PDA

View Full Version : Catt. Co. Girls To Join Marines

thedrifter
11-25-08, 07:46 AM
Catt. Co. Girls To Join Marines
By The Post-Journal Staff,

ELLICOTTVILLE - Three female criminal justice students at the Cattaraugus-Allegany BOCES center at Ellicottville will join the U.S. Marine Corps together after they graduate from high school.

''That's 100 percent of my senior girls,'' said Tim Emley, criminal justice instructor at Ellicottville.

Airel Meyer of Salamanca, Samantha Watkins of Ellicottville and Brittnie Phillips of Cattaraugus-Little Valley will leave Aug. 24, 2009, for basic training. They enrolled in the delayed entry program and, through a ''buddy'' program, may train and be stationed together through their indoctrination.

The girls have taken part in monthly ''pool meetings,'' in which area recruits gather informally, eat Marine food and otherwise get a taste of basic training.

Brittnie said she has known she wanted to join the Marines when she was 10.

''Mr. Emley has definitely encouraged me to follow through,'' she said.

Airel was second, deciding a couple months ago that this was the path for her.

''I'm excited,'' she admitted.

Samantha also became interested after a visit by Marine recruiters a few months back.

The buddy program guarantees that the girls will all go to the Military Entrance Processing Station at the same time, but there's no guarantee they will be in the same platoon. Still, the girls said they hope to stay in the same platoon.

''It kind of gives us a sense of security and support knowing a familiar face will be there,'' Brittnie said. ''We can push each other, which is what we do already in criminal justice.''

''Mr. Emley helps us open our eyes to the things we can do,'' Samantha said.

''He's one of the few people in my life who I listen to,'' Airel said. ''He's tough but fair, and makes me want to better myself.''

''I'm a big time advocate of my students joining the military,'' Emley said. ''I have a lot of guest speakers from all branches. About half my students end up enlisting. After the exercise demands of the Criminal Justice course - plus the classroom material - kids are ready for the mental and physical demands of the service. It didn't surprise me when the girls said they wanted to do this,'' he added. ''They are all bright and very motivated.''torial@post-journal.com

Ellie