PDA

View Full Version : Early graduation springs new Marines in time for Thanksgiving

thedrifter
11-28-08, 06:09 AM
Early graduation springs new Marines in time for Thanksgiving
Published Wed, Nov 26, 2008 12:00 AM
By KATE CERVE
kcerve@beaufortgazette.com
843-986-5517

Pvt. Steven Morin graduated from basic training Wednesday with one goal in mind: Get home as soon as possible.

About 20 friends and family members from New Hampshire, Boston and Florida traveled to Marine Corp Recruit Depot Parris Island this week to visit Morin before his parents bring him back to Cartersville, Ga., for the holiday.

"Pumpkin pie is probably what I want most," Morin said.

About 370 Marines graduated from the Parris Island depot Wednesday morning, allowing them to spend Thanksgiving with their families.

Graduation ceremonies are typically held on Fridays.

The new Marines will receive at least 12 days leave, and some said they are hoping to find a recruiting duty assignment near their hometowns so they can stay with their families through the holiday season. Some will report to Marine combat training at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., in mid-December.

Recruits still in basic training will eat a turkey dinner at the depot tonight. No training is scheduled for the holiday.

Pvt. Gerald Thierrien doesn't envy those recruits and said he's been ready to graduate since Day One. He planned to leave the base less than an hour after graduation.

"I'll pack my bags, go out to eat and start heading back to St. Augustine (Fla.)," he said.

After the ceremony, Pvt. Lawrence Barnes II posed for pictures with his father, a retired Army drill instructor, and held his girlfriend's hand.

He'll eat turkey and roasted pig with his family in Georgia today, as he has for the past 10 years. But Barnes said he'll miss the depot.

"When you first get here, you believe the drill instructors are there to thrash you," he said. "But then you realize they're here to help you. ... It's not that I don't want to leave boot camp -- it's not a sad feeling -- but I'll miss my drill instructors."

Ellie