PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Range Dittys

brian21johansen
11-25-08, 12:15 PM
I'm heading to the rifle range next week and was trying to remember some of the ditty's they taught us in boot camp. The only one I remember is:

"Thumbscrew, high pocket of shoulder, reach out grab air, high firm pistol grip, stock weld, eye relief, rotate down, adjust"

Does anybody here remember any of the other rifle range ditty's? I know there has gotta be a couple of Marines here who just graduated boot camp with this stuff fresh in their minds......thanks for any help. Also, does anybody remember the rule of "6-4-4"?

:usmc:

Banshee
11-25-08, 01:51 PM
Tell you what, tomorrow I go back to where my seabags are freshly unpacked and spread out all over the floor and I have all my ditties somewhere in that pile. I will find the ones from the range for you.

buick233
11-25-08, 01:57 PM
6-4-4 is how many clicks you adjust the windage knob left to right. At 200 yards, the minimum adjustment is 6 clicks. At 300, 4 is the minimum. At 500, 4 is the minimum.

Crush the weak. Bury the dead.

SGT7477
11-25-08, 02:19 PM
Don't forget trigger squeeze.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-25-08, 02:26 PM
Honestly, don't worry about it. You'll have coaches- they'll help you out. I don't know if you're going to do a grass week, day, or what (different places do different things- or they used to) but you'll be able to get any information you need.

brian21johansen
11-25-08, 02:31 PM
I appreciate the help everyone.

Buick233, what do you mean minimum? It's been over a year so I can't really remember. When it was taught to me it had something to do with that if you moved the windage knob 6-4 or 4 clicks depending on the distance, it would move the impact of the round a certain amount. That certain amount was (I believe) to the outside of the bulls eye on each target if you were hitting center mass. It had something to do with the fact that it was a certain distance between each line on each of the three targets. I gurentee that this sounds EXTREMELY confusing......but if you know exactly what I'm talking about it will make perfect sense. It's a trick people use to adjust their windage only based on where the round impacts on each of the three targets, without having to look at a chart or anything to change the windage.

E4B...........thanks I think your right, but I'm going to be one of the few at the range doing everything EXACTLY the way it was taught to me at boot camp. From what I hear, so many people decide to do things their own way when they get to the fleet. Either that or they are just rusty on the basic fundamentals that were taught to them and do nothing to touch up on their skills

Bonzack
11-25-08, 02:36 PM
Rifle range was my favorite part about boot I think.

I didn't pay attention to the ditties.

The only thing I needed to know was thumbscrew, high pocket of shoulder, high firm pistol grip, rotate down, stockweld, eye relief, slow steady squeeze, 1, 2, click.

Banshee
11-25-08, 02:51 PM
What Buick meant was, that if you were right on the edge of the black the 6-4-4 is what you would adjust to theoretically hit center mass.

Enigmatic
11-25-08, 02:56 PM
Wow....I never remembered any of that stuff...I just went out there, applied the basic fundamentals and shot. I didn't even do grass week my last time on the range and I was a point away from expert.
Like E4B said, some of you young Marines are worrying about it too much.

SGT7477
11-25-08, 03:39 PM
I was an expert the last 2 times at the range and didn't need all this chit, the range coach should get you zeroed in and the rest is up to you, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze, WTF else?

Scottie0417
11-25-08, 03:57 PM
Slingshot, brass check, tap the forward assist, sweep the sights, check the sights, close the ejection port cover...ahhh feels good to be a boot ;)

brian21johansen
11-25-08, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not too worried about the range, as a matter of fact I plan on shooting high expert. An important part of rifle marksmanship is consistency............and ditty's help a lot of people do just that, remain consistent. The rifle range is meant to be a relaxed environment, where you are focused and ready to go. Ditty's allow a lot of people to get into a rhythm and, when used properly allow you to slow down, and think about each and every shot without rushing anything. Furthermore, when used correctly ditty's allow you to complete a "checklist" in your head. They aren't for everybody, but they are for me. I was taught to use ditty's when I shoot, and that's just what I'll do. I guarantee I can shoot well without saying ditty's, but they give me that extra bit of confidence that is needed when handling a weapon.

spotts
11-25-08, 04:09 PM
Do reservists qual every year on the range?

Scottie0417
11-25-08, 04:20 PM
No Corporal, we qual every other year.