our morale shot through the roof. It became an us against him type of mentality, and the platoon was tighter than ever.

Marine84
12-02-08, 08:08 AM
Generally I try to reserve being an azzhole for thursdays only. No one expects it after hump day... mwahahaha!

LOL!

mjhpgh
12-02-08, 09:34 AM
I had a great relationship with one of my Commanders. Her name was Major Love.....just kidding

Enigmatic
12-02-08, 10:10 AM
How's this for a LCpl's going away? When I left Oki, my going away party consisted of me, my wife, the BN Commander, BN XO, BN SgtMaj, Company 1stSgt, GySgt and Company Commander. We weren't buddies or anything but these were the men and woman I worked for during my time on the island and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I also once got to have lunch with the former ACMC, General Nyland. This man was an absolute class act. I was a lowly LCpl and here he was talking to me without ever looking down on me or anything like that.

I've had my share of bad experiences with officers, but the vast majority of the times I spent in the presence of officers were great experiences.

rvillac2
12-02-08, 10:29 AM
Agreed.

Ok, but seriously. No.

Just in time for field day.

Zulu 36
12-02-08, 11:18 AM
Lt. Isrowei, you're a cut-up. I'll bet you are a good boss to work for.

In the Marine Corps, there was only one officer I really think poorly about to this day. But then, he probably feels the same way about me. He was a 1stLt and I ruined his career because he tried to ruin mine. He was a party-animal screw-up who spent most mornings hung-over and most afternoons telling me about his adventures in the 'ville (on Okinawa). I finally got tired of covering up his mistakes and lack of work production.

Having said that, overall my impression of Marine officers was very good. My unit in Nam had a flock of really decent officers (pilots). The CO and XO (and 1stSgt) were probably the best command team I ever served under. I suppose if you're in a combat zone, a top-notch command team is a good one to have.

Don't get me started on Air Force officers.

UsmcMotorT
12-02-08, 01:36 PM
Keep it all business related. No grab-ass going on or anything like in the Army.