PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 01:04 AM
I just turned 18 and im going to join and I want to go infantry... My best friend lives in California (I live in Tennessee) and he is going to join the Marines as well. I realize that it's the "need of the corps" as to where I will get stationed, but it seems like most infantry Marines who go to boot camp in San Diego also go to SOI at Camp Pendleton and get stationed on the west coast... when those who go to Parris Island go to Camp Lejeune for SOI and get stationed there. I really want to get stationed on the west coast but I don't know if I should try and go to boot camp in San Diego with my friend or just say screw it and take my chances with going to Parris Island and hopefully getting stationed out west. I mean, Im fine with getting stationed wherever they put me, but I would be pumped if I got stationed out west because thats where I am from. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PaidinBlood
11-26-08, 01:07 AM
As long as you got no problems with the West Coast, go with your bro. You might not end up located close to him, but you'll be closer and it's not a bad place to be even if something happens to him. Good luck.

rvillac2
11-26-08, 01:36 AM
Just remember...29 Palms is considered West Coast. ha ha ha.

PaidinBlood
11-26-08, 01:38 AM
Yeah, really. I always thought it was a total ****-hole but I was only there for CAX and other similar things. Some locos stationed there seem to like it. Maybe they know we're laughing at them every day when we go to the beach... :cool:

Achped
11-26-08, 02:43 AM
I don't see just what is wrong with 3rd Marines in Hawaii?

Aloha bruddas!

BR34
11-26-08, 05:52 AM
Okay, this is one of the most homosexual poolee posts I've seen in a while.

Phantom Blooper
11-26-08, 06:59 AM
There is no guarantee that you will be stationed anywhere close to your friend. Marine husband and wives only can be told that they will TRY to station them at least 50 miles close to each other and that is still not guaranteed.

Join the Marine Corps for yourself...not your friend. If you meet up with him on one coast and you hook up...fine.

But when you join the Marine Corps and after SOI it is the needs of the Marine Corps and the orders are random on who goes where. 1st Marines may need 10 ....3rd Marines may need 1...or 2nd Marines may need to be augmented for all.

It's the luck of the draw.

The only surefire way to get to MCRD SD is move to the land of fruits and nuts! And after boot camp and SOI there is still no written guarantee you will be stationed together!:evilgrin:

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies... I forgot to make it clear that I realize that I would be seperated from my friend after boot camp because he wants a different MOS than me... and I don't really care. I just wanted to see if going to boot camp out there would give me a better chance of getting stationed out there but since it doesn't really make much of a difference, Im going to just join out here. Whatever, I'll get stationed where I get stationed. Thanks again.
And by the way... I would be stoked if I got 29 palms! The California desert is an ATV riders paradise..

sparkie
11-26-08, 05:46 PM
ATV riders paradise????? Ain't too bright, is he?

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 05:56 PM
ATV riders paradise????? Ain't too bright, is he?

Um, What?

sparkie
11-26-08, 06:13 PM
Son, All riding in Cali has been corralled up with lotsa rules. Gotta pay for your yearly off road license, And don't even get caught off the trail, or outta the ridin park. Wanna ride? Come to nevada,,,,,mostly no rules, and I go ridin right outta my gate.

You can thank Senator Diane Fienstien for lockin up all the land.

BR34
11-26-08, 06:50 PM
Son, All riding in Cali has been corralled up with lotsa rules. Gotta pay for your yearly off road license, And don't even get caught off the trail, or outta the ridin park. Wanna ride? Come to nevada,,,,,mostly no rules, and I go ridin right outta my gate.

And then there's the unexploded ordinance. ;)

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 06:52 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of rules but thats actually a good thing.. Glamis is not nearly as crazy as it was.. and Glamis, Ocotillo Wells, Superstition, and many others are free as long as you have a green sticker.. And why would you ride outside of the park anyways? Do you know how big glamis is??? Sure there might not be as many rules in Nevada, but they don't have nearly as many riders as California does... if they did you better believe they would have just as many rules.

