PDA

View Full Version : Marsoc/recon

lagrand
12-01-08, 01:02 AM
Hello Marines. You have my word that this is not a direct attempt to brag about how I will be the next Recon stud. After filtering through the threads on Leatherneck.com and doing a plethora of Google searches, I am having difficulty understanding the structure, missions and objectives that MARSOC/RECON each provide, along with each training pipeline.

From researched gathered on this site along with other sourches, I have come to realize that Recon is no longer and that Marsoc is taking over, correct? If this is true, what will the new indoctrination incorporate? What are the locations of the indoc/training? What is the selection process like?

If there are any Marines that care to shed some light on the topic it would be greatly appreciated as I am misinformed, or if anyone has any credible links to further reading and information regarding the MARSOC program, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you all and God bless.

-LaGrand

fieldcammies
12-01-08, 01:16 AM
From researched gathered on this site along with other sourches, I have come to realize that Recon is no longer and that Marsoc is taking over, correct?

This is absolutely incorrect.

Marine Reconnaissance works in support of combat operations for an invading/attacking unit. For example, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion supports the 1st Marine Division. Marines from 1st Recon also provide a platoon which supports the Battalion Landing Teams on MEUs.

When MARSOC was founded, the bulk of it's original members came from the Force Recon community. MARSOC works for SOCOM. Force Recon works for the Marine Expeditionary FORCE, and Recon Battalions work for the divisions.

I wouldn't worry about MARSOC, as you need experience to try out and be selected to operate there. Look in the Poolee forum for the thread on Scout Sniper. I wrote a post in there regarding the pipeline for Recon.

lagrand
12-01-08, 01:25 AM
Thank you, Sir (I am unsure of your rank) for your response.

Let me make sure I am understanding everything correctly. MARSOC, Force Recon, and Recon are all 3 totally different organizations within the Marine Corps with 3 different missions? I apologize for my ignorance as I have never researched the topic of Special Ops within the Marines. I greatly appreciate you're help. I'll be sure to check out your pipeline within the Poolee Forum. Thank you

- LaGrand

lagrand
12-01-08, 01:33 AM
Hi Again, I just visited your post on the Scout/Sniper thread and had a quick question...

1. Boot camp
2. SOI (Infantry training battalion to become an 0311) Note: Lat move from non infantry MOS's now must earn the 0311 at SOI/ITB before going Recon.
3. MART - Marines Awaiting Reconnaissance Training...formerly called Pre-BRC, this used to be where we got our teeth kicked in above and below the water trying to earn a BRC school seat. I can't speak to the level of thrashing or the experience the student has at MART as this is a relatively new change.
4. BRC - Basic Reconnaissance Course...this is held at Camp Pendleton as is MART. You learn patrolling, communications, mission planning, reconnaissance skills, etc. Hopefully it's a gut check. After this you're an 0321 Recon Marine

In bold above, when you mention MART, is this the phase where an indoctrination would occur? Or is it simply "waiting" and doing police calls and what not until a BRC class picks up?

Thanks again for your help, Sir.

rvillac2
12-01-08, 12:11 PM
Thank you, Sir (I am unsure of your rank) for your response.

Let me make sure I am understanding everything correctly. MARSOC, Force Recon, and Recon are all 3 totally different organizations within the Marine Corps with 3 different missions? I apologize for my ignorance as I have never researched the topic of Special Ops within the Marines. I greatly appreciate you're help. I'll be sure to check out your pipeline within the Poolee Forum. Thank you

- LaGrand

The Recon units are not organizations, they are units with specialized training. The only difference is the command structure that they operate under.
1st Recon Bn gets its orders from the 1st Division HQ.
1st Force Recon gets its orders from 1 Marine Expeditionary Force HQ.
MARSOC gets its orders from Joint Special Operations Command.

lagrand
12-01-08, 01:18 PM
Thanks Sergeant. Is the training pipeline the same for each?

bigdog43701
12-01-08, 03:29 PM
LAGRAND.....drop and give me 25 N O W! when you get done if you still have these "questions", drop and give me another 25.

Worry first about becoming a MARINE, then after a couple of years in the FMF then you can "try" to become RECON.

lagrand
12-01-08, 03:59 PM
Sergeant, I just finished a couple rounds of pushups and still have many unanswered questions. With all due respect, Sergeant, my questions are all out of mere curiosity. I have not once stated that I wanted to try out for Recon or not once stated that I will be Recon like most poolees on the forum. I came to the best source of information on Marine Corps because I enjoy learning new things. Thank you and God bless Sergeant.