PDA

View Full Version : Run times.

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 08:38 PM
I'll be enlisting within the next few months..
My goal at this point in time is Recon... but my run times are lacking.
Beginning of last summer they were 12 minutes per mile.. but I am down to 9 minutes per mile.
Any tips? I run a mile a day on a treadmill.. but something tells me there's something more than just repetition.
Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

SGT7477
11-24-08, 08:52 PM
Ahh Recon and you have not earned our title,lol.

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 09:09 PM
Yes. I'm aware I have a ways to go, but that's been the dream for the last 6 years.
People have told me they don't think I could make it... and I tell 'em to **** off, because nobody gets in the way of my dreams.
I'll earn the title soon enough, if I play my cards right in these last few months of civilian life.

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 09:24 PM
Just don't get ahead of yourself...if you wanna go Recon then so be it but you still have to earn the title which is something that not all people can do. Take it one step at a time

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 09:33 PM
I appreciate the advice.
Right now I'm just trying to get my run times in check.

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 09:36 PM
First thing's first, fill out your profile so we know who you are and so Marines and poolees will take you seriously. Second, if I were you, I'd start running more than a mile per day. When you get to boot camp you're going to be running more than a mile at a time. The PFT is 3 miles so ideally you should be used to running at least 4 or 5 miles at a time by the time you ship. That way, running 3 miles will be easy for you.

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 09:53 PM
I've actually been trying to fill that stuff out.. for some reason it wont let me at this point in time; I'll keep working at it.
4-5 miles straight? I mean I'm not saying it isn't possible, last time I talked to my recruiter about it, he was telling me he just concentrates on one thing, and not the running.. I've been trying that, but I'm not sure if I can run 5 miles straight. I'll give it a shot and let ya know how far I get, thank you for the advice; everything helps.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-08, 09:55 PM
There are many things you can do to improve your times. But if you're only able to run one mile at 9:00 pace- it isn't a speed issue, it is a conditioning issue. Run, and run often. You're going to have to push yourself- that means further and faster.

If you have to run on a treadmill set the elevation to 1%. Flat on a treadmill is too much easier than running. Run 2 miles for a week, 2.5 for a week or so, then up to 3. Once you get there, you can worry about getting your times down. If you're not at 20 pull ups and 100 crunches you're going to have to get that in check as well. A minimum 285 isn't for the unfit among us.

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 10:01 PM
Right now I'm at 10 pullups, and 74 crunches.
I'll use that elevation idea, thank you very much.

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 10:03 PM
You don't have to start running 5 miles right now but it would be a good goal to set your sights on before you ship out to boot camp. Like the Corporal, said start off at 2 miles for a little while then keep working your way up. That will build your endurance and your stamina and get you accustomed to running several miles at a time.

Mikescroggs
11-24-08, 10:06 PM
Yeah, it makes sense..
It just seems much to me, seeing as at the beginning of last summer I was 225... running a 12 minute mile and such. Right now I'm down to 180 pounds, but breathing is a issue for me I think.. I'm trying to take 2 quick breaths when my right foot hits the ground, and exhaling quickly as my right foot hits the ground the time after the first. Filled out the about me section, by the way.

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 10:20 PM
A good thing to do while you're running is just to not focus on your breathing. I consider myself to be in very good shape, always been a natural athlete, and was the fastest guy on the baseball team. The only problem was, I was a sprinter not an endurance runner so I had a heck of a time trying to condition myself for boot camp since I'd get out of breath so quick. During the PFTs in boot camp I would always try to run next to a buddy that I could talk to or I would run on my own and sing a song in my head or something to that effect. Running can be mentally tough, it's all about pushing yourself that extra bit

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-08, 11:33 PM
You need to work on your pull ups and crunches as well. With those numbers even if you run the three miles in 18:00 you're not going to score well enough. In reality, most people need 20/100 there to give themselves a little extra room on the run. Then you could run 20:30 and score the minimum.

Enigmatic
11-25-08, 10:27 AM
I've actually been trying to fill that stuff out.. for some reason it wont let me at this point in time; I'll keep working at it.
4-5 miles straight? I mean I'm not saying it isn't possible, last time I talked to my recruiter about it, he was telling me he just concentrates on one thing, and not the running.. I've been trying that, but I'm not sure if I can run 5 miles straight. I'll give it a shot and let ya know how far I get, thank you for the advice; everything helps.

You want to be Recon and already you're saying "I'm not sure if I can.."? Not saying anyone can just up and run five miles like nothing, but you gotta work at it to get there. Do what you can and progress to running 5 miles consistently.

A mentor and friend of mine, Jim Spivey, is in his 60's, former Marine, retired police chief, and he runs like 2 or 3 marathons a year. If he can do it, you can too. Then again, I did say he's a former Marine.....and you're not :p

Cpl to Civ
11-25-08, 11:01 AM
Yea i def recommned up your milage to at least 15 to 20 miles a week seems like a lot but trust me I was a 16:34 5k and that how you should start out running long one day and just vary day to day but at least one of your days should be devoted to a long run for you 5 to 6 miles. After doing that for a few weeks running in general will get easier..

Pete0331
11-25-08, 01:26 PM
Yea i def recommned up your milage to at least 15 to 20 miles a week seems like a lot...

If he wants to go Recon that's not enough.
The minimum distance you should be running is 3 miles with the most being 9-10 miles. Around 25-30 miles a week.

Running is not where Marines fail, the swimming portion is.

PT twice a day if you have time. Swim in the morning, run in the evening then rotate every week or so while changing the distances.
If you don't have the time to swim, or the opportunity, do the following exercises: Dive Bombers, hello dollys, flutter kicks.
Just remember to make time every week to swim.

Cpl to Civ
11-25-08, 01:37 PM
If he wants to go Recon that's not enough.
The minimum distance you should be running is 3 miles with the most being 9-10 miles. Around 25-30 miles a week.

Running is not where Marines fail, the swimming portion is.

PT twice a day if you have time. Swim in the morning, run in the evening then rotate every week or so while changing the distances.
If you don't have the time to swim, or the opportunity, do the following exercises: Dive Bombers, hello dollys, flutter kicks.
Just remember to make time every week to swim.

Yea you are correct but someone who hasnt even ran 10 miles before shouldnt up to 25- 30 miles a week without training 10-15 becuase he will easliy get injured and wont even be able to suceed. I was trying to elivate any type of injury he could get by starting out slow... But the swimming is the most faliure part i do agree.

Mikescroggs
11-25-08, 09:33 PM
Thank you for the advice.
Let me ask you, would it be smart to go in under a FAST company MOS for a few years before even attempting recon? Or even just straight infantry..

SGT7477
11-25-08, 09:37 PM
Why just go Recon you don't even need boot camp.

Enigmatic
11-25-08, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the advice.
Let me ask you, would it be smart to go in under a FAST company MOS for a few years before even attempting recon? Or even just straight infantry..

There is no "FAST company MOS"....FAST Marines have a Billet MOS of 8152, but so do all Security Forces Marines, it doesn't guarantee you FAST. If you're serious about the whole Recon thing (and most poolees and wannabes think they are until they realize the HARD work it involves) than I would suggest going the regular infantry route. If you consistently outperform your peers in the fleet, then you should look into trying out for Recon or MARSOC.