PDA

View Full Version : If you could tell a recruit one thing

thatguy09
11-24-08, 10:05 AM
To remember/do/not forget to do etc. while in boot camp, what would it be?

Im interested to know what you guys have to say, any and all responses are welcome

Thanks.

SGT7477
11-24-08, 10:17 AM
Do what you are told, listen and do things QUICKLY.

rvillac2
11-24-08, 10:39 AM
Do what you are told, listen and do things QUICKLY.
Exactly.

One of the immediate goals in boot camp is to get you to hear and execute orders immediately, accurately, and without hesitation.

When they say raise your left hand, raise your left hand. Don't be surprised when you see several raise their right hand.

rkidd4
11-24-08, 11:00 AM
The thing I cant reitterate enough is...BOOTCAMP is 90% Mental!!!! I know I was stressing about the physical aspect of bootcamp before I left and when I got there...it wasnt that bad. Stay Motivated, do what youre told when youre told, and dont stress about the yelling...you will get used to it.

BR34
11-24-08, 12:35 PM
I'd tell a recruit to remember boot camp CAN'T possibly last forever. One day the hell HAS to end. And when it does you will probably get a nice reward for all your pains.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-08, 12:46 PM
Everything you do, or are told to do, is for a reason. Sitting indian style left over right serves a purpose. Just do it and let it all make sense later.

DD88
11-24-08, 01:00 PM
Ears open, and do what you are told to do. Immediately. And ask no questions.

re8elmonk0341
11-24-08, 03:11 PM
You'll LOVE peanut butter and bread.

SGT7477
11-24-08, 03:48 PM
I'd tell a recruit to remember boot camp CAN'T possibly last forever. One day the hell HAS to end. And when it does you will probably get a nice reward for all your pains.

Like No Pain No Gain.:evilgrin:

bonnjanry
11-24-08, 03:56 PM
You'll LOVE peanut butter and bread.

OH YES. :banana:

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 04:10 PM
There's a method to all the madness...if something seems stupid, remember there's a reason for it. The Marine Corps has had 233 years to perfect their training of recruits, trust what they teach you there even if it does seem silly.

Banshee
11-24-08, 04:27 PM
don't try to explain ANYTHING. no one cares, it just wastes time and ****es everyone off. also, don't argue with the stupid belligerent recruits, it's not worth it.

DIUSMC
11-24-08, 04:39 PM
Keep the mouth closed, eyes and ears open and be as invisible as humanly possible. Stay as motivated as you can and NEVER fake anything you do, it will be noted! Like I heard mentioned before, it's all mental and doesn't last forever!

thatguy09
11-24-08, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies you guys, it is really appreciated. :)

Sgt Jim
11-24-08, 07:53 PM
Do not use the words,you ,I or me when speaking to your DI,s

temarti
11-24-08, 10:25 PM
Never take anything personal

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 10:30 PM
Never take anything personal

You hit the nail on the head, Corporal. I thought my J-Hat hated me, gave me sh!t every single day and was constantly on my azz for every single thing. On family day, I went and shook his hand and talked to him. Turned out to be a totally down to earth guy and was very laid back. He told me he gave me a hard time because he knew I could overcome challenges and that he knew I'd make a good Marine. I was so certain he hated me, I told my parents to go ahead because I didn't want them to meet him. He asked me where my family was, told me he wanted to meet them and tell them I was a pleasure to train haha

ecfree
11-24-08, 10:33 PM
Do not use the words,you ,I or me when speaking to your DI,s

Also,never use the word CAN'T....:evilgrin:

Scottie0417
11-24-08, 10:35 PM
Got that right ecfree...the word "can't" doesn't exist there

outlaw3179
11-24-08, 11:25 PM
Never teabag a cannibal.

sparkie
11-25-08, 06:06 AM
DON'T bend over in the shower.,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,Oh, yea,,,, Thats Navy.

Fubar5812
11-25-08, 09:24 AM
LMAO sparkie!!!

move fast,sound the hell off and remember why your there.its easy to forget sometimes.

THAT AINT IT
11-25-08, 09:37 AM
Nothing is ever as bad as it seems, most of the stuff is only as hard as you make it.
Things always get worse before they get better.
Remember that your drill instructors were in your shoes at one point.
Chow to Chow and Sunday to Sunday...that makes it fly by.

