PDA

View Full Version : What inspired you to become a Marine?

Lucky13
11-21-08, 04:59 PM
Hmmm... how to start? As a child from what I can remember I dreamed of war and the world comming to an end. My father was a Vietnam Vet he told me his first story when I was playing with little plastic soldiers one night ( I was probally around 3 years of age ) it sticks with me. He was probally high on some sort of drug and drunk aswell. But its somthing I never forget. All my life I wanted to be a soldier to fight and kill. I don't know why can't exsplain it. Before I was in kindergarden I had shot sawed off shotguns, pistols and semi automatic rifles. My father came back from Nam what some would call a nut case... He dealed dope and that aswell I knew better than my abc's still not even in school yet. Growing up I was never aloud to ware camoflauge but could play war with my plastic M-16 guns. My father always told me to never trust the Govt. I smoked my first joint with my dad by the time I was four years of age and had tried cigarettes with beer comming in a few years down the road. We never left home with out a complete set of arisonal and drugs. By the time I was in kindergarden I got my 1st bloody nose standing up for the underdog being bullied by two kids. All through school I found myself in that situation. Cutting the story short, I finally have my 1st memories of my mothers dad a cpl in the USMC he faught in Korea he told me to never ever join the Corp. all you will do is dig ditches thats all he ever told me I wish i could of learned more about him besides being in paris island and Korea.. When I hit 4th grade I stopped at a USMC recruiters office he made me push and such and then gave me this poster that I still have today of a US Marine in deuce gear holding a M-16 ( I think its dicontinued because after the shot he went A-wall and ended up in the Brig). (funny thing about that poster is everyone said I was a spitting image of this guy all through my years in the Corp. they even wrote my name on the poster) I hung that poster proudly in my bedroom and promised myself I would be that guy one day. By the time I hit high school I wanted to graduate early to join the Military and my father the Army dog he was..... said go Marines he said they are the best and eat better. LoL whatever but my parents would not let me garduate early and join at 17. So I graduated, 2 months later I had assaults on police officers and battery along with criminal tresspassing. I became a target for my cities police, year later underage drinking x 3 and another assault on a police officer. By this time I owned around 8 sks's an ak47, mini 14 several shotguns and was heading down the wrong road. I had a tattoo on the side of my head and a rap sheet a mile long. What had happened??? I forgot about who I really wanted to be. I believed in justice, freedom, and the right to do whatever you wanted. Kicked out of my home and no place to go I Joined the Corp. I thank the Corp. for every moment I spent with them. I miss serving the Corp. it never changed me but it gave me a reason to change. If not for the Corp. I would probally be dead like most of my friends I grew up with. I am thank for all my Brothers and Sisters and all my hard knocks in life that have gotten me to where I am today. This may not sound inspiration but its to hard to put it all into words... All I can say is OooRah to all of you reading this.

OLE SARG
11-21-08, 07:16 PM
Great story Dan!!

SEMPER FI,

FistFu68
11-21-08, 07:48 PM
:usmc: I JOINED SO I WOULD NOT GO 2 PRISON 4SNUFFING DRUG DEALING SCUM :usmc: :iwo:

mcvet57103
11-21-08, 10:39 PM
My Father was a Marine. I spent my entire life up to when I enlisted trying to make my Dad proud of at least one of his 7 kids. He incouraged me to join after I had sent in a post card inquiring to the Marine Corps abour enlisting. When I enlisted, went to boot, and came home on leave, I saw in my Dad's eyes a spark that wasn't there before. I made my Dad proud for the first time in 17 years. That made boot worth all the B.S. My dad spent the next 4 years bragging about me. Made the first 17 years of my life worth it. Up until my dad's passing away, because of my service in the Marines, he valued my opinion, and I became his favorite. I spent my life trying to get my dad's respect, and when I became a Marine, I finally got it. Looking back, I realize he was holding me to a higher standard than my siblings because he knew I had it in me to be one of the finest. Semper Fi dad, I love you, and thank you for being such a hard azz.

E5NAMKROW
11-21-08, 11:27 PM
I joined the Marine Corps because the Army recruiter was late to meet me 3 times in a row. Marine recruiter was always early. My time to me was and always will be worth more to me then money. Other way around and i would have been Army strong. That simple. OORAH

nptwildcat
11-22-08, 05:40 PM
They took the hostages in Iran. I came from a family that stepped up when anyone screwed with America. Dad, Uncles, brothers all army. Cousins, navy and air farce. I went straight to the Marine recruiter and signed the papers when I turned 18. I told my dad that I was going to be one of the best. He said something about it not being a rose garden. I remember seeing that poster in the recriuters office and thought it was fate. My dad bragged to everyone about his son, the Marine. Now I find myself doing the same thing, bragging about my son, the Marine!

ecfree
11-22-08, 09:13 PM
Okay,I'll confess.....It Was ...................................
THE DUKE....;)

mcvet57103
11-22-08, 09:16 PM
Okay,I'll confess.....It Was ...................................
THE DUKE....;)OooooRaaaaH!!!!!

