PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe with questions

KGunner
11-25-08, 12:39 PM
I have talked to recruiters, but know the value of getting several opinions, so I come to you all seeking help.

I am 21 years old, currently a senior in college, and upon graduation if I do in fact decide to go that far, will do nothing with my degree which is history. I pay for college on my own, and acquiring loans is very difficult right now, especially after 3 years of getting them, I figure I may as well cut my losses now. At one point I wanted to teach, but kids just aren't for me. My plan was to enlist in the Marines out of high school, but the parents did not like that idea and it was their wish I attended a four year college and get a degree, I respected their wishes but feel now it is time for to enlist and live my life. I have always wanted to be in the military, the discipline attracts me the most, and the best men and women I have ever known had a military background. I also feel an obligation to the country that gives so much and asks so little in return. My first choice is Marines, I figure if I could be in harms way I might as well do it with the best trained. But if for whatever reason it does not work with the Marines, I will join another branch. Now that you all have a background I will move on to the questions.

I have three tattoos, a celtic cross on my right shoulder, my family crest in between my shoulder blades, and a shamrock on my chest with my family name in it. I am 3rd generation American, and am very proud of my Irish-American heritage. I have read that celtic crosses are a problem because gangs use them to mark members. How hard is it to get a tattoo waiver? I have read everything from difficult to easy. I am hoping easy as there are no visible tattoos.

I am a college senior as previously noted. What benefits are there to that? I have no problem going enlisted, although being an officer has always been a dream of mine. I would like to hear from others with firsthand experience of having college but not finishing prior to enlistment.

I have a screw in my big toe on my right foot as a result of a HS wrestling injury. At the time of the surgery the surgeon mentioned that I may need to have it removed if I ever planned on the military. Besides a scar, I never feel it, have full range of motion, and it doesn't affect me. I informed the recruiter of this, but he is not a doctor. Could this be a potential problem during any physical examinations. I would rather not hide anything, I am doing everything I can to be completely open about my medical history.

I am at the infancy stage of seeking the Marines, and look forward to the rest of the journey. This has been something I have wanted to do since I was just a little guy running around the neighborhood playing "army." Any additional words of advice for me not already posted in the countless other threads I browsed before registering here would be much appreciated.

I appreciate your service, and truly thank you.

Kyle Gunn

Banshee
11-25-08, 02:03 PM
Holy ****! I didn't know I created another profile...

Okay, I was also a senior in college close to my secondary education in history degree, then I got bored and joined the Marines once I realized how unstructured and lax "society" (ah, I feel like a cliche) has become (I was a substitute teacher, also, so I saw it first hand). All you get is PFC for your college.

As far as your tatoo goes, you usually only need a waiver if they are visible while in uniform. I have a celtic cross with a shamrock on my shoulder and it was no problem. All I had to do was draw it on a piece of paper and they stuck it in my file.

As far as going officer...I am choosing to wait, but I most likely will go. My MOS is helicopter crew chief which will help towards being a pilot.

If you want to join, join. You have plenty of time to do it all--go enlisted, officer, and still teach (with a nice retirement coming in at the same time).

good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-25-08, 02:30 PM
I was only a junior when I enlisted. Wouldn't change a thing. I got bored and enlisted. I had thought about being an officer, but then decided it wasn't for me. The enlisted lifestyle appealed to me more, so I went that direction.

There is nothing wrong with enlisting now. But, you're close to graduation so finishing up wouldn't be terrible. I knew a couple of enlisted guys that had degrees and they seemed perfectly OK with the whole thing. It is just a decision you'll have to make.

One thing to remember, whether you do anything with your degree or not, it is important to have. Even if you quit school now and enlist, finish your education. You may never teach but the paper will help you out whether you do four years in the Marine Corps or 30.

KGunner
11-25-08, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for the replies so far.

Banshee, seems like our situations are/were the same. Thank you for your response, exactly what I was looking for.

Echo, that is a decision I will have to make soon. Thanks for the viewpoint too, I know I wouldn't have any problem being enlisted, and I plan on finishing my education. Just right now I have no motivation other than to get the hell out of college, which it turns out, is glorified daycare for 18-24 year olds.

I drove to the recruiting office today and met the Sgt, they had me take that sample test and upon completion they called the USMC Officer program. I guess I did well, projected ASVAB based on that sample test was 94, not sure what is good or bad or how high you can score, just taking their word for it at this point. I talked to two gentlemen about the officer program and I am very interested at this point. Talked for about an hour and they sent me home with lots of information. The commanding officer here is going to formally interview me and then we will see what happens. It is at that interview that I will determine if I want to be an officer and where they will determine if they want to make me one. I am very excited, as most would be, and looking forward to that interview. Bottom line for me at this point though is at least I will try to become a Marine, officer or otherwise, I know that is what I want, and I strongly feel I can accomplish it.

Banshee
11-25-08, 05:13 PM
I scored a 94 on the ASVAB, not having math for 3 years killed my score (99 is the highest).

I do have to say that while in boot, I somewhat regretted my decision to go enlisted instead of officer. It seemed like I never really fit in with anyone even our instructors. Our Series Commander was the only one I could relate to. But, I think enlisted will be fun and I need to be more hands-on than most officers get a chance to do. Make sure you talk to a few enlisted recruiters also, just so you can see the difference.