PDA

View Full Version : Join the Marines and make somebody happy

thedrifter
11-26-08, 07:08 AM
Join the Marines and make somebody happy

Story by Matt Lucht

4:52 p.m. Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"We're doing a lot of different charities though, 'cause yesterday, we went to a retirement home, some of us did. And there's bell-ringers out everywhere you go," Washburn Rural eighth grader Nikke Noorani said.

"This is my second day out here and we're just packaging toys, moving boxes of books for different age groups and getting them ready for them to send out," Jen Wessel said.

"I know that my nephew and all my cousins love toys and if kids that don't get toys can get'em this way, it's great."

"This is a great idea and I'm really glad that they organized this and it gives the kids a chance to see the various things they can get involved in," volunteer Cathy Singles said.

"People have been really generous, and have done a really good job of opening up their hearts to the community."

"I had participated with Toys For Tots very little. I'd donated a few toys once in a while, but never really understood the program. But once I got out here on this duty, I understood the program and it's become a very important part of my life," Sgt. Robert Harwood said.

"Every little bit of help that we can get really helps. We help about 11,000 children a year and process about 22,000 toys, so any help is greatly appreciated."

http://www.ktka.com/news/2008/nov/25/join_marines_and_make_somebody_happy/

Ellie