SGT7477
11-25-08, 09:47 AM
Also,never use the word CAN'T....:evilgrin:

You got that right Brother, I remember our series Gunny saying, Can't Means Won't, Won't Means Jail. I can remember him saying that like it was yesterday GYSGT Huff and man did he look like a bulldog,lmfao.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-25-08, 09:50 AM
You hit the nail on the head, Corporal. I thought my J-Hat hated me, gave me sh!t every single day and was constantly on my azz for every single thing. On family day, I went and shook his hand and talked to him. Turned out to be a totally down to earth guy and was very laid back. He told me he gave me a hard time because he knew I could overcome challenges and that he knew I'd make a good Marine. I was so certain he hated me, I told my parents to go ahead because I didn't want them to meet him. He asked me where my family was, told me he wanted to meet them and tell them I was a pleasure to train haha

I have a good friend who was a DI and he said they would laugh their asses off at things like that.

UsmcMotorT
11-25-08, 10:38 AM
Stay away from half rations!

sim37
11-25-08, 12:49 PM
No matter what you do, the f*** f*** games will occur. How quickly you move and how your attitude is towards the games will determine how bad it will be. Once you realize this the games become easier, and remember they all have a meaning.

NoRemorse
11-28-08, 07:35 AM
... always offer the D.I. a piece of cake in the chow hall...

sparkie
11-28-08, 07:37 AM
Avoid 'Group Hugs'.

Marine84
11-28-08, 10:43 PM
DON'T EAT THE BANANAS! Oh..................wrong thread.

NEVER call a DI "you" or you'll get that whole "Recruit So and So thinks I look like a female sheep! You got a thing for sheep son?" routine.

Marine84
11-28-08, 10:44 PM
OH! And be afraid!

echo3oscar1833
11-29-08, 12:32 PM
When i doubt ask a question, you may get your a$$ chewed for asking a question. However don't take it personal, at least you will know the answer. If they don't give you the answer, and tell you to go fu#$ away cause it was a stupid question, don't take that personal either :D

OldGruntNamVet
11-29-08, 10:33 PM
Just Remember as long as you are there. Your DI's are there to make you a Marine. To teach you about the Corps and how to conduct yourself while wearing the uniform of the Proudest and Most Respected fighting force in the USA for over 233 years. Everyone in this post have given you all great info and tips. HEED THEM AND YOU WILL come out on top. Remember the only reason you have a DI in your face is because they have a very short time span to mold you all into a Real Marine. They would fail if they didn't put you on the right path to your career with the Corps. Believe me you all will respect and admire your DI's at graduation and throught your careers in the Corps.

:usmc:...Semper Fi...Jim :usmc:

echo3oscar1833
11-29-08, 11:05 PM
Focus on why you are there, and why you came there. Remember that you were the one that chose to be there. You wanted to become a Marine, in this day with an all volunteer Military no one forced you to the Marine Corps. Take everything with a grain of salt, as the DI's are doing there job to make you a Basic Marine. Also don't focus on the politics whatever they may be. Worry about your objectives, fellow recruits, and yourself. When you are standing on that parade deck after three months of the most intense thing that has happened in that point of your life, and you can say you apart of something few can claim, and that Is the Title of United States Marine!!! Semper Fi

:usmc::marine:

Wyoming
11-29-08, 11:14 PM
Just Remember as long as you are there. Your DI's are there to make you a Marine. To teach you about the Corps and how to conduct yourself while wearing the uniform of the Proudest and Most Respected fighting force in the USA for over 233 years. Everyone in this post have given you all great info and tips. HEED THEM AND YOU WILL come out on top. Remember the only reason you have a DI in your face is because they have a very short time span to mold you all into a Real Marine. They would fail if they didn't put you on the right path to your career with the Corps. Believe me you all will respect and admire your DI's at graduation and throught your careers in the Corps.

:usmc:...Semper Fi...Jim :usmc:

Yep, what was writ!!!

tac109
11-30-08, 04:07 AM
Never ask to make a head call at the begining of basic, unless its a dire emergency, the first names the D.I.s will learn are the recruits who ask to make a head call 5 times a day. The key is to go as long as you can without them learning your name, the first names they learn are the names they shout out to get on the quarter deck