BR34
11-23-08, 06:29 PM
I had a good job but no health care for my son. I was living in a state with the 49th worst public education system. I figured I HAVE to join the military to remedy those two situations. I figured while I was at it I'd pick the best of the best.

USMCmailman
11-23-08, 09:26 PM
I came from a Military family. My Dad was an Army Officer, His brother was a Marine in World War II. My brother was in the Navy during the 1960's Cuban deal. I joined the Marine Corps because I knew I was going to Nam and I wanted to come back-----alive!
seemed to work well for me !!!!!!!OOOOOOOOOORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky13
12-05-08, 08:23 PM
Good stuff!! I waited until today to read feedback, I was kinda affraid I would get some negativity because of my background. I later had regreted the post. Take care Brothers and Sisters!!!!

Marine84
12-05-08, 08:58 PM
Men in Blues :banana:

CCraddock
12-05-08, 10:15 PM
Well one of my "Brothers" on my fire dept became a Marine and is currently in Iraq. I have always wanted to serve my country but couldnt make up my mind. Along with everyone telling me I could never make it into the military, let alone the Marines, it just gave me even more motivation to do it. I wanna be apart of the Best, be challenged, and have a career that i could be proud of.

zramey
12-07-08, 10:41 AM
My daddy always told me I was a bum and never going to make anything of myself and I reckon I started believing him so when I graduated high school I went to the recruiter told him I wanted to be something and he told me he had just the place. Two broken bones and three months later there I stood on the parade deck knowing I had become something. Now I'm about to graduate from college and my life has purpose. I'll never be able to thank the Marine Corps enough for making me who I am.

OldGruntNamVet
12-08-08, 12:03 AM
Being raised in a small S.W. Penna. town of approx 700 people, I was somewhat a country boy who would listen to the reports on the radio and the news about Vietnam and how the communist north was trying to take over the free people in the south. To make a long story short while in H.S. in 1967 I and my best friend wanted to do our part to stop the communists. We wanted to Join the best fighting force so here I still am. My Best Friend L/Cpl Larry Eans was KIA in Dec.68. Three days after I came back to the country. He is now standing guard waiting for us all up at the gates...Semper Fi Brothers

tripledog
12-08-08, 08:40 PM
My story is typical of 50s-60s stories.

I was the kid that your mother never wanted you to meet, let alone bring home. I ran a gang, stole, fought, broke laws, a really bad ass (So I thought). Finally after years of juvenile homes, jail, etc. , I was caught in a stolen car. Taken before the same ole sorry judge (I thought), he explained he was tired of seeing me. So, he gave me a choice, Prison (I was over 16 then) or the service. I choose the service.

Now my uncle was in the Army, another in the Navy , one is the Coast Guard and the sgt of the police dept was in the Marines. All my uncles raved about their branch of the service and how good it was. Liberty every night, women, booze, women, booze, women, liberty, did I mention women?

Not that dam sgt of the police. He told me under no uncertain terms, NEVER EVER, even think about the Marines. They would kill me he said. No liberty, no booze, no women.

Knowing how smart I was and how DUMB he was, I went right down and signed up for the Marines.

The rest is history..............THANK YOU JUDGE AND THANK YOU SGT.

iamarepublican
12-08-08, 08:48 PM
(I know I'm not a Marine yet, but I like this thread)
Theres a lot of reasons
politics
history
tradition
brotherhood/ unity
respect/values/priorities/ standards/beliefs
The feeling of serving my country for OUR freedoms

but a funny reason why....
the opening scene to "Full Metal Jacket"
Then again, who doesn't get motivated after watching that movie?!?!

kingcobra316
12-08-08, 09:00 PM
with a real first name like GOMER, the marinecorps was the only branch that sounded right

gomer pyle usaf I dont think so have never regretted going in

USMC OORAH SEMPER FI DO OR DIE

mcvet57103
12-08-08, 09:21 PM
with a real first name like GOMER, the marinecorps was the only branch that sounded right

gomer pyle usaf I dont think so have never regretted going in

USMC OORAH SEMPER FI DO OR DIEOoooooh now that's rich. ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

SGTBrentG
12-08-08, 11:27 PM
Wow....I don't think my story will stand up to some of these, but....when I was a senior in HS I went to my guidance counsellor who told me that I didn't make good enough grades for scholarships. Coming from a family that didn't have a pot to **** in, I figured I'd take a shot at the military. My family had a history of service in the US Army, both world wars, viet nam, etc, etc. I started noticing commercials about the Marine Corps and figured they were the absolute best and if I was going to do it, that's what I'd do. I went to my recruiter, he didn't come to me. I had an uncle that motivated me when he told me that I didn't have what it takes to be a Marine. The day I left for bootcamp was the first time I ever saw my grandfather show emotion (WWII Big Red One!). When I saw the tear stream down his cheek I knew I had made the right choice. God rest his soul, I know he was proud of me, my mom was proud and you know what.....she still is to this day, as am I. I'm not as lean, not as mean, but I am still a Marine. And those dress blues still hang in my closet, to never be touched by anyone but me! Hooorah!

