PDA

View Full Version : Poolee question about AG rating.

kbg1010
11-20-08, 09:10 PM
I enlisted in the marines back in july of 08. My ship date is December 15th. My contract is AG, which is Program Description: Aircrew/Flight Mechanic/Navigator. Military Occupatioal Fields in Option: 6100, 6200, 7300.
If I meet all the requirements does this mean that I will get picked up for aircrew candidate school or is every job under AG aircrew? Im not really sure. I have one of those recruiters that just tells me the bare minimums. Or am I likely going to be put in as a mechanic on a fixed wing or helicoter? I really want to be aircrew. Is there anything I should do to better my chances to get aircrew.

sparkie
11-20-08, 09:40 PM
Learn to flap and fly,,,,,,,,

onux16
11-22-08, 02:22 PM
sparkie, that doesn't help him at all.

kbg1010, I do believe we have spoken before in the past. To help you with any questions you have, check out the Crew Chief - MOS? (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29278&highlight=crew+chief) thread first, then email me if you can't find the answer.

When you go to NACCS in Pensacola, you will receive your assignment to C-130's (62xx), helicopter crew chief (61xx), or what seems like UAV's (73xx). Typically the Marines with poor vision are assigned C-130's, and when I went through, nobody got the 73xx options. I don't know if the 73xx guys went somewhere other than Pensacola after MCT, but it seems like that would be the case. Basically, if you have 20/100 vision or better, you can expect helos.

When I went through, I volunteered as class cadence caller. It apparently gave me the option to choose my platform. I don't know if they still afford this option today, but it's worth a shot.

kbg1010
11-22-08, 04:38 PM
Thanks Marine. That helps a lot.

blevins
11-23-08, 04:09 PM
Feel free to message me with any questions you might have. I just completed the entire training process and get pinned in a few days. I am a 6173 for the 53E. I have friends on all the other platforms as well so I can answer some questions about those too. 22's C-130's, H-1, etc.

onux16
11-23-08, 07:27 PM
@blevins
congratulations, bro! Welcome to the aviation community.

If there is something I haven't included throughout this thread, please share. It's great to have some insight from fellow crew chiefs on other platforms. (just no "Mine is better" wars, ok?)