PDA

View Full Version : NYSE Hosts Sailors, Marines for Closing Bell Ceremony

thedrifter
06-04-03, 09:52 AM
NYSE Hosts Sailors, Marines for Closing Bell Ceremony
Story Number: NNS030603-08
Release Date: 6/3/2003 9:21:00 AM

By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Jay Cope, Commander, Navy Region Northeast Public Affairs

NEW YORK (NNS) -- The Navy and Marine Corps’ finest were honored by one of the nation’s most respected institutions, when the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) hosted Sailors and Marines of the Year for the ringing of the closing bell.

The event coincided with New York’s 16th annual Fleet Week celebration honoring the nation’s maritime services.

The NYSE invited the Sailors and Marines, along with Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command/Commander, U.S. Atlantic Fleet Adm. Robert J. Natter and Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Atlantic Lt. Gen. Martin Berndt for a tour of the facility prior to the ringing of the bell.

The Chairman of the NYSE, Richard A. Grasso, praised the work of the servicemembers during a small reception before the event.

“We in the private sector wouldn’t be able to do our jobs without the great work you in the services do everyday,” he said. We can never thank you enough, but on behalf of all my colleagues…Thank you.”

During the tour of the facility, however, the members of the Stock Exchange showed their own appreciation by giving a standing ovation to all the servicemembers, as they walked through the trading room floor.

Boatswain’s Mate 1st Class (SW) Mark Bradford, Sailor of the Year for USS Shreveport (LPD 12), was impressed.

“It’s pretty powerful when you walk into that room…it really is something else,” he said. “You can see it every day on television, but it’s not the same as when you are actually there.”

Following the bell ringing, Ben Willis, a broker who works on the NYSE floor, sang “God Bless America.” That capped a very patriotic day for Bradford, who had reenlisted in the Navy that morning at Ground Zero.

“It was really a surprise to find out I was coming to the Stock Exchange,” he said. “This is my first time in the city, and New York really respects the servicemembers. It helps you have a lot of pride in what we do.”

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=7772

Sempers,

Roger