NoRemorse
12-09-08, 07:22 AM
I had mulled over enlisting in the Army at the age of 17. My parents wouldn't sign off on it. When I was old enough and tired of being listless 24/7 I went to see an Army recruiter. He wasn't there but a Marine recruiter was.

I thought about all those commercials the other services had and figured out why the Marines didn't have so many. We sure as **** didn't need 'em. We were, are, and shall always remain a breed apart.

They didn't promise me a rose garden, but they did teach me self-respect, accountability, love of God, Country and Corps; and what it means to be a real red-blooded American.

Definitely not something I saw enough of in New York (still not enough of it here).

thewookie
12-09-08, 07:49 AM
The judge inspired me, or the possiblity of jail actually, but he "directed" me and then I found my inspiration on the Island.

My inspiration on the Island was in the form of 4, bad-azz muscle-bound men who were wearing Smokey bears.

You must constantly seek out inspiration in life or you will fail, and become stale.

UsmcMotorT
12-09-08, 11:07 AM
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'd take over.

usmc0331
12-09-08, 02:24 PM
I had no family in the military at all. One day when I was in 7th grade my mom heard about the "young marines" program. Until that time I didnt even know really about the marines or anything. I was honor grad for my rec platoon in young marines and excelled in the program. stayed in the program until I was 18(senior year) with the rank of SSGT. Once I hit high school I knew I wanted to be a Marine and here we are today! semper fi!:flag:

rheinmark187
12-09-08, 08:21 PM
I had a lot of family in foreign military services or paramilitary if I remember correctly. I wanted something different and the Air Force recruiter made it sound like a corporation and the army recruiter could barely speak English. An aquaintance gave me the number of his recruiter and I brought a buddy along and was immediately sold.

Oddly enough, I didn't find out until AFTER I had signed the contract that I had a 1st and 2nd cousin who were active duty Marine Officers. One of them was even stationed on the same base as me at one time. He gave me some good advice and is still on active duty now.

To top it off, my parents are kind of hippy nature lovers (not the self-hating Berkley liberal type) and it was just a big shock for them and me.

rossmuten
12-09-08, 10:30 PM
From my personal experience the Marine Corps wasn't my first decision I wanted to go airforce but I didnt have a citizenship. My experience was alright nothing special got a njp and a re 4 . Still got out honorably and now awaiting disabilities from comp and pension about my disability claim. I always felt like the Marine Corps should really do a better job of wanting to keep Marines rather than just create Marines. The retention rate sucks and personally I kinda know why sucky chowhall, sucky barracks,field day b.s,have to over complicate your life just to go to school,**** detail and working parties. Whatever doesnt bother me much as it used to.

rossmuten
12-09-08, 10:35 PM
I just feel like enough with the over glorification of simple things. the silent drill team woah can twirl their rifles yippie skippy. Bruce lee can use two nunchuks . Big fricken deal. I for one think that poolees should really harp on their marine recruiters to really give them what is theirs and what they want for only then can there be change within the ranks of the Corps. If poolees tell Marine recruiters to go to hell then the Marine corps would start changing because there wouldnt be any recruits for the Corps bootcamp . Seriously the Corps has got to stop making themselves to be bigger then they are and this is coming from a former Marine. Ok we get the point!

rheinmark187
12-10-08, 05:59 AM
I just feel like enough with the over glorification of simple things. the silent drill team woah can twirl their rifles yippie skippy. Bruce lee can use two nunchuks . Big fricken deal. I for one think that poolees should really harp on their marine recruiters to really give them what is theirs and what they want for only then can there be change within the ranks of the Corps. If poolees tell Marine recruiters to go to hell then the Marine corps would start changing because there wouldnt be any recruits for the Corps bootcamp . Seriously the Corps has got to stop making themselves to be bigger then they are and this is coming from a former Marine. Ok we get the point!

Did you immigrate from Europe or Australia?

I thought the same thing too about the silent drill team and a lot of the pomp and circumstance. It seemed silly as hell to me too, especially seeing that my family in foreign militaries never did any of that stuff. It was like they were training Marines to be the world's toughest marching band with all the dumb crap.

I know the Australians are hardcore and they don't get bent out of shape over silly stuff.

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 06:25 AM
Did you immigrate from Europe or Australia?

I thought the same thing too about the silent drill team and a lot of the pomp and circumstance. It seemed silly as hell to me too, especially seeing that my family in foreign militaries never did any of that stuff. It was like they were training Marines to be the world's toughest marching band with all the dumb crap.

