PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

06 Stang
11-21-08, 09:06 PM
Hello all Marines,

I've lurked here for a while and have finally decided to post.

I'll start off by saying all I've accomplished so far is the practice ASVAB, signing up for the physical (I've got the flu, and the recruiter doesn't want them to fail me), and passed a drug test. I've spoken to many Marines, because this is a huge decision for my life. Everyone I've spoken with has said that it's the best move they have made in their entire lives. The Marine corps will set me up for life. I can become a career Marine, or I can go into the civilian world and get any job that I want (State Trooper, then FBI).

After saying all of that, I've scored an 82 on my practice ASVAB. I'm going take it Monday along with the Physical. I have signed up as a reserve, but I feel like I am cheating myself. I originally wanted to join as an active, and moreover a grunt. The recruiter put the idea into my head to go into Intelligence. The Marine corps training will automatically put me head and shoulders above most. Beyond that, a background in intelligence with the greatest fighting force in the world will be more than enough in the civilian world.

A wise man I spoke to from the Army told me his story. He went to the Army recruiter, and was offered $10,000 and a spot with the Army Rangers. He went to the Marine recruiter after, and asked him what the Marines could offer him. The recruiter said "I can offer you the title of Marine. Discipline, respect, and a brotherhood you will get nowhere else." The recruit joined the Army, did not get into the Rangers, and feels mislead and like he signed his life away.

But back to my story, the current path I have chosen is to do 6 years reserve, 2 years inactive reserve. Once I get out of my MOS I plan on doing the PLC. Once I get out of college, I plan on either going active duty, or serving out my entire 8 year contract and re-signing as reserve. The reserves are going to give me an opportunity to get my foot in the door, get the discipline, respect, and a sense of brotherhood, and allow me to immediately join the police force when I return.

Some questions now:
What should I bring for boot?
What are some tips on ranking up in boot?
Do the active Marines look down upon reservist Marines?
Is there any advice you can give me, or any questions I should ask the recruiter? I've covered pretty much all of the bases. I'm not looking for money, if I were I'd join another branch. If they are paying you that much money to get you to join (I'm looking at you Army), there is obviously not much glamor associated with that job. I'm not looking for great living quarters and conditions, if I were I'd join the Navy or Air Force. I'm looking to straighten out.

Thank all of you in advance, and thank all of you for serving our country. I refuse to say I'm a Poolee, and dare not say I'm a Marine. Not until I go through it, and I prove to myself that I am worth the title. After lurking for a while, I have realized that some here can be harsh and deter potential recruits. No matter what you say to me, it will only get me more excited. The more I hear about 70lb boots, the crucible, and everything else, the more I want to finish the process of the paperwork. I've got my flamesuit on. Shoot away!

ecfree
11-21-08, 09:13 PM
06stang......PROFILE UP....:evilgrin:

06 Stang
11-21-08, 09:18 PM
Tried. I'm stealing internet. I'll have to do it when I get back on campus.

If this helps -
Age 19
School(s) University of Southern Mississippi, University of New Orleans
Location New Orleans, La
Gender M
Race W

Anything else?

Marine84
11-21-08, 10:13 PM
You're tired? You should be after typing all that crap above.

And, no, the little bit of info you just typed in ain't quite enough. So, I'm just going to pop popcorn for the room and sit back and laugh my a$$ off while you get yourself a new one reamed.

Thanks for stopping by. Sparkie - don't that screen name smell of fish to you?

MintusMaximus
11-22-08, 12:20 AM
Some questions now:
What should I bring for boot?

The stuff your recruiter tells you to. T-shirt...pants...wallet.

What are some tips on ranking up in boot?

... Don't suck at life. Most likely if your a buddy ****er you can get PFC or Lance Cooly.

Do the active Marines look down upon reservist Marines?

Depends. You arn't a FLEET Marine so yeah I really don't consider you on the same level as us. However those that go on deployments and have been in theater i'll give kudos to.

