PDA

View Full Version : When in the Marines does one move around alot?

Mingle
12-01-08, 12:54 AM
I know when in the Airforce they relocate you alot and I was just wondering if it was the same for the Marines. Any and all information is appreciated.

Quinbo
12-01-08, 01:42 AM
My younger brother is retired from the Air Force
He spent 3 years in Oklahoma
He spent 15 years in Alaska
He spent 1 year in Korea
He spent 3 years in Florida

I was in the Marines for 13 years
Stationed in Hawaii for 6 years most of which I wasn't in Hawaii
Stationed in Camp Pendleton for 3 years most of which I wasn't in California
Stationed in Quantico for 3 years .. non FMF unit so didn't go ride boats and kick down doors.

As a general rule the Marines move to a new duty every 3 years.

Petz
12-01-08, 12:00 PM
ANNNND that duty station doesn't mean you STAY there. As Bulkyker said... he did't really spend a lot of time there.

you have training exercises and Deployments to/on Iraq,Afgan,Ect./Ship. So to put it in persective and mind you I haven't been in as long as he has but I never stayed in one place longer than 6 months... this means I would be somewhere for 5 months then I'd be gone for at least a month before coming back. I'm even counting Iraq since I moved around there alot too.

so if you like travel and don't mind getting shot at or shooting at people/targets... then you'll enjoy what the Corps has to offer.

Mingle
12-01-08, 05:45 PM
Oh Ok then. That helps alot. Will I need to find a new place to live everytime I move? Because i want to buy a house in Tennessee (where i live now) and keep all my belongings there.

Zulu 36
12-01-08, 06:03 PM
You never know in the Corps. I was looking at my junk the other day and counted that I had 11 sets of PCS or TAD orders in six-years, three-months of active service in the Corps that moved me from one place to another.

And I never did a float.