I know the Australians are hardcore and they don't get bent out of shape over silly stuff.Their are so many issues in this and the post before it for me address. But I'm sure a few others will. What comes to mind though is no one made you join, or in the case of the previous post f--kup. To blame the Corps for their traditions is stupid to say the least. The corps doesn't need to change, people like you need to. Your attitude is BS. In the corps attitude is everything. If you had a bad experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. Tradition and formallity is extremely important. Lose our traditions and we lose our superiority, pride, and morale. Look at where the other services have gone by trying to be PC, and babying their members.

sparkie
12-10-08, 06:57 AM
Rosmutin,,,,,, You a little ticked over bein a PFC after 10 years in? Awwwwwww.
Your attitude is about as good as your profile,,,, and from where I stand,,, you smell fishy as helll.

Where did you boot? Yuma?

mgkusmc
12-10-08, 07:55 AM

Can you twirl and M1 Garand like that? All the branches have drill teams, all the branches have something that may seem silly because they seem like a glorified marching band.....those are called being good PR....thats public relations for you barney-fied people out there....All militarys have something that is meant to be flashy for the public its not just a US thing. Just because we are proud of them doesnt make us dumb or anything of the sort...I'm just as proud of a Silent Drill Team member as I am a fresh Marine off the depot. Why? Because they are a Marine. And yes I believe the US Marine is a bigger and badder creature than any other on this earth. And I'm sure you'll find that in any branch, why? Espirit de corps. Pride in what you do. You're a brother Marine, I honor you....but honestly just like I would tell any brother or sister....if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all...

so I'm going to ask you no wait since your profile says that you are still in service and that you are a PFC (since 1998) I'm going to pull rank on you (and I hate to do it to) PFC, Either shape up now or get off the forum...because we will not tolerate your attitude.

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 08:10 AM
Rosmutin,,,,,, You a little ticked over bein a PFC after 10 years in? Awwwwwww.
Your attitude is about as good as your profile,,,, and from where I stand,,, you smell fishy as helll.

Where did you boot? Yuma?:thumbup:

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 08:11 AM
Can you twirl and M1 Garand like that? All the branches have drill teams, all the branches have something that may seem silly because they seem like a glorified marching band.....those are called being good PR....thats public relations for you barney-fied people out there....All militarys have something that is meant to be flashy for the public its not just a US thing. Just because we are proud of them doesnt make us dumb or anything of the sort...I'm just as proud of a Silent Drill Team member as I am a fresh Marine off the depot. Why? Because they are a Marine. And yes I believe the US Marine is a bigger and badder creature than any other on this earth. And I'm sure you'll find that in any branch, why? Espirit de corps. Pride in what you do. You're a brother Marine, I honor you....but honestly just like I would tell any brother or sister....if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all...

so I'm going to ask you no wait since your profile says that you are still in service and that you are a PFC (since 1998) I'm going to pull rank on you (and I hate to do it to) PFC, Either shape up now or get off the forum...because we will not tolerate your attitude.:thumbup:

NoRemorse
12-10-08, 09:29 AM
The Marines don't do over-glorification. Everyday in the Corps you bear witness to the glories of life through those Gyrene goggles.

Those very same goggles are standard issue for everyone who gets to the grinder and receives their EGA. Those two posts smell beyond fishy. Anyone suggesting that we lower our standards and let the poolees run the recruitment process is smoking something that's been 50 cut with crap.

This right here, this feeling in my gut, the pride in my chest, the snap in my step, and the love I have for my brothers and sisters in green: that's why I joined our Beloved Marine Corps. That they all accepted me is a testament to my fortitude for withstanding the punishment and their fortitude for never letting up.

OOHRAH!!!

tripledog
12-10-08, 02:16 PM
"Their are so many issues in this and the post before it for me address. But I'm sure a few others will. What comes to mind though is no one made you join, or in the case of the previous post f--kup. To blame the Corps for their traditions is stupid to say the least. The corps doesn't need to change, people like you need to. Your attitude is BS. In the corps attitude is everything. If you had a bad experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. Tradition and formallity is extremely important. Lose our traditions and we lose our superiority, pride, and morale. Look at where the other services have gone by trying to be PC, and babying their members."

Get your sorry ass out of my Marines and go back to wherever you came from. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Gunner 0313
12-10-08, 02:38 PM
Rossmuten

:flag: Unfortunately the internet provides a forum for anonymity where as it enables douch* bags like this to act without consequence, very similar to how people do the same in mobs. Whether this douch* is a Marine or not, he is in need of a good old fashioned blanket party. I have faith that a douch* like this is incapable of keeping his suck shut, and inevitably someone will help him close it. A prime candidate to be curbed.