Is there any advice you can give me, or any questions I should ask the recruiter? I've covered pretty much all of the bases. I'm not looking for money, if I were I'd join another branch. If they are paying you that much money to get you to join (I'm looking at you Army), there is obviously not much glamor associated with that job. I'm not looking for great living quarters and conditions, if I were I'd join the Navy or Air Force. I'm looking to straighten out.

Well if I understood your long...long post correctly? You plan to go through the reserves to get used to being a Marine so that when you enter the PLC and geta commision you would be considered a 'Stang' ? Am I correct? Well no... no ...and lastly no. Reservists are usually fat civilians in uniform. *sad to sad but... the ones i've met who come out to Oki on their 'field trips' are pretty heinous.* Also being a reservist you get NO experience what so ever... by that I mean life as a fleet Marine is 100% different. You would still be a Bootenant.

rvillac2
11-22-08, 02:17 AM
Wow, Mintus. So wise with only 2 yrs in, huh? You barely found the chow hall. Welcome to the board and maybe when you grow up, you'll find out that your overgeneralizations about the Reserve component are just that, overly general.

Mindgame
11-22-08, 02:40 AM
Funny thing is I just got to my Reservist unit, and found only about 4 people overweight. 1 who just did her last drill last week, one other getting out in a month, and the other 2 SNCO's.

Yes, we don't get as much training, thats the only thing I don't care about being a reservist. But, I still stand by my decision on being a reservist. I signed up for the chance to fight. Id rather keep my job, then work in garrison. I just miss being around my Marine buddys.

CplKJSpevak
11-22-08, 03:08 AM
Do Active Duty Marines look down on Marines in the Reserves?

Well, When I was in (Active Duty) Me and the Marines I associated with didn't really ever talk about it much. But now 12 years out, I've learned that when you graduate bootcamp your a Marine! That's it!.....
Anyone who tells you anything else is being ignorant, There are plenty of ****birds on active duty, and squared away Devil Dogs in the Reserves.
It does sound funny that you might want to work for the FBI but your stealing internet LOL.....Good luck to you man, It sounds like you thinking, and planning this out in a smart way! Go Earn it!

BR34
11-22-08, 04:09 PM
Does MarForRes Marines' cammies say "U.S. MARINES: RESERVE" or "U.S. MARINES"?

Every single question you asked has been covered in detail already. Try searching!

OldGruntNamVet
11-22-08, 07:33 PM
By completing Boot Camp you have the proud distinction of wearing the Uniform Proudly and being called a Marine. That being said, What is a few years to be able to get the true taste of "The Corps" ....No I am not a recruiter, I am a 59 year old Marine from the Nam era. and you could say I grew up in the Corps. Hell I still bleed those colors !!! OooohRahhh. What ever you decide you can be assured you will have the best training possible of any armed force

:usmc: ...Semper Fi...Jim :flag:

rvillac2
11-22-08, 10:23 PM
OOOHRah and Semper Fi, Staff Sgt!

06 Stang
11-24-08, 12:59 PM
Thank all of you for your quick responses. It is much appreciated. I'll be shipping out in 2009 for boot. My profile is updated.

By completing Boot Camp you have the proud distinction of wearing the Uniform Proudly and being called a Marine. That being said, What is a few years to be able to get the true taste of "The Corps" ....No I am not a recruiter, I am a 59 year old Marine from the Nam era. and you could say I grew up in the Corps. Hell I still bleed those colors !!! OooohRahhh. What ever you decide you can be assured you will have the best training possible of any armed force

:usmc: ...Semper Fi...Jim :flag:

I agree sir, I'm just doing the reserves until I finish college. After I do the PLC I may be a "Bootenant" with no respect ... But respect is earned, not given.

Thank all of you for your service, this website is a great resource. Every question I have thought of was answered somewhere on this forum. Thanks for listening to my story, :thumbup:.