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 06:54 PM
And then there's the unexploded ordinance. ;)

haha if your dumb enough to ride where there is unexploded ordinance... then yeah the california desert sucks! those places are off limits anyways

sparkie
11-26-08, 07:02 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of rules but thats actually a good thing.. Glamis is not nearly as crazy as it was.. and Glamis, Ocotillo Wells, Superstition, and many others are free as long as you have a green sticker.. And why would you ride outside of the park anyways? Do you know how big glamis is??? Sure there might not be as many rules in Nevada, but they don't have nearly as many riders as California does... if they did you better believe they would have just as many rules.

But I started off roading in '74. I could explore for 100 miles without a ranger writing me a ticket. You see a good in all those rules,,,, I don't. Generation gap, I guess. Can you shoot at Ocitillo Wells????? He11 no.
I know every inch of the Anza Boreggo,,,,And they took it away.

MC79SOUTH
11-26-08, 07:12 PM
But I started off roading in '74. I could explore for 100 miles without a ranger writing me a ticket. You see a good in all those rules,,,, I don't. Generation gap, I guess. Can you shoot at Ocitillo Wells????? He11 no.
I know every inch of the Anza Boreggo,,,,And they took it away.

Thats because in '74 there were not nearly as many people that went out to the desert and rode ATC's and dirtbikes. You can still explore 100's of miles as long as you stay within park boundries... And hell no you can't shoot guns at ocotillo wells! Who the hell would want to ride there if they had to worry about possibly getting shot on accident? I woldnt. if everyone would shoot guns there, that would be ****in crazy! I understand what you mean... it would be cool if there werent so many people out there and you could shoot guns freely, but you just cant do that it would be too dangerous. They have other places to shoot guns if thats what you wanna do. I know the southern california desert very well also, thats where I grew up riding since I was 4 years old.. but rules are rules and you have to agree, its still some of the best riding in the country.

Allen870922
11-26-08, 11:58 PM
Yes it is true about the whole SOI situation... sometimes. I went to PI, went to SOI east, and ended up in Lejeune. My best bud went to PI, went to SOI east and ended up in Pendleton. It just depends on what the corps needs really. From what was explained to us a while ago is that if the west coast didn't meet all their recruiting requirements then they may need to pull some new guys from the east. And vice versa. When I graduated SOI the vast majority of us 11's went to Lejeune. About 8 went to 29 palms. And all the weapon guys went to Hawaii. You wanna go west coast then take your chance by doing your training there. Then your chances of getting stationed there are pretty decent.

MC79SOUTH
11-27-08, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I thought I was detecting some sort of pattern... I dont know, I mean that would suck if I moved all the way to my friends house in California to go to boot camp and they end up sending me to Lejeune anyways haha. Sorry for asking this question, I just realized how dumb it is... so yeah Im just going to join out here. I just want to be a Marine, it doesnt matter where they put me.

yellowwing
11-27-08, 12:52 PM
... so yeah Im just going to join out here. I just want to be a Marine, it doesnt matter where they put me.
Now you're talking! Never Quit

echo3oscar1833
11-28-08, 12:37 AM
Just remember...29 Palms is considered West Coast. ha ha ha.

that it is lol, hahahaha. Only those of us that have been there will ever know how funny that truly is lol. Man im still laughing hehehe!!:marine:

echo3oscar1833
11-28-08, 12:43 AM

Is he talking about those mudding things with four tires lol ;), we prefer to stick with big a$$ trucks here in the Midwest!! Last time I was on a four wheeler it was being pulled out of the mud. I think the manual was lying to me. It didn't work that well in the mud....lol

Vintage
12-03-08, 04:04 PM
Go west young man , enlist there , everyone knows that "Hollywood Marines" get all the woman , so if you want women (you do want women ,right?) SD is the place to be!!