PDA

View Full Version : Paganella: Christmas in Iraq

thedrifter
11-23-08, 07:55 AM
Paganella: Christmas in Iraq

By Nick Paganella/Daily News columnist
GateHouse News Service
Posted Nov 23, 2008 @ 12:14 AM

Hi everyone, this is from a friend, Richard Jones, whose son is with 1/3 (1st Marines - 3rd Battalion) in Iraq:

"The Holidays are fast approaching and soon we’ll see all the festive decorations across the landscapes and in stores etc. It’s also a time to think of our troops overseas who don’t have access to this wonderful time of year, visually speaking. So I ask everyone to put together a box of cheap ornaments, candy canes, LED Christmas lights [not requiring power], stockings etc. you get the drift, to send to Iraq.

"Dustin said they were making plans to decorate their camp for the holidays, but all they have is sand. So if you want to help out, making Christmas in Iraq a merry one. Send whatever you can to:

Lance Corporal Jones, Dustin C
1/3 H&S Company
Snipers 44015
FPO-AP 96607-4015

"If you go to the post office they will give you a box for overseas free, tell them it’s the $10.95 military rate. Folks we’re talking dollar store cheap stuff, nothing fancy. DJ will pass out the decorations to all the Marines in his squad. DJ doesn’t know anything about this; maybe we can surprise him and the rest with some holiday fun. My wife, friends and I want to get a Christmas stocking filled for every Marine in Dustin, my son’s, platoon. My goal here is to make sure EVERYONE is included, not just a lucky few who happen to be spoiled by family and friends.

"My son Dustin, we call him DJ, he is an accomplished athlete; the regional champion in gymnastics, played football, lacrosse, swimming, ski racing and the list goes on. His college education was paid in full by my wife and me. DJ wanted to do something to make a difference, so he enlisted in the Marines without telling us! We were at first p----- off and could not understand his motives. He said he needed to do something for his country and change the world!

"He set goals for himself and went to boot camp to be a squad leader. He set a high goal for physical fitness and excels in general. He was a squad leader in two weeks, and set the 4th highest PFI (physical fitness test) of 550 Marines to qualify for the elite 285 club. PFT is physical fitness test. It’s a big deal in the Marines. A perfect score is 300, no one gets a 300, however Dustin got a 294, 4th highest of 550 recruits. Any Marine who scores higher than a 285 becomes a member of the 285 club. They give you a special plaque and mention at the graduation ceremony. Dustin was the only non ROTC recruit to be promoted to PFC, private first class, graduating from boot camp. Dustin’s home town is Amherst, N.H.

"Next he wanted to qualify for Marine sniper, which he did; He is now a Marine sniper in Fallujah and is much psyched about his mission. He speaks Arabic and Farsi, as he has been taught this when they realized how bright he is despite signing up when he could be relying on his parents and going to college. Dustin is my exceptional son and it blows my mind that his choice was Marines. No insult to the Marines, but he always wanted to be an Air Force pilot, which as you know requires a college education. For your readers this kid has everything going for him, free college on me etc, however he chose to defend this country and make a difference.

"When DJ ends his four-year tour he will assess his experience and decide whether to make a career out of this. He initially wanted to be an officer but wanted to start at the ground level to really understand the system. Nick, this kid is a rock climber, sky diver, your basic dare devil. He thinks he’s invincible, remember when you were 20? Well, he turns 21 - 12/11/08 - in Iraq and I’m sure he will remember that. A great place to turn 21, in Fallujah, Iraq.

"America should be proud that we have KIDS and he’s still my kid in my mind, to defend us. I will try to send some photos. Well I will try to attach, I’m a computer rookie. DJ has been deployed since July. Tell your readers that the Iraqis really appreciate us being there. Dustin speaks Arabic and talks to the kids and locals. They really appreciate what America has done. NO BS my son would tell me if this was not so. I have to send him candy, for the kids every month so he can spread the fun around...

"Anyway, thanks for helping out OUR TROOPS and MARINES!"

Anyone in MetroWest and the Milford area is encouraged to send veteran’s news to antrim@rcn.com or call or FAX 508-872-5895. Framingham resident Nick Paganella is a veteran of the Korean War.

Ellie