PDA

View Full Version : The few, the proud

thedrifter
11-29-08, 07:41 AM
November 28, 2008

The few, the proud

By Tom Bonnette
tbonnette@thetowntalk.com

Not everyone is ready for the rigorous life in the U.S. Marine Corps.

That's why recruiters in Alexandria are giving those who are brave enough a taste of what it's like to be one of the few and the proud.

"We try to get everyone ready for the rigors of being a recruit. We want to get them ready as soon as possible so they will be successful instead of just throwing them to the wolves," said Marine recruiter Sgt. John Pilsitz.

The Marine recruiting office on MacArthur Drive, near Eddie's BBQ, is offering a military-style training class for new recruits or those just thinking about signing up.

The trainees, usually high school students, must endure physical activities that include tasks like a 4-mile run and pulling a pickup truck with a rope, as well as being shown basic martial arts moves, to toughen them up for the Marines they hope to become.

It's hard work, but those who decide to take the challenge believe it will give them an edge.

"It has been demanding, but it's all about getting ready for boot camp," said 17-year-old Todd Hart, a senior at Alexandria Senior High and a Marine recruit.

Kristi Grubbs, an 18-year-old senior at Pineville High School, isn't sure yet if the Marine Corps is right for her, but she hopes the training will help make up her mind.

"I haven't really decided yet what I want to do in life so this is to help me decide," she said.

Anyone who is interested in the Marines and wants a challenge or needs to get into better shape can take the course.

Pilsitz said there are benefits in the training that can help young people no matter what road they choose in life.

"They learn self-confidence and gain an overwhelming sense of accomplishment," Pilsitz said. "They have a commitment to something whether or not they decide to join the Marines."

Those who are interested in the training can call Pilsitz at (318) 443-0409 or (318) 790-0553.

Ellie