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 02:47 PM
Rossmuten

:flag: Unfortunately the internet provides a forum for anonymity where as it enables douch* bags like this to act without consequence, very similar to how people do the same in mobs. Whether this douch* is a Marine or not, he is in need of a good old fashioned blanket party. I have faith that a douch* like this is incapable of keeping his suck shut, and inevitably someone will help him close it. A prime candidate to be curbed.Anonymity isn't assured. Every time you hit enter you leave a trail right back to the computer you are using. If these sh-tbirds are for real, and one claims to still be in, it's possible they can be found via an I.P. address. Hope I ain't scaring them to much.:evilgrin:

Gunner 0313
12-10-08, 02:55 PM
Anonymity isn't assured. Every time you hit enter you leave a trail right back to the computer you are using. If these sh-tbirds are for real, and one claims to still be in, it's possible they can be found via an I.P. address. Hope I ain't scaring them to much.:evilgrin:

:flag: Sounds good to me McVet, you find the douch* and I'll rally up a goon squad. Any volunteers ?

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 03:03 PM
:flag: Sounds good to me McVet, you find the douch* and I'll rally up a goon squad. Any volunteers ?Just looked at mutten's profile. He says he's an E-1 but showing a PFC's stripe as an avatar. WTF? Me thinks we have a Poser.:mad:

Marine84
12-10-08, 03:53 PM
:flag: Sounds good to me McVet, you find the douch* and I'll rally up a goon squad. Any volunteers ?

:) Can I, huh? :banana: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gunner 0313
12-10-08, 04:33 PM
:) Can I, huh? :banana: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:flag: Sure banana you can tag along.

rossmuten
12-10-08, 06:03 PM
No Rheinmark im from south east asia and no I dont think the silent drill team is silly I just think its a marketing ploy to sell the story yay!! As if enough people aren't getting exploited as it is.

mcvet57103
12-10-08, 06:12 PM
No Rheinmark im from south east asia and no I dont think the silent drill team is silly I just think its a marketing ploy to sell the story yay!! As if enough people aren't getting exploited as it is.The Silent Drill team is an elite platoon of only the best. All volunteers, how the hell are they being exploited? They show the world how disaplined and elite the Corps is. You sound like one of those Marines who screw up and then blame the Corps for their misfortune, lose their rank, go home disgraced, and then put down the Corps. That is if you are a Marine. This thread was about what inspired you to enlist, not a thread to whine, p-ss, and moan about how unfair you were treated. If you want to whine start your own thread or shut your pie hole.:mad:

rheinmark187
12-11-08, 08:40 AM
Their are so many issues in this and the post before it for me address. But I'm sure a few others will. What comes to mind though is no one made you join, or in the case of the previous post f--kup. To blame the Corps for their traditions is stupid to say the least. The corps doesn't need to change, people like you need to. Your attitude is BS. In the corps attitude is everything. If you had a bad experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. Tradition and formallity is extremely important. Lose our traditions and we lose our superiority, pride, and morale. Look at where the other services have gone by trying to be PC, and babying their members.

What are you talking about?

I never said I had a bad experience. I just said the overemphasis on parade type stuff is silly, from a lot of foreigners perspective. Apparently this guy felt the same way, and he was an immigrant too.

rheinmark187
12-11-08, 08:51 AM
The Silent Drill team is an elite platoon of only the best. All volunteers, how the hell are they being exploited? They show the world how disaplined and elite the Corps is. You sound like one of those Marines who screw up and then blame the Corps for their misfortune, lose their rank, go home disgraced, and then put down the Corps. That is if you are a Marine. This thread was about what inspired you to enlist, not a thread to whine, p-ss, and moan about how unfair you were treated. If you want to whine start your own thread or shut your pie hole.:mad:

Elite Platoon? Maybe when you were in from 1974-1978 when the USMC was reorganizing itself and you were coming out of a war not fighting one.
Think of it this way, does it benefit that 0311 to be doing that when he could be learning his MOS? Honestly, if you get more excited watching the silent drill team over some Static Display, than your priorities are backwards.

rheinmark187
12-11-08, 08:58 AM
No Rheinmark im from south east asia and no I dont think the silent drill team is silly I just think its a marketing ploy to sell the story yay!! As if enough people aren't getting exploited as it is.

I wouldn't really say exploited. There's a lot of GOOD you get out of it, I just wish they would save that stuff for peacetime. Who wants to see a bunch of guys twirling rifles when they could show footage of Marines doing their jobs? I mean did anyone notice that stuff came into vogue (in terms of the All-Volunteer force reallignment) while the Marine Corps wasn't doing much? If you look at old float books and footage from the very late 70's to early 80's they look quite a bit different, there were some droopy moustaches and fat privates.

Things change. Now people don't emphasize what your daily uniform looks like, suddenly tattoos are frowned upon if you want to stay in. Who knows what 8+ years of war will have on the future Marines Corps, and what THEY deem important.

usmc0331
12-11-08, 09:23 AM

a marketing ploy? Your abortion of a post says it all. Go away poser

to the rest of you jarheads----dont get worked up over this. These clowns are just fishing and everytime you post in retaliation it just makes these turd posers smile.

Gunner 0313
12-11-08, 09:52 AM

to the rest of you jarheads----dont get worked up over this. These clowns are just fishing and everytime you post in retaliation it just makes these turd posers smile.

:flag: It's very transparent what these douch* bags are doing, but I'm assuming they really don't like themselves to much and that's why they're here for the beat down.

mcvet57103
12-11-08, 10:21 AM

to the rest of you jarheads----dont get worked up over this. These clowns are just fishing and everytime you post in retaliation it just makes these turd posers smile.:thumbup: Come on this site and Dis the Corps and that's what they get. I'm surprise BigAl hasn't added his two cents worth yet. I'm trying to be civil but it's getting harder everytime they post. Maybe Yellow should take this post to the hooch.

awbrown1462
12-11-08, 10:38 AM
my family always knew I was going in to the Military sence I was young..One day I was sitting in the living room and my uncle who just got back from Vietnam walked in with his Marine Dress Greens on looked at him and said to myself I am going to be one of those and I did

rheinmark187
12-12-08, 04:35 AM
:flag: It's very transparent what these douch* bags are doing, but I'm assuming they really don't like themselves to much and that's why they're here for the beat down.

I know you're not talking about beating me down. I was making an honest criticism, so you may be referring to me, but in no shape or form did you refute what I said. Maybe when you were in from 1997-2001 that stuff seemed like it was important, but not to everyone else who's been in after you.

mcvet57103
12-12-08, 06:45 AM
I know you're not talking about beating me down. I was making an honest criticism, so you may be referring to me, but in no shape or form did you refute what I said. Maybe when you were in from 1997-2001 that stuff seemed like it was important, but not to everyone else who's been in after you.How did you ever make it to Cpl with your mind set? And how can you say "everyone else"? Are you "everyone else? The Silent Drill Team projects the precision, honor, and military bearing of the Corps to all who see them in action. To call them "silly" is to disrespect the entire Marine Corps. Ever watch a video of their performance? Listen to the crowd, that says it all. If you don't have any more pride in the Corps than you display in this thread, maybe you should rethink whether you are a Marine at heart or not. Being a Marine is more than just making it through bootcamp. What I know is, I can never trust any civilian to put his life on the line for me, but every true Marine I have ever met I consider my soul mate, and I know they would in a pinch lay down their life for me. That includes the men on the Silent Drill Team. Every time I see the Silent Drill Team perform I get literally choked up with pride. Calling the Drill Team "silly", or a waste of time, is insulting all us who admire their dedication to the Corps. Also I might add, all Marines regardless of MOS are riflemen first. You can't be a Marine if you can't hit what you are shooting at. So they are equal if not better Marines than a lot of us, as they took the time to learn something that is elite in the most elite fighting force in the world. You can't, in no shape or form, defend your statements with any credibility. So shut your pie hole. :mad:

This will be my last statement on the issue. You and Muten pizz me off, and I got enough grief in my life without sh-tbirds like you causing more.

sparkie
12-12-08, 06:51 AM
Marketing,,,,,,
It was the Marines handling ship to ship combat, 'cause the Navy was always too busy untangeling their ropes.
It's the Marines that can be dropped into a hot LZ NOW, 'cause it takes the Army a week to pack their extra socks.
It was Marines aboard ships at Normandy advising Navy and Army on beach landings.{Bet ya didn't know that one].
The NATIONAL band is the Marine band 'cause we have the disipline to do more than march and chew gum.
The Silent Drill Team? I saw a National Guard commercial using swords,,, so outta sync, they almost hurt themselves.
Marines do embassy duty, 'cause to represent this country, never settle for second best.

I joined because of Marketing Ploys like that, and more.:flag:

NoRemorse
12-12-08, 07:15 AM
Marketing,,,,,,
It was the Marines handling ship to ship combat, 'cause the Navy was always too busy untangeling their ropes.
It's the Marines that can be dropped into a hot LZ NOW, 'cause it takes the Army a week to pack their extra socks.
It was Marines aboard ships at Normandy advising Navy and Army on beach landings.{Bet ya didn't know that one].
The NATIONAL band is the Marine band 'cause we have the disipline to do more than march and chew gum.
The Silent Drill Team? I saw a National Guard commercial using swords,,, so outta sync, they almost hurt themselves.
Marines do embassy duty, 'cause to represent this country, never settle for second best.

I joined because of Marketing Ploys like that, and more.:flag:

Out****ingstanding!!!

OldGruntNamVet
12-12-08, 03:10 PM
Lets ignore these two ****birds,*******s,and deserters and get back to the post "What inspired you to become a Marine" The idiots dont deserve the respect of any reply.
:usmc:Gung Ho and Semper Fi forever:flag:

rheinmark187
12-15-08, 03:36 AM
How did you ever make it to Cpl with your mind set? And how can you say "everyone else"? Are you "everyone else? The Silent Drill Team projects the precision, honor, and military bearing of the Corps to all who see them in action. To call them "silly" is to disrespect the entire Marine Corps. Ever watch a video of their performance? Listen to the crowd, that says it all. If you don't have any more pride in the Corps than you display in this thread, maybe you should rethink whether you are a Marine at heart or not. Being a Marine is more than just making it through bootcamp. What I know is, I can never trust any civilian to put his life on the line for me, but every true Marine I have ever met I consider my soul mate, and I know they would in a pinch lay down their life for me. That includes the men on the Silent Drill Team. Every time I see the Silent Drill Team perform I get literally choked up with pride. Calling the Drill Team "silly", or a waste of time, is insulting all us who admire their dedication to the Corps. Also I might add, all Marines regardless of MOS are riflemen first. You can't be a Marine if you can't hit what you are shooting at. So they are equal if not better Marines than a lot of us, as they took the time to learn something that is elite in the most elite fighting force in the world. You can't, in no shape or form, defend your statements with any credibility. So shut your pie hole. :mad:

This will be my last statement on the issue. You and Muten pizz me off, and I got enough grief in my life without sh-tbirds like you causing more.

Not to everyone else like the 0311's I knew who said that while being stationed at Henderson Hall and Silent Drill Team was a unique rewarding experience, it HAMSTRUNG them in learning their MOS and they had to play catchup because they didn't have the same practical experience as other grunts with their time in service.

And also from talking with people WHEN I WAS IN, like I said in my posts, that felt the Marine Corps should be highlighting the operational fleet, not things that only a tiny percentage of Marines will do. Like I said, maybe it's because my family are mostly foreign military, and the culture doesn't emphasize that as much as the USMC does, but it was something I and many others have noticed. Maybe it was very important when YOU served, but when I was in, I knew plenty of people who thought that stuff should take a back seat. That it should be saved for when the Marine Corps has the luxury to dabble with it.

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 07:27 AM
"That it should be saved for when the Marine Corps has the luxury to dabble with it."

There are no luxuries in the Marine Corps. If you've got the luxury of time while on duty than you done ****ed up. It was asked before and this boot will ask again. How did you make it to corporal with that attitude? How did you make it through boot period?

EVERY last Marine does an important job, no matter how inconsequential it might seem. There are thousands of poolees out there that look at us and listen to how we talk and want to get in on it. There's a mystique about being a United States Marine and ****birds like you make us look like we don't rate.

You may not care about how you look to others but I (and many other Marines on this site) for damn sure care about being hard and tight, gung ho Marines at all times!

Now to atone for my sins of feeding the troll... I'll be in the back room wearing three sets of utes with the hot water on and waiting for an NCO to correct me. L/CPL's and below can wait. :p

Alpha1Devildog
12-15-08, 08:01 AM
I like up close and personal. . . .:evilgrin: The United States Marine Corps gave me that.

FistFu68
12-15-08, 09:45 AM
:evilgrin: I KNEW MANY VIETNAM COMBAT VET'S 0311'S THAT WOULD PUT A BOOT UP YOUR AZZ IN A HEARTBEAT TALKING DOOKIE'BOUT THE SILENT DRILL PLT.ACTUAL MEMBERS OF IT.OTHERS ON PRESIDENTIAL DUTY.WHAT'S WRONG YOU 2 FUCING SHORT OR UNCORDINATED 2 BECOME ONE OR YOU JUST PLAIN JEALIOUS??? 4 EVERY 1 GRUNT IN THA BUSH THEIR ARE 12 DOING VARIOUS DUTIES AS MARINES.IT'S CALLED PRIDE,WE ARE US.MARINES WE DO MANY THINGS AT ONCE AT LEAST MOST OF US DID?:evilgrin: S/F :flag:

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 10:10 AM
I'm new to the site but I can't help but run to a thread when I see that Fist has posted to it.

Semper Fi, God Bless and Godspeed.

rheinmark187
12-15-08, 11:29 AM
"That it should be saved for when the Marine Corps has the luxury to dabble with it."

There are no luxuries in the Marine Corps. If you've got the luxury of time while on duty than you done ****ed up. It was asked before and this boot will ask again. How did you make it to corporal with that attitude? How did you make it through boot period?

EVERY last Marine does an important job, no matter how inconsequential it might seem. There are thousands of poolees out there that look at us and listen to how we talk and want to get in on it. There's a mystique about being a United States Marine and ****birds like you make us look like we don't rate.

You may not care about how you look to others but I (and many other Marines on this site) for damn sure care about being hard and tight, gung ho Marines at all times!

Now to atone for my sins of feeding the troll... I'll be in the back room wearing three sets of utes with the hot water on and waiting for an NCO to correct me. L/CPL's and below can wait. :p

It sounds like you're the one with the insecurity pal. Also, who in the hell is talking about poolees?? Actual Fleet Marines are coming from a totally different level of experience.

"If you've got the luxury of time while on duty than you done ****ed up."

You just proved what I said....It's not something you spend much time at all worrying about in the fleet. You're worrying about much, much more important things. If you don't understand that, then I wonder how much time you've spent in the actual fleet Marine force. You sound like someone who's whole range of experience was boot camp, SOI, maybe mos school, and some time in the fleet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wyoming
12-15-08, 11:32 AM
Ease up rheinmark187, not only are you making friends at a snails pace, but methinks you'll be shunted off to the land of timeoff, iffen you ain't careful.

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 11:40 AM
I've been in the back for a few hours now and I haven't been smoked yet. That leads me to believe that either I'm good to go or I'll get thrashed when I least expect it.

And like I said, there's that certain feeling deep in your chest; the same one poolees are hunting for. That's why they're trying to enlist. That's why they're trying to make the cut. America does not look the same through the eyes of a Marine; and neither does freedom.

You don't have to have the quiet professionalism of a Scout/Sniper or a Recon Marine. You don't need to have shiny stuff on your collar either. All you have to have is a dream that ends in you getting that EGA; that's all you need to realize that being a Marine is special. It's the most elite brotherhood, the one with the highest morale and the most reprehensible morales. We've got mouths like sailors; twice the venereal disease and the ability to go days straight, eat some chow, make a head call in the field and do it all over again.

There's no movie crap; just the pop of the rifle in your hand and the thunder of your heels on the deck. We've got more commercials than ever and they show stuff that isn't as important as the Marines themselves doing it. Fleet, band, reserves; it doesn't matter. Every Marine; dark, light or Gyrene has the power to inspire others.

Inspiration goes both ways, and hopefully they won't follow your lead, rheinmark.

rheinmark187
12-15-08, 12:01 PM
I've been in the back for a few hours now and I haven't been smoked yet. That leads me to believe that either I'm good to go or I'll get thrashed when I least expect it.

And like I said, there's that certain feeling deep in your chest; the same one poolees are hunting for. That's why they're trying to enlist. That's why they're trying to make the cut. America does not look the same through the eyes of a Marine; and neither does freedom.

You don't have to have the quiet professionalism of a Scout/Sniper or a Recon Marine. You don't need to have shiny stuff on your collar either. All you have to have is a dream that ends in you getting that EGA; that's all you need to realize that being a Marine is special. It's the most elite brotherhood, the one with the highest morale and the most reprehensible morales. We've got mouths like sailors; twice the venereal disease and the ability to go days straight, eat some chow, make a head call in the field and do it all over again.

There's no movie crap; just the pop of the rifle in your hand and the thunder of your heels on the deck. We've got more commercials than ever and they show stuff that isn't as important as the Marines themselves doing it. Fleet, band, reserves; it doesn't matter. Every Marine; dark, light or Gyrene has the power to inspire others.

Inspiration goes both ways, and hopefully they won't follow your lead, rheinmark.

No need to be evasive, simple answers are fine.;)

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 12:11 PM
No need to be evasive, simple answers are fine.;)

Sure as sh!t didn't see a question. Saw you making generalizations about me. Saw some comments; the problem is that you don't fit here; so I fail to see why you're still here.

Let me make a generalization about you: you're a troll and you like to stir sh!t up. Regardless of whether or not you served the way you're acting now tells me you're a non-hacker.

I don't associate with non-hackers; they tend to get you killed. You know... all that fluffy crap you heard during training about your stupidity getting somebody else killed.

Unfortunately this thread has been poisoned and we'll have to either ask a mod to move it to the hooch or surround the perimeter and throw enough Gyrene bodies at it so that it never forgets where it came from.

rheinmark187
12-15-08, 12:46 PM
Sure as sh!t didn't see a question. Saw you making generalizations about me. Saw some comments; the problem is that you don't fit here; so I fail to see why you're still here.

Let me make a generalization about you: you're a troll and you like to stir sh!t up. Regardless of whether or not you served the way you're acting now tells me you're a non-hacker.

I don't associate with non-hackers; they tend to get you killed. You know... all that fluffy crap you heard during training about your stupidity getting somebody else killed.

Unfortunately this thread has been poisoned and we'll have to either ask a mod to move it to the hooch or surround the perimeter and throw enough Gyrene bodies at it so that it never forgets where it came from.

You don't even have the slightest clue of what you're talking about. I'm not one to make folks feel bad about things they probably didn't have control over but.....your posts say it all.

yellowwing
12-15-08, 12:50 PM
Alright that's enough of thus Mickey Mouse